Your Ad Could Be Here

The Music You Made That Never Made It

3 hours ago, starise said:

maybe it would be a good candidate for something to use a few things from?

Yeah, that's the current plan. :)

Keep em coming Tom :) 

I made this before I learned audio engineering, using a four-track, a ten quid microphone from Tandy and a DI'd guitar with distortion and a sweeping phaser added with CoolEditPro.  The bass was DI'd as well and the drums were provided by Fruity Loops.  I then sent the backing track away to Paris where the brilliant Amélie Lenoir put the vocals on it.  I then added backing vox by a girl called Katrine whom I used to work with, still using the ten quid mic.  The piano is one of those little botempi keyboards for kids.

You could say that it's rebellion against the good produced sound... :P 

And let's be honest, Amélie looks absolutely stunning in the photos.

Edited by Prometheus
  • Like 1

Yeah, it's an old one that...  Late 1990's, maybe 2000.

Tom that "crooning" as you say in those last two was nicely done!

Prometheus-  I like the haunting sound that track has, actually pretty good considering everything you've said.

Here's one I made back in 2013 and for some unknown reason I called it furter......I was probably tired and this was the first thing that popped into my head. I had forgotten I made it....this is music only with what I feel is a sci fi feel.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Tom...ok you have another one? :)

What a great idea for a thread.  I think I suggested something like this previously.  I may have to dust off those old cassettes and reel to reels.  Enjoying the listens.

Wiped away the cobwebs and found this tune I wrote in college while at Penn State University.  I think it was '83, but could have been '84.  Recorded it in the party room of my fraternity house, with a frat brother of mine. We both played rhythm guitar and I picked a pretty horrible lead break on acoustic.  I sang lead and my buddy sang back-up.  He was and I am sure still is a much better singer than I.  He actually should have sang lead on it, but we decided when we recorded about 6 or 7 of our tunes, he would sing his originals and I would sing mine.  I think this was his favorite of mine.  I somewhat cringe listening to it now.  I am trying to remember how we recorded it and I think we went direct into a single track cassette deck.  I don't recall it being multi-tracked.  It actually isn't a bad recording considering the gear.  The acoustics were great in that room though.  I think all the beer soaked walls and floors helped. Actually I think my buddy applied some magic to the recording years later and cleaned it up a bit, which I am certain is how this recording sounds even 1/2 as good as it does today (and I mean the quality of the recording, not the song :) ).  Recording quality credit goes to him.  Crappy songwriting credit goes to me. :)

It is private on SC ...

Edited by GocartMoz

Guest Rob Ash

I didn't start working on home recording until 2009. I had just been through back to back emergency surgeries to save my right leg from amputation, and had been let go from my job due to the very serious nature of the health problems i was facing at that time. I later had to apply for disability, and so ended my career. Anways, I was lying in a hospital bed in Denton Texas, and I ended up looking up some old rock and roll buddies on facebook. I actually found several. I ended up re-establishing an active friendship with a guy (lead guitar player) from an old band I was in, and he ended up helping me take my first steps towards recording and crafting songs at home.

Some of those first efforts were really raw, as you can imagine. I've never put myself out as a professional, and do not consider myself one now, but I am a damn sight better than I was then.

One of my earliest efforts was supposed to be a bubble gum rock tune. Simple, appealing to a younger set. My sound on the whole is dated, I don't try to fight that. So the tune, like much of my work, would fit better in an 80's playlist than in a current one. That said, here is "Stop Wasting My Time"... one of the first complete tunes I ever put together on my own, working from my home studio.

https://www.reverbnation.com/robashrocks/song/10025850-stop-wastin-my-time

It doesn't take a professionally trained ear to pick out all flubs, mishits, and examples of crappy timing. The vast majority of this was one take and done. The point was to work on composition and mixing, not to write a really superior tune. I was learning the ins and outs of my DAW, as well as coming to grips with the wholly unforgiving nature of digital recording. So on this tune, I did not worry over much with trying to get it perfect. All of that would come later, and is, frankly, still a work in progress.Also, I've never been a lead guitarist. I don't solo for crap. The truth of that statement is made apparent in this song.

I always meant to flesh this out. It's dated badly, as far as the lyrics go. I'd need to rewrite the lyrics, and of course redo the music from the ground up. I kind of like the riff in this, but mostly this was just a simple ditty I could use to learn to put all the pieces together at home. As such, it's premiere quality is it's simplicity.

Edited by Rob Ash

• 2 weeks later...

I think this is a pretty good early work. Especially if you were just learning DAW work. I could hear some of that high harmony this genre is famous for in it. I had to listen on a bass light system, so I probably missed a lot of the quality of it. Nice Rob!