• Announcements

    • Songstuff

      New Chat App   06/02/2017

      We have a new chat app available. You will need to sign up for it. You can pick up the invite link at the top of your member hub page:   http://forums.songstuff.com/member/hub/   Remember to use your Songstuff registered email and user name when you sign up! Using the invite link will automatically add you to the Songstuff chat channel.
Simon Darveau

Everybody Need Someone Like You (Final version feat Avit Hammer on Bass)

32 posts in this topic

Final version of this song with my bud Alan (Avit Hammer) 0n bass.

I added a choral at the end and took some advices from you songstuffers. I do hope i made it better. Don't hesitate to leave your comments good or bad (I can take it ;))

Feel free to critique the mix ... I worked pretty hard on it and maybe too long so ear fatigue may have played some tricks on me.

 

Cheers !!!

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Here's a new one. Thanks in advance for your comments :)  The bass is missing but a good friend from Songstuff agreed to work on it ...

 

Cheers !

 

 

Edited by Simon Darveau
Final version

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Simon

Melodically when it started off I was thinking that's nice but sort of predictable then something happens about 0.54 as the Lennons come into it for the chorus, and even though the melody in the chorus is simple the way it plays against the the way its harmonised is really effective. I am on my second listen now and I have just got to the choruses after the bell break down and It's obviously now catchy, so that's after hearing probably three of four renditions of it.  I notice a few nice little touches like the wood wind I think it is. 2.09 then the tambourine coming in right. The lead guitar panned hard left,  the vocal treatment, the more I listen to it the more Abbey Road Studios it sounds. like there is a wall of sound towards the end in the middle and little incidental stuff happening hard right and left. If sounds like a George Martin production, and that feel starts at the one minute mark, and it grows stronger throughout the piece.

I am probably fairly prejudiced towards this song because it sounds like an unknown Beatle song, with the verse written by Paul, and the chorus by John, even the piano playing sounds like John, the arpeggio guitar starting on the right hand side in verse two, is Lennon like, and the lead guitar sounds like George.  I didn't really miss the bass all that much I am playing it on my studio monitors. I guess bass you'd layer it in at 0.27.  So I can say I really enjoyed listening to it,four times.  I appreciate the attention to detail, so from my point of view its like my era my stuff so I think its Fab. Can I hear EQ'd reverb on the vocals as well, I have started rolling off everything below about 600 and above 6500 ish depending on the register. If you are doing that are you EQing before or after the reverb?

 

Cheers

 

Gary 

 

 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Simon,  very nice ,  

When I saw the title I was thinking , is it an Adele cover ? or maybe a version of Tim Hardin's  Reason To Believe ,  but no an ORIGINAL , Simon Darveau , :) 

I  get a Lennon'ish feeling from the piano ,   and I see you are adding Bass ,  I will be looking for the next version . well done .

 

Tez. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Simon,  I think the production sounds beautiful.   I'd love to see the lyrics.

 

Rickie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, snabbu said:

Hi Simon

Melodically when it started off I was thinking that's nice but sort of predictable then something happens about 0.54 as the Lennons come into it for the chorus, and even though the melody in the chorus is simple the way it plays against the the way its harmonised is really effective. I am on my second listen now and I have just got to the choruses after the bell break down and It's obviously now catchy, so that's after hearing probably three of four renditions of it.  I notice a few nice little touches like the wood wind I think it is. 2.09 then the tambourine coming in right. The lead guitar panned hard left,  the vocal treatment, the more I listen to it the more Abbey Road Studios it sounds. like there is a wall of sound towards the end in the middle and little incidental stuff happening hard right and left. If sounds like a George Martin production, and that feel starts at the one minute mark, and it grows stronger throughout the piece.

I am probably fairly prejudiced towards this song because it sounds like an unknown Beatle song, with the verse written by Paul, and the chorus by John, even the piano playing sounds like John, the arpeggio guitar starting on the right hand side in verse two, is Lennon like, and the lead guitar sounds like George.  I didn't really miss the bass all that much I am playing it on my studio monitors. I guess bass you'd layer it in at 0.27.  So I can say I really enjoyed listening to it,four times.  I appreciate the attention to detail, so from my point of view its like my era my stuff so I think its Fab. Can I hear EQ'd reverb on the vocals as well, I have started rolling off everything below about 600 and above 6500 ish depending on the register. If you are doing that are you EQing before or after the reverb?

 

Cheers

 

Gary 

 

 

 

Hey Gary, 

 

I hope my head fits through the door after such a critic from you ;). I was introduced to music with The Beatles (my older brother's influence) and a bunch of Classical stuff my folks would force in our ears growing up. It certainly influences how I build my songs and mix everything up. That said, I wouldn't dare make comparisons like you did, but i'll gladly take the compliment. To answer your question on reverb, I usually will put the EQ before the reverb effect on a separate aux track. That way, I can adjust the amount of effect I need with the volume. Also, I will use a high pass filter and roll off until I get rid of the mud. Like you said, it usually happens at 600 but not always ... I find female vocals can benefit from a little less. As far as cutting the highs, I rarely cut under 10K and will sometime take away 3 to 4 db at around 2k if I am mixing my own vocal for instance. 

 

Cheers and thanks for the listens :)

 

 

Edited by Simon Darveau

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Really nice work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rick Nick and Tez, Thanks for the listen.

 

I'll try to write down the lyrics soon and add to the post.

 

Cheers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ah There was a youtube on this reverb send, and he eq'd before as well, he also did a little dip at 2K for a male vocal. In addition he then put a multipressor on the end.

I think the thing is too with using an aux track you can  automate the send if you have a situation where you need more reverb in the chorus. And its a quick way of doing it. Like just to sweeten a held note you can just twitch it up and down. I have come to a conclusion with reverb settings that if its not being used as an effect I keep turning the send down until I can just here the difference in the mix when I switch it in and out, then I decrease it 1 db further. I am finding a more natural sound that way. Also I read that delay doesn't muddy the mix so its better for mix clarity to use less reverb and a bit of slap instead. 

 

Cheers

 

Gary

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice to listen something new about you, Simon...

Your voice is brilliant, as always... Beautiful harmony with this one and your tune...

Really like the sound of the guitar... and some notes in particular...

Very nice the passage with the bells!

Great stuff, man!

 

Edited by Matthew76

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really like the song, Simon.  I'm assuming once the bass is in the piano EQ will be adjusted accordingly.  I hope you'll be adding backing vocals/vocal harmonies too.  I suspect you will be and that your more free-form singing at the end will play nicely off backing vocals.  Unless more will be added to the break, I think ending the previous section on one bell hit and letting that ring for a brief moment before starting again is the way to go.  As is, I think that break goes on much too long.

Edited by HoboSage

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey Simon,

 

This may end up being your finest work after the tweaks as some have mentioned above.  Outstanding singing, outstanding melody.  It has the Fab Four all over it.  It is favorited on SC.  Fantastic, as always.

 

Dave

 

P.S.  For a moment, I was expecting to hear an Adele cover

Edited by GocartMoz
1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Simon, this is a very fine work, I really enjoyed it, this could be a hit song!

Thanks for sharing.

Fernando.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi,

Very nicely done Simon. Nice mix as well. Adding the bass will fill in nicely I think. I agree with at least another that the pause is too long. Maybe half that would work better. I could try and pick this work apart but each of those comments would end up saying the same thing and this is, very well done all the way around.

 

Keep up the good vibe!

LB

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi,

 

Is it me or is anyone else hearing Radiohead in the chorus? I agree with the Lennon thing also.

 

Thanks  

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Simon - There are parts of this that are just stunning.. The Chorus/Hook is UNBELIEVABLY GOOD and your voice is just KILLER when you're using your chest voice at the top of your range!.  Love some of those Beatlesesque guide-tone lines. They sound totally original to me, but the flavor is unmistakable.  I don't know where you are in the process, but there are a few things that I think need tweaking.

 

The hand percussion - like at 2:10 those sand blocks are really harsh on one side. Same for the tambourine on the other. If you normally mix with speakers, put on some headphones and you'll see that they're too loud and panned too far to the sides. They aren't married to the mix in any way that I can tell. I don't hear reverb on them, and I'm not getting any glue that I would expect from compression.

 

There's not a lot going on lyrically. I mean it's pretty straight ahead, but it would still be nice to see them.  There's something about the first four lines that doesn't feel right to me.

 

I don't get the church bells.. They sound like the bells in a 40's movie. Is it three in the morning? ..weddiing bells? ..high tea? :boat: (ducks and hides behind sailboat)

 

BVs??  I would.  All over the place.

 

When you sing the chorus the first time and you use your falsetto on the high notes, it can be pitchy - and there seems to be a place or two where you punched/edited it in??  BTW, I know you have a beautiful falsetto - I've heard it before, so..

 

Did you play all the guitar parts?  They are stellar! The playing all around is great.

 

-Mark

Edited by M57

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A bass and some nice soft bv's would finish this off. I really enjoyed it. I think I know what you're going for with the bells. There could possibly be a little more added there. Even if it's just birds. For some reason, I thought birds and that section made me think "Look Mommy, there's an airplane up in the sky" ala Floyd. I think because it really had this cool feel to it. Can't really explain it. Does 3 bell rings have a significance? I think starting the vocals and music right when the 3rd bell should ring would sound really good and also give it a cool kind of energy.

 

I hope Alan does a good job on the bass. That's my guess anyway.

 

Randy

Edited by Just1L
1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is a really nice song and the chorus/hook is fantastic and the vocal is really well done. My only nit pick is the start of the song. It feels like a bit of a let down once you have heard the rest of the song. I don't know if it's to do with the way it's sung, or the instrumentation used, but to me it just seemed kind of flat, especially when you hear what comes later.

 

there were a couple of instrument choices that I didn't like and they stood out in the arrangement, but that is probably just a personal thing with me.

 

i just wish I could get my vocals to sound as clear as this. What to you use to record and mix them?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On August 21, 2016 at 8:50 AM, HoboSage said:

I really like the song, Simon.  I'm assuming once the bass is in the piano EQ will be adjusted accordingly.  I hope you'll be adding backing vocals/vocal harmonies too.  I suspect you will be and that your more free-form singing at the end will play nicely off backing vocals.  Unless more will be added to the break, I think ending the previous section on one bell hit and letting that ring for a brief moment before starting again is the way to go.  As is, I think that break goes on much too long.

 

Thanks Dave, I will certainly leave some room in the low frequencies for a nice bass score. Backing vocals will come too. I haven't yet decided about what I will do with the bells. 

Thanks for listening and commenting :). I always appreciate your input !

 

Cheers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On August 24, 2016 at 5:13 PM, 1564 pop said:

Hi,

 

Is it me or is anyone else hearing Radiohead in the chorus? I agree with the Lennon thing also.

 

Thanks  

 

Well, The Beatles and Radiohead are my two fav bands so this is good to hear :)

 

Cheers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On August 24, 2016 at 7:42 PM, M57 said:

 

The hand percussion - like at 2:10 those sand blocks are really harsh on one side. Same for the tambourine on the other. If you normally mix with speakers, put on some headphones and you'll see that they're too loud and panned too far to the sides. They aren't married to the mix in any way that I can tell. I don't hear reverb on them, and I'm not getting any glue that I would expect from compression.

 

There's not a lot going on lyrically. I mean it's pretty straight ahead, but it would still be nice to see them.  There's something about the first four lines that doesn't feel right to me.

 

I don't get the church bells.. They sound like the bells in a 40's movie. Is it three in the morning? ..weddiing bells? ..high tea? :boat: (ducks and hides behind sailboat)

 

BVs??  I would.  All over the place.

 

When you sing the chorus the first time and you use your falsetto on the high notes, it can be pitchy - and there seems to be a place or two where you punched/edited it in??  BTW, I know you have a beautiful falsetto - I've heard it before, so..

 

Did you play all the guitar parts?  They are stellar! The playing all around is great.

 

-Mark

 

Mark, Thanks for taking the time to listen and comment ! 

I will take your advise on the hand percussion and tambourine when I do the final mix. You are absolutely right about this ! 

Funny about the bells ... some like it, others don't. I may try adding some stuff around it but they are staying for sure. And they are meant to be wedding bells ;)

BV and a nice bass score are on the way ... 

The vocal track I did in one take on a saturday night after too many glasses of wine ... so I get that it's not perfect but I grew to like the imperfections ... Amazing what alcool does to one's voice (especially while attempting to do falsettos)

The guitar parts are mine and done on my new Strat that I acquired a month ago ... glad you like the sound ... so do I ! 

 

Cheers (Looking forward to hear what you do with your new song)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On August 24, 2016 at 8:05 PM, Richard Tracey said:

This is a really nice song and the chorus/hook is fantastic and the vocal is really well done. My only nit pick is the start of the song. It feels like a bit of a let down once you have heard the rest of the song. I don't know if it's to do with the way it's sung, or the instrumentation used, but to me it just seemed kind of flat, especially when you hear what comes later.

 

there were a couple of instrument choices that I didn't like and they stood out in the arrangement, but that is probably just a personal thing with me.

 

i just wish I could get my vocals to sound as clear as this. What to you use to record and mix them?

 

Richard, Thanks for your comments. 

I'll get back to you in a pm for the recording gears and plug ins I use to mix if you are interested.

 

Cheers

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is very beautiful Simon! Love it. You have some cool chords changes during the song! I is a very intruiging and beautiful song. Love the guitar and piano :)

The chorus is beautiful. I think it would be lovely with some background vocals to back up the end part of the chorus. Somehow I think the song is very strong as a piano + vocal song. But I think it works very well as it aswell. It  has a very strong melodic sound. Love it!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Simon Darveau said:

 

Richard, Thanks for your comments. 

I'll get back to you in a pm for the recording gears and plug ins I use to mix if you are interested.

 

Cheers

 

Hi Simon, yeah I would very much appreciate that. I am still trying to find my recording voice. My normal singing voice seems totally different the minute I go near a mic and all the plugins I have buying, don't seem to help.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice job Simon!  I really like how you start quietly and build the emotion as the song goes on.  I'll take the 5th on the bells 'til I hear what you do with them in the end.  vocally....maybe you should drink more wine....it certainly had a good influence...sounds like pinot to me.  I'd love to see the lyrics as well!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great song, Simon. Great vocal and playing.

 

Trying to think of useful things to say...

 

The guitar note in my left ear at 1.12 was a bit loud or harsh, that was the only mix thing that bothered me.

 

Beyond that I can only give opinion and suggestion - I think the song could be a tiny bit faster because early on it plods a bit, but I only mean a couple more BPM (maybe up like 5 or 6 at most). And I really like the way you bring it back after the little break around 3.00 but that end section just makes me want more of a building sensation...By the end I feel like it wants to be like a bunch of people got up on stage with you and started banging stuff and singing along...and even some weird background noises building...which might make it very Beatles but then the influence is so clear already that I don't think it would hurt. Anyway... that's what happens in my head when I listen, but I'm imagining...so I'd love for it to really be happening.

 

Aside from that, I think the bass is still missing? I'm not feeling the beat early on and as I say it plods just a bit but that comment and my tempo comment might be redundant if the bass is keeping it moving.

 

Excellent chorus, really catchy sing-along melody and words there! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice song Simon.

Your voice is great as always, the piano and guitar parts are nice as well.

I like that chromatic movement at 0.52. and that move up before bells, but unfortunately it comes back to where it was, I was expecting something more like bridge there. The ending might look too much like Hey Jude depending of what youll add there. As its love hymn maybe spoken words might work there?

hth

Z.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Final version of this song with my bud Alan (Avit Hammer) 0n bass.

I added a choral at the end and took some advices from you songstuffers. I do hope i made it better. Don't hesitate to leave your comments good or bad (I can take it ;))

Feel free to critique the mix ... I worked pretty hard on it and maybe too long so ear fatigue may have played some tricks on me.

 

Cheers !!!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds great Simon! Only one thing seemed odd... when you come back in around 3:00 I think I hear BV doing 'ahhh' but then it vanishes, I think...

 

Everything sounds spot on to me, and the bass adds loads to it.

 

I really like the end section with the extra vocals now. I reckon you could get wilder with that, for my taste. I could listen to that section for a long long time and towards the very end I can imagine it fading away in a mass of crazy reverb... again maybe I'm imagining a Beatlesish idea but it would sound ace, and you could take it further than them :) ... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very well done , it did need that new ending . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Difficult to critique this..it's a straight up and down very good ballad..bit predictable but so what! lot of big hits are predictable and I reckon that's what makes em work..

maybe a bit long..but fab work my friend..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.