Your Ad Could Be Here

Steinberg stops support for 32 bit VST plugins

Here it is...http://www.steinberg.net/en/newsandevents/news/newsdetail/article/future-proof-os-relying-on-64-bit-3778.html

I'm not a Steinberg user.  I gave up on it many many years back.  Having been in the software field for many many years now I can tell you...Nothing is future proof.  There will be something unforseen that will require a hard decision on when to leave legacy support behind simply because that's the only way for a product to advance  Is this an advancement or simply a way to not fix issues with cubase and it's own bit bridge technology?

While you can still use 3rd party bit bridges such as jBridge usage will be unsupported.  .

Steinberg is owned by Yamaha. While Yamaha has done a great deal for the hardware industry over the years including advancing Line6 technology after squiring it  However one can wonder what type of investment / oversight Yammy is giving to Stienny.  Yamaha was responsible for Steingberg's move to a subscription model.  There is a lot to be said for Stienberg in the past. Steny gave us VST/VSTI OST technology.  They designed and developed the sdk's and the early versions had no restrictions on use.  This allowed the freeware market we have today.  However when VST3 came out Stieny became quite restrictive of use and licensing fees.  Which is why you won't find freeware and smaller vst companies not porting to VST3 it's not just about 64bit format.

• 1 month later...

I guess it was always going to happen sooner or later.  It caused me a fair amount of heartache and pecuniary liability moving everything across to 64 bit, but there's no doubt that it pays for itself in the end.

I only have one 32 bit issue in my 64 bit world

I got around to installing proteus VX on my windows 10 machine.  I have jbridge so that's a non issue with 64bit Daws and 32 bit plugins.  What kills is that I can only run PVX in standalone mode.  It has endless issues with permission errors regardless of how the daw is installed / run and the plugin is installed /run.  Then again PVX was only designed to run on Win98.

Not a surprise on this end given Steinberg's very poor bridge. They never got that right. They could have added support for jBridge for cheap and seemingly did not care enough to bother. I was with them as both my first DAW and for a long time. The bridge issue and the audio engine performance that was touted by them as "fixed" around version 8 or so in a supposed complete re-code that to me performed about the same as prior versions was near the last straw for me. The final blow was their customer support and forum. They just did not seem to care anymore about what long term customers were saying. If you dared mention anything about that in the forum there you were banned. An example of the poor 32 bridge support was a little vsti I had called broomstick bass. It was a poorly written plug but had pretty good bass & tone samples. It crashed like crazy under the Cubase native bridge. Though jBridge made it tolerable the thing was still a ticking time bomb. I finally move to Reaper and the plug runs like a champ and is very stable in that DAW. Then too I have to wonder about Komplete support as even the newest version (11 I think) is still 32 bit, which is to me behind the times. But the point is that will not be supported in Cubase either it would seem. All the above simply means Steinberg lost me as a loyal customer and I am not looking back.

LB