Your Ad Could Be Here

Memorable Music Fan Moments?

I thought I would share one of my most memorable music fan moments from when I was a kid in primary school. We had a school trip visiting a local historic house called Bramall Hall which is a beautiful black and white Tudor mansion which dates back to the 14th Century.

I always liked history but it was a summer day and we started to take more notice of what was happening outside.  Lots of cables were being dragged around the place and large vehicles were being parked up.  We eventually persuaded our teachers to allow us outside where we discovered a pop show called 'Lift Off' was being filmed in the gardens.  One of my favourite bands of the time, Sparks, were rehearsing 'This Town Ain't Big Enough for Both of Us'  outside the hall on the grass.  I think the foundations were shaken that day. 

It was the best school history trip I ever went on    :D

• Like 1

I'm not sure if this is a 'fan moment' or just me being a sad old git going on about the good old days...

I once did a showcase at Nomis in London.... Being a Northern nobody I thought it would just be another crappy rehearsal type place... but apparently it was some kind of big time rock star place. Bumped into Paul Weller in the corridor and had a quick 'chat'.... Hall & Oats were in there too but must have been avoiding me...

Oh and I used to rehearse in the room next to the Stone Roses before I knew who they were. 

• Like 3

Now this is a cool topic.

For me, it was the first time I met my music hero, Midge Ure. He played the Town Hall in Falkirk in the late 80's and I met him at the end. I asked if I could take his picture and used my new Fuji mu(?) camera and he saw this and asked to have a look. We then spent about 10 minutes talking about my camera as he is into photography and loved the look of the camera. It is one of those moments when you realise just how nice a guy he is.

He also told me why the Visage songs sounded like him singing. Steve Strange couldn't sing, so Midge sang the songs and played it through the headphones for Steve to copy.

• Like 2

• Editors

I'd bought my tickets to the Lucy Rose concert that happened in Bangalore couple months back. The very evening of the gig, I get a call from the venue if I'd want to open for her. Was quite an opportunity!

Speaking to her in the green room about her experiences back in the UK supporting acts like Damien Rice (Damien f**king Rice! For me that's it!), Neil Young and so on was quite something. I wouldn't have been surprised if there was a sparkle in my eye throughout!

LucyAndI.jpg

<3

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/08/2016 at 3:18 AM, HoboSage said:

I remember Sparks!  Didn't Hitler play keyboards for them? ;)

Many moons ago, in a dark corner of a high school gym in small-town Wisconsin during a concert by a Chicago-area band that was essentially unknown at the time, I smoked pot for the first time and got to third base with a gal I didn't even know.  The name of the band?  Styx.  The name of the gal?  Hell if I know.   :)

I saw a recent photo of the brothers and they look more alike now Russell's lost his long locks - Loved them :)

On 10/08/2016 at 5:00 AM, MonoStone said:

I'm not sure if this is a 'fan moment' or just me being a sad old git going on about the good old days...

I once did a showcase at Nomis in London.... Being a Northern nobody I thought it would just be another crappy rehearsal type place... but apparently it was some kind of big time rock star place. Bumped into Paul Weller in the corridor and had a quick 'chat'.... Hall & Oats were in there too but must have been avoiding me...

Oh and I used to rehearse in the room next to the Stone Roses before I knew who they were. 

Sounds like Hall and Oates couldn't go for that   :)

I'm jealous that you 'bumped into' Paul Weller!

Rock 'N Roll Fantasy Camp 2010 - Philadelphia, PA.  Was supposed to jam with Dickie Betts.  Learned the Blue Sky solo (all 100 minutes of it:) ).  Well Dickie was sitting there while the rest of my camp band were rehearsing for the final camp show at the Trocadero, but was apparently to stoned/drunk/you name it to get up out his chair and jam. Instead he brought his son to jam with us.  When I mentioned to Dickie that we lived in the same part of Florida, he looked up at me and said ...  "ugggghhhh."  A dream come true!!

Less of a memorable music moment, as it was so long ago,  but still a cool musical memory.  I grew up in New Jersey.  I played in a high school band, which lasted about 3 weeks.  Anyway, we were playing at a party at some kids house I didn't know, where a much better local band was playing after us called John Eddie and The Front Street Runners.  John Eddie's amp blew out and actually borrowed my amp for the show.  This must have been around 1978 or so if memory is correct.  John Eddie went on to have a semi hit tune and video called Jungle Boy, that had its rounds on MTV.  He also opened up Live Aid in Philly if memory serves.  He was going to be huge, but it never quite happened for him.  He still is a bigtime bar circuit guy performing all  around Jersey and other states.  He actually has put out some really good albums.  Check him out on You Tube.

Of course probably my favorite musical memory is front row to see Springsteen.  I don't think I will ever beat that one.

Dave

• Like 2

I met two of my favourite songwriters, Glenn Tilbrook and Chris Difford from Squeeze a couple of years ago.   I had a CD signed  by Glenn and Chris signed my copy of his lyrics book. 

They used to work separately when writing. Chris described getting back the music from Glenn after he sent the lyrics as like receiving Christmas presents.  They've had their times apart over the years, so it was great to see them touring together again   :)