Your Ad Could Be Here

Coming Soon: Famous Rigs Wiki

For those who didn't get the invite.... Sorry

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1065515906819234/?ref=bookmarks

Once I have enough data to get going I'm going to open a Guitar Rig Wiki

Basically it's a database of famous guitarists and the equipment / settings they used to create the sounds they are famous for.

Premier Guitar has "Rig Rundown" where the video famous artists touring rigs.

I've seen a few "how to sound like X videos on the web.

When I had tappermike.com I did do a famous keyboards of the 60's and 70's articles I just didn't reach a wide enough audience.  Not that I expect one from my new site   I still have to build the damn thing.  I want a nice "cut to the chase" look so if someone is looking for a precise tone they don't have to wade through a bunch of stuff to find it.

Getting the Variax has been nothing but an enjoyable distraction.  I find myself constantly chasing classic rock sounds when I should be doing other things.

You could add it here... Just saying lol in the same way we have member articles, it is very little effort to create a wiki database as a separate feature. I am assuming it's not to make money Mike? Is there another reason you want it on a site of it's own?

just a suggestion as an alternative

Thanks,  But I've already bought the domain name paid for 2 year hosting and installed the cms.  The next step is all the window dressing,

I know it seems crazy but I have disillusions of monetizing the site

No worries Mike. I wasn't trying to steal the rug, as they say. I wasn't sure if you were thinking money or if it was just a "wouldn't it be a nice idea" thought. If you ever decide to shut it down, give me a shout and we can maybe transfer it and at least preserve the info.

what cms did you opt for? I have been looking at process wire as a replacement for the www.songstuff.com domain. Hosting wise, you could do worse than the free hosting plan at Anazon AWS. It is scalable from a basic shared virtual server right up to worldwide mirrored multi server set ups... Though the latter are most definitely NOT free lol. I wish!

I should say...

good luck luck with your site!

Thanks,

I'm going through bluehost.com and I'll be running Joomla as my cms.  

It's been an interesting (frustrating) process setting things up .  At first I just wanted a standard wiki such as wakka or tiki.  They proved to be a pain to set up and I spent more time then I'd like debugging.  It's funny, ages ago I used wordpress.  During a routine update it sporked my whole system and I had to open MyPHP admin and copy/paste every thing from one set of tables to another. It was agonizing.  While it may be stable now. I have no intention of using wordpress ever again.

I've run IIS locally as well as Apache in the distant past and then just a few years ago I ran them again as a refresher. 

In other news.  My schedule has changed dramatically.  Due to recent changes at work (cooking) I'm working 7 days this week and next week I'll be on vacation.  Big family reunion.