Your Ad Could Be Here

rhythm

Due to a writing block problem, I need to go about it with a different approach. I am beginning with rhythm, or will be later today. The rhythm will need to be strong enough to provide its own momentum, or a 'groove' if you like.

Part of the present block is to do with lyrics. Lyrics of late have become a mire of possibilities with no clear paths. I will be leaving lyrics to the end, as I used to many ears ago. I will worry about those when the time comes.

Anyone else ever work this way?

• Noob

Totally! This is the ONLY way I've written since I started. I come up with a melody/rhythms, then chords, and lyrics last. And I've recently hit a block that has really knocked me down. It seems that my latest melodies are great, but don't leave room for the lyrics to tell the story that I want them to. So I have to fit in words that complete the line, but don't support the song. 

So I've decided to try a lyrics-first approach (which I've always been terrified of). I hope it works out, and good luck to you on switching things up!

Edited by randman21
  • Like 1

On 16/08/2016 at 4:35 AM, randman21 said:

So I've decided to try a lyrics-first approach (which I've always been terrified of). I hope it works out, and good luck to you on switching things up!

Great. Its good to try these things. I was flummoxed when I first tried that, but it makes you think about things differently.

Using a rhythm did help me. I'm flying at the moment!

• Like 1