Your Ad Could Be Here

• Noob

Hello,

My name is Jim Chalker.  I live in the United States, in southern Ohio near Cincinnati, though I was born in Aruba and have lived in The Netherlands, Florida, Puerto Rico, South Carolina, and Virginia (plus a little time in California if you count military service).  I am about to turn 62, and have been trying to write songs since my 20s.  In my earlier years I wrote whole compositions.  But lately I have been finding it ever more difficult to come up with melodies.  I don’t think I was ever particularly good at them anyway.  Nonetheless, I feel like I am coming into my own as a lyricist.  My lyrics are fairly explicit as opposed to abstract and therefore probably suited to country music more than most other genres.  But my favorite music is southern rock. 

I would love to connect with a melody writer or writers who can appreciate my work and put it to good tunes.  I don’t play much myself, though I used to play guitar.  Fingers don’t work all that well these days.  So I can give you lyrics from which to write.  If you need to adjust the rhythm I can work with you on that.  I will be happy to share samples with anyone.  I might even suggest some musical phrases or even tunes as a starting point from time to time. 

I will probably never make a living at this because I am not a writing machine.  You can’t sit me down and say, “Write a song about such and such.”  Lyrics come to me from wherever and whenever.  When they do I write.  As I say, I can adjust to fit someone’s melody.  But any collaboration would likely be occasional and perhaps spontaneous. 

I will be posting some of my stuff in the proper forums, only copyrighted materials.  I have recorded a few demos, only one of quality.  Actually I get people to record for me.  My one quality demo was done by a Grammy winning musician, Clay Hess.  He did a nice job on my song and was easy to work with. 

What I hope to get out of Songstuff would be to see something I wrote just be good enough to be heard and recorded in professional music circles, to have a song perhaps on the radio that I could point to and say, “I had a part in writing that.”  I suppose that’s a pretty common desire among songwriters, isn’t it.  Well there you have me.  Nothing too exciting I suppose.  I hope something comes of this.  I thank you for taking the time to read this far. 

• Like 1

Welcome, James!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Welcome to Songstuff.

I hope you enjoy being here   :)

Janeva