Your Ad Could Be Here

Using separate files for one "Master" file

I've been thinking here and have a question about peoples DAWs. I'm going to use my Adobe Indesign graphic program to explain what I mean. For working on our newspaper, lets say we have a 16 page paper. I can create a master document that has other InDesign files placed on the pages. For example. I place in page 10. Then there is an actual Page 10 file that I work on. I can make changes to it and then when I open the master file, it updates those changes I made to page 10.

Now with recording, does anyone do anything similar? I can see it may have advantages when working on a tune with a lot of tracks. Lets say I have a "drum" file with 10 tracks on it. I place that in the master. When I make changes to it the master updates. I'm not sure if this is necessary but I have had songs that after I get too many tracks I start to get latency issues. That may be resolved by using this "master" method. So I'm really just curious as to what other people think of the idea. Completely useless? Could be good? And does your software allow you to do it?

• 7 months later...

I actually think it sounds interesting! I've been working in a lot of different DAWs but never heard of that possibility. Often when you do the mastering when you find problems in the mix you have to go back to that mixproject, correct the mix, bounce it and go back to the masterproject. So, the advantage of what you're suggesting could be a time saver. Of course you could do the mastering in the mixproject as well but I tend to like to bounce a stereo file and then start the mastering from scratch, somehow the bounce puts it all together...

Have you thought more of this? Maybe heard of any DAWs with that feature?