Your Ad Could Be Here

Leaving 32 bit plug ins behind?

I've recently upgraded to a 64bit daw on my windows 10 pro computer (yeah I know I'm slow to the party)  After install the first thing I thought about was moving my current lineup of plugins to the new(er) computer.   I started by downloading my tried and true Korg Legacy Collection. Now in 64bit.  In the past I'd simply run the old 32 bit version as I really didn't think it would make a difference regarding sound quality.  Well,,,, I was wrong.  Korg not only moved the vst from 32 to 64 they also enhanced the M1's oscillators  as well as included some new combi's.  Quite stunning.

I have jbrigde - https://jstuff.wordpress.com/jbridge/  So I can keep the old faves on the new host if I desire but... I'm wondering if I should bother.  It's not about space.  I have a .5 terrabyte SSD drive and  2 terrabyte hard drive on my computer.  It's more about time.... Do I really want to move tonnes of 32bit plugins over when I may use one once a year.  

How many plugins is enough for you and where do you draw the line in the sand?

Facing the same dilemma. My PC just crashed and I need to rebuild. My Singer/Producer feels the need to have everything he can get his hands on. I'm more of a minimalist so I have to find a happy medium as well. 

• 3 weeks later...

Jbridge is a great tool for 32 to 64 bit conversion;

I don't need jbridge as Mixcraft 7 pro has a built in bit convertor

• 6 months later...

Same here with my DAW. It has a built in conversion. I only use 32 bit versions of plugs if I don't have the 64bit versions. The only problem with having both types for me is it isn't readily apparent which is which. I have to do some investigation into the folder/source. In most cases it really doesn't matter a whole lot which I use.

If I buy new software and it offers me the option to use either 32 or 64 bit I always choose 64bit versions.

Ever since my linnstrument died I've had no interest in midi whatsoever.  The linn as it was is a wonderful instrument.  And not that I can afford it I'm more interested in the new mini12 ztar clipper

Until I win the powerball or the megamillions.  I'll just have to make due with playing guitar.

Cool stuff Mike. 

My most use of midi is usually playing both a audio/midi track on piano simultaneous. That way I can go back to a different sound if i want to. Edit boo boos occasionally.

I use it for drums sometimes too for the same reason.There still isn't anything out there that allows for so much ability to change a thing after it's been played.

Reminds me, I bought a few lottery tickets yesterday I haven't checked yet ;)

Archived