Your Ad Could Be Here

The Music You Made That Never Made It

I thought it might be fun to dig around on the hard drive and post some of the music that you kept but either didn't finish or didn't think was ready yet. What do you think? 

yep , but mine  are in video format , to help convey my idea for the song , and I suppose I wanted to have more involvement in the making of the song , rather than just writing the    lyric  and having an idea for the melody , then finding someone to sing it ,  I felt uncomfortable calling it " my song " unless I contributed more parts to the end product , 

So if I can upload a music video , ?...yep .

The title of this thread is The Music You Made That Never Made It

I am not sure if this is considered music that i made , if i did not sing on it ?

I wrote the lyrics , suggested a melody , found the vocalist i wanted , then put it all together on my laptop .

Made in March 2014 .

Edited by teek
  • Like 1

I wish I could listen now but I'm not at my studio computer. I'll check these out as soon as I can. It will be interesting to hear what you think doesn't make it, or didn't make it.

Technically nothing I've made has "made it" in terms of marketing, because I haven't tried..... I have bits and pieces of things that might have some potential. I'm willing to share some of that here maybe it it isn't too bad :)

I was thinking more about the kinds of things that you seen some potential in and they might have started to take shape, but for some reason didn't pass your personal  satisfaction, the motive being that maybe someone else might like it or see another angle to it that could help it to finally take some kind of shape. 

Maybe it's a chorus with a great hook, maybe it's a lyric or a riff???

Ohh I have sooo many songs, that are in private on SC. That I never will show or play to anyone. 

I can show this one though: I thought it had some great harmony parts and I like to sing on Norwegian and I felt it had some "enya" moment in it. I wanted to add some soft river stream effects in it as I wanted it to be etherical.

The more I listened to it, the more I felt referances to a witch cooking in her kettle.. hahah :) Suddenly nothing worked in this song. I felt everything became wrong :) So i did not develope it more. I got a little put off :)

haha

Edited by Achazia
  • Like 1

This one just fell out as soon as it found itself. 

I wanted to go back and rework the lyrics and get some harmonica Dylan vibes going but you know, I just dunno. lol

On 8/8/2016 at 6:25 PM, Richard Tracey said:

Do we have enough space for around 400 tracks in various states of completion!!!

This might be like eating an elephant...one bite at a time. Since we mostly link to other sites here I think you could  put a few up at a time. It isn't really my call though. This is John's site.

On 8/8/2016 at 8:55 PM, tunesmithth said:

An epic-fail of mine from the late 90's. Best I can recall, it was never intended as a "marketable tune". I wrote it because of a conversation with a coworker in which a 3rd employee was referred to as a real "company man". My response...."hey, there's a song in that"! The rest is history! LOL It also gave me an opportunity to play with a new toy...a volume pedal. Recorded with a 4-track cassette deck, later converted to digital format.

I don't think this is an epic fail IMO. You did a lot with just a fourtrack. The tune is well played and sung! It has a dated feel to it but that's a given.....not a bad thing. If this is a fail it's a nice fail :)

On 8/8/2016 at 11:49 PM, teek said:

I am not sure if this is considered music that i made , if i did not sing on it ?

I wrote the lyrics , suggested a melody , found the vocalist i wanted , then put it all together on my laptop .

You played a large part in the creation of this so I think it's a good contender.I love the concept of this and It makes me want to do something similar with my old photos. I think this would make a wonderful idea to refine musically a bit more. Did you do anything to attempt to help the song "make it"? I just wonder why you felt it had no value or didn't make it.

3 hours ago, Achazia said:

I can show this one though: I thought it had some great harmony parts and I like to sing on Norwegian and I felt it had some "enya" moment in it. I wanted to add some soft river stream effects in it as I wanted it to be etherical.

The more I listened to it, the more I felt referances to a witch cooking in her kettle.. hahah :) Suddenly nothing worked in this song. I felt everything became wrong :) So i did not develope it more. I got a little put off :)

haha

Hi Gry,

Well it certainly sounds as if there are possibilities. I guess at some point we decide that a thing isn't worth further effort, but we keep it around just in case we might want to work with it later. You have the structure down on it pretty well and some nice vocal work there. Maybe walking away from things for awhile and coming back can bring some new life to it?  Take care!

1 hour ago, Mahesh said:

I wanted to go back and rework the lyrics and get some harmonica Dylan vibes going but you know, I just dunno. lol

A wonderful example of a 1+1 done well. If this is your bad your good must be really good.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, starise said:

You played a large part in the creation of this so I think it's a good contender.I love the concept of this and It makes me want to do something similar with my old photos. I think this would make a wonderful idea to refine musically a bit more. Did you do anything to attempt to help the song "make it"? I just wonder why you felt it had no value or didn't make it.

Thank You Starise ,

I don't think the song is "popular "  as it didn't get many hits / views on Youtube , and I even sent it into an "Opportunity " on a site called Music Clout , they list opportunities to have your songs "picked up " by Music Libraries  , and Music Supervisors , etc, , it didn't get chosen .

Thanks , Tunesmith , for your kind words ,  I rated my song as " Not making It " because no one wanted to listen to it ,   YOURS GOT PLAYED ON RADIO , to me that has "made it " :clapping: 

• Like 1

Tom I almost cried listening to that last one and I don't even follow the St Louis Rams....almost seems way too nice for a sports song . :)

I'll try posting one. I was looking around and found this on my HD from March...it had vocals and i didn't like them so I left them out. It needs some more work. If it wasn't for this thread I would have probably forgotten it. I played it all in my small studio one day in March percussion and all.  I didn't like it and had shelved it. Since coming back to it, I think I'll work on it some more. 

Edited by starise

Figure I should post one. It's not finished at all. There was a recent post where I commented I hadn't gotten stuck on a song. Well, I hadn't until this one. It started just playing around with sounds and stuff and when I got it to this point I liked it, but realized I wanted to change or redo everything about it. So, here it sits.

Edited by Just1L

Yeah, I caught a glimpse of the Rams game today. The Rams song seems more appropriate now. ;) 

Star, you could definitely do some things with that old song for sure.

On August 10, 2016 at 5:02 AM, Achazia said:

I didn't get the witch vibe. Seems like that would be a good thing to go back to at some point. Needs a little more, but sounds great.

Mahesh

I hadn't heard a raw song like this from you in a long time. It's a really great sound even in its rawest form. I think that walking on a wire song was the first I heard of yours on another forum, instantly hooked to the sound. Honestly, I didn't find anything really wrong with this one at all. 

Edited by Just1L

17 hours ago, tunesmithth said:

What you've got seems decent enough Randy :thumbsup2: Nice title too..."RRR". Has a real ring to it, ya' know! LOL

You're feeling like you want to change it all, eh? Obviously you could, OR maybe you could chip away at it...changing small bits & see how you like the direction?

The one thought I had was some fluctuation in the vocal effect. Your signature doubling should be fine for the majority of it, but maybe try mixing it up a bit...make a few of your ending phrases single vocal, panned heavily to one side or another, with heavy-thick reverb to make em sound distant.

I don't know...just a thought, but I figured I'd share it.

Thanks for joining in our failure game! :P

Tom

Thanks Tom. I chipped away a few times at this before arriving to this point. The droning background noise would stay but I'd want to re-sing, new bass line, new keyboard parts and add a lot to the drums. I'm not sold on the style of it compared to my other tunes and there is no guitar. Which, I started this to take a break from the guitar and it seemed to work. I now really want to do a tune with guitars. It'll remain in a holding pattern for a while I suspect. Failure's the best path to success. :)

Forgot to add … yes the vocals. That's what I think I need to figure out next in my tunes. I'll give your suggestion a whirl on my next tune. :)

On 8/11/2016 at 9:13 PM, tunesmithth said:

As for yours, I like what you have so far. From the get-go it reminded me of old Jefferson Airplane. A number of specific tunes come to mind..."Lather" being one. In it's current form, it seems to lack defined shape. I suspect the addition of a central melody will take care of that nicely. Good luck with it & thanks!

Thanks Tom. I seem to do a lot of things that meander. The vox was the melody, but it was really bad. Imagine me trying to sings two steps higher than I'm capable of lol!

On 8/14/2016 at 1:58 PM, tunesmithth said:

.and here's another :P

Written in early 98, this is another 4-track cassette deck recording (Tascam 424).

I experimented with a lot of genres back-in-the-day, as you'll hear. It starts with a pretty standard feel, but give it a minute...you'll see what I mean.
When I listened to this, my first thought was - "I wonder why I didn't use vocal harmonies?" 

Then I looked up the date & way in which it was recorded. Simple answer...only 4 tracks to work with...duh! LOL 

If the mix wasn't so muddy, I'd consider loading it into my digital deck, adding a few harmonies & remixing. But I'm not sure it's worth the effort!

I think this shows your early abilities in composition. If it's a clinker it's not really a bad clinker. You had the structure down. It is a shame those 4 tracks weren't very good but it was either the 4 track ot nothing.

On 8/14/2016 at 7:50 PM, Just1L said:

Figure I should post one. It's not finished at all. There was a recent post where I commented I hadn't gotten stuck on a song. Well, I hadn't until this one. It started just playing around with sounds and stuff and when I got it to this point I liked it, but realized I wanted to change or redo everything about it. So, here it sits.

You're a good acoustic guy who also does well with the computer stuff. If you don't think it has any future, maybe it would be a good candidate for something to use a few things from?

Frankly I'm surprised that there are as many people willing to post their junk. I have a few that you probably couldn't pay me to post :) FWIW none of these really are that bad and some are quite good.

Some of these things have taken hours to play with. I have taken a whole day on something and threw it away.

I'm pretty sure my recording  chops are getting rusty now since I've gone whole hog into learning the fiddle. I can't seem to change gears when I'm doing something...so recording and composing has taken to  the back burner these last 6 months.......but.......I hope to present a decent fiddle part soon!

Good work on those clunkers!! I'll look at another of my hard drives and see if I can post another one and still be seen in public. :)