Your Ad Could Be Here

Independent publishing/productions

• Noob

Ive been a musician most of my life, and just recently started to produce my own work. Ive found i may never be the best guitarist, or drummer, but i do have one thing going for me! Im able to write and compose lyrics and melodies. Now with this passion, how do i make it a living? Well, with minor research, ive found that starting a label would be the wrong move. I would like to start a publishing business, and branch into a productions label. My goal is to give some control back to the artists and performers. Any hints or tips for my journey?

Hey

As you can probably guess, much of it is about making and maintaining contacts, and making the most of them once you have them. As a publisher placement of tracks with mainly production companies is vital... sync rights are still very valuable.Old school publishing contracts of the 70s, 80s and 90s are far less common. Administration deals are where it is at... the only issue being that publishers have far less rights. In fact more recently they have no rights. It's more about service provision to the writer... and the writer has the power to walk away any time they want. At the same time, there is far less speculation on the part of the publisher... less risk. They get paid for what they do, simple as that. At the same time, you do not need to speculate money as publishing advances. ie no rights owned, lower percentage profit, but less speculation costs. It is not so much of an investment... more of a simple service transaction.

You need to have great relationships with production companies, artists, managers, labels and even radio programmers. Making and building those relationships takes a significant investment of time... and that is a big part of your risk. I hope your negotiating skills are good?

Running a label can work... but it is more of a risk. These days, I wouldn't do it without at least the experience built from multiple self-releases.... otherwise it is a bottomless pit of ways to lose money. It is also much harder to make money. The income streams are different, and often music is simply a loss leader, a promotion tool, while the products are merchandise and live performance ticket sales.That said, many labels are branching into other areas of the music industry including publishing.

You probably know all that already, but hey :)

Cheers

John