Your Ad Could Be Here

Headphones for mixing

Hello all,

My headphones are broken... given up trying to fix them... so I need new ones.

I can't always have my monitors on so the headphones need to be good for mixing when needed. 

I won't be replacing the crappy ones that just broke...  So can anyone recommend good ones which you have experience of?.... Again they really need to be good enough for mixing. My budget is maybe around £100 or thereabouts. 

Thanks 

Dek

1 hour ago, tunesmithth said:

Thought I recalled a recent conversation about headphones....found it. You may find something useful here -

Thank you! :)

2 hours ago, HoboSage said:

These are what I'm using now for mixing, Dek.  I love them, and their specs measure up to others that are a lot more expensive.  They also get great reviews in the industry, in addition to those who bought them on Amazon.   https://www.amazon.com/Samson-SR850-Professional-Reference-Headphones/dp/B002LBSEQS  * The description on Amazon says "Open ear design for maximum isolation."  They're semi-open backs, and that description should read "Over-ear design for maximum isolation - i.e., the cans cover the whole ear.

I also typically use them for recording, unless I"m doing something really quiet where I might really need fully closed backs.  I have a $20.00 pair of closed-back Sony's I got at Walmart for that, or I'll just use ear buds - fidelity when monitoring for recording doesn't matter.

Cool, thanks David. Yeah I have some closed backs for recording, just can't miix with them ... These Samson's sound like the ones to try, they're under £40 here, and no doubting your mix quality so... off to Amazon I go.... 

Cheers,

Dek

• 1 month later...

I was thinking about getting these:

AKG K 240 Semi-Open Studio Headphones

https://www.amazon.com/AKG-240-Semi-Open-Studio-Headphones/dp/B0001ARCFA/ref=sr_1_4

The Samsons have a slightly broader frequency range and they're cheaper. MonoStone, what do you think of the Samsons?

6 hours ago, BenStoller said:

I was thinking about getting these:

AKG K 240 Semi-Open Studio Headphones

https://www.amazon.com/AKG-240-Semi-Open-Studio-Headphones/dp/B0001ARCFA/ref=sr_1_4

The Samsons have a slightly broader frequency range and they're cheaper. MonoStone, what do you think of the Samsons?

I LOVE them. They probably beat my monitors to be honest (which might have more to do with my room than the monitors). Listening to some old favourites I hear sounds I'd never noticed before, and so clearly. Never tried AKG240's but the Samsons are a million times better than my old AKG99's (although those are cheapo AKGs).

Okay, after extensive research (including David's and MonoStones opinions) I've decided on the Samsons. Reviewers say the AKGs are a bit muddy compared to the Samsons, and the Samsons should be a bit louder due to lower impedance.

Thanks! :)

These are what I use Dek.  I can't say I have had alot of others to compare, however, but they seem to do the job. ... Sony MDR 7506

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MDR7506?adpos=1o1&creative=55678058761&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=CLvCt4XTis8CFUw6gQodXw8DuQ

16 hours ago, GocartMoz said:

These are what I use Dek.  I can't say I have had alot of others to compare, however, but they seem to do the job. ... Sony MDR 7506

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MDR7506?adpos=1o1&creative=55678058761&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=CLvCt4XTis8CFUw6gQodXw8DuQ

Thanks Dave, I already went with the Samsons which David recommended ... love them! :) 

• 2 weeks later...

I've been using ATH-M50's since I can remember. My dogs chewed the cord on the first pair so I bought the ones with the replaceable cord. ATH-M50x I think. Great for those times when  monitors aren't an option. 

I like them a lot.