• Announcements

• Songstuff

New Chat App   06/02/2017

We have a new chat app available. You will need to sign up for it. You can pick up the invite link at the top of your member hub page:   http://forums.songstuff.com/member/hub/   Remember to use your Songstuff registered email and user name when you sign up! Using the invite link will automatically add you to the Songstuff chat channel.
GocartMoz

Screw The Revolution (Let's Dance)

25 posts in this topic

SCREW THE REVOLUTION (LET'S DANCE)

Music & Lyrics by David S. Becker

(c)2016 David S. Becker Music

All Rights Reserved

INTRO

VERSE 1

Why don't we screw the revolution

I'm not down with this game of chance

And to hell with the damn apocalypse

And this crazy zombie trance

CHORUS

Let's Dance

Let's Dance

Let's Dance

VERSE 2

I read this kid bit the face off a stranger

It's hard to navigate through the slime

Every corner I turn there's more danger

It seems we finally crossed a line

It's hard to dig your way through the lies

While the virus is advancing

I'll be joined with the walking dead

And all I want is to do some dancing

CHORUS

VERSE 3

And just take a real firm stance

Don't give the trolls and xenaphobes

Even the slightest glance

CHORUS

SOLO

CHORUS

BRIDGE

I've been watching the news on my TV screen

Petrified by the things that I've seen

A gator grabs a kid from his dad

A man goes beserk in Queens

We have riots on the south side

Poisoned water out mid-west

A race war may be coming

Man it's all a blasted mess

Recruiting evil on the internet

Politicians are on the take

Police they kill and then get killed

My God for goodness sake

Murder in the name of God

And Zika's on the loose

The world is going straight to hell

Can we all just call a truce

CHORUS

VERSE 4

And get a big time cash advance

We'll hide away in our Shangri-La

And bathe in sweet romance

CHORUS x 2

*****Re-did and added the vocals to the previous instrumental version I posted.  Also added some harmonies in the chorus per Mark's suggestions.  I also brought the solo guitar down a notch as Mark correctly pointed it out it was a bit hot.  I also tweaked the tone slightly of the solo. Hopefully it is less harsh.  The only other thing I want to do, absent some other suggestions, is experiment with David's idea on the Bridge, though on the re-take I kind of like as is.  I will be experimenting though.  Thx for all the help on this one.  The new file was substituted for the original file posted. and is below in my last post.

**** Tweaked some more.  Decided to go with at least a partial of David's idea and started the bridge out just drums, bass and vocals and then added organ and then guitar.  Also added some BV's in parts.  I am pretty sure it's final now ... what do you think?

Edited by GocartMoz

Fab song and recording, Dave.  More soulful than your usual stuff, and I dig it.  Kind of between Steve Miller and Boz Scaggs.

I'm not sure if it's repeated elsewhere in the song, but note/chord-wise, something with the chord the guitar plays and the note the bass plays at around 0:37 doesn't sound quite "right" to me.

I'm not sure how I like the spread solo as opposed to how it would sound centered.  But, I dig the solo.

Sweet tunage, Bro.  And, your singing keeps getting better and better.

Great song Dave.... groovy!

I could imagine 'Let's dance' sung quicker like 'da da... da da...da daah' (to help explain that, what you have now would be 'dah daah, dah daah, dah daaah'. So if you sang it quicker it would be more percussive and leave more space for the music/groove to come through (and would sound less angry). Then again, my suggestion might sound crap in practice, but in my head and when I sing along it seems to work to me anyway.

Other than that... I LOVE the bridge vocal, and it's great, but there were times where you sounded a touch short of breath or like it was tricky to nail the timing...so I reckon another take and maybe a bit calmer would nail that even better.

But I am really looking for crit/suggestions.... it's already great as it is!

Dek

I like the flow and the groovy attitude to it more than anything. 

I find the "We don't we screw the revolution" line quite catchy aswell, especially the way you sing "revolution"'

Good funky track.

Thx David, Dek and Lubek ... I do plan on taking a second stab at the Bridge vocal ... it was difficult for me to sing for sure.  I also am not real pleased with the mix. Listened in the car this morning and it sounds a bit muddy to me.  Rhythm guitars are not as crisp as I like them. I think there may be too much reverb and delay packed on.  Frankly, wasn't real pleased with the solo either. David, I thought that solo was centered but I will have to go back tonight and take a look to see if Iaccidentally panned it.  I certainly didn't intend to do so.  I didn't hear a a wrong note at .37 but will also go back and take another listen tonight with proper headphones.  I do, however, think the chord at .43 and at other parts of the song at that spot in the progression were played wrong as I listen back.  I played an Em7 at those spots and in retrospect believe I should have played a B7, which is what is played in the first half of the progression.  Without a guitar in hand and my headphones, however, I can't be sure.  I was also thinking about cutting out all instruments but the drums during the bridge section and trying a full on rap of that section (it may be easier than singing it although I have never attempted a rap in my lifetime :)).  Thoughts?  I also, in retrospect,  am not pleased with the ending.  I want to address that as well.  Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Dave

Edited by GocartMoz

Good tune Dave! Musically I think this is one of my all-time favorites of yours. My only nit is I find the chorus to be "less dance-worthy" than the verses. There's a great groove going on in the verses and the chorus, just imo, doesn't quite take it to the next step. 

Now, this was only my "first listen initial reaction". I'll listen a few more times to see if I feel the same and come back. I know one thing, the intro and first verse really gets you hooked.

Randy

Dave, Fun stuff. For me, the star of this song is the groove and I think the mix is nice and up-front and in your face and the guitar work in the verses is solid, and the melody sits right.  Where it loses me in the chorus..

The changes are fine, with cool voice-leading and all, but the chords are a bit unusual, which doesn't have to be a bad thingbut I get the feeling that you're kind of fudging the melody to suit the chords and not the other way around.  The bass goes all high there, just when I want it to pound and slap. I think breaking into a rap would be too awkward - maybe in a bridge section, but not the chorus.  If you're married to those chords, I would consider singing "Let's dance" in harmony ..like there is no melody - so anyone that sings along might be inclined to just go to their comfortable part if that makes any sense.  Hmm.. just like if we were to sit down and sing a CSN tune, we would each just gravitate to the part that speaks to us.

-Mark

Thx much Randy and Mark.  I have been working on a re-do of this but am suffering from ear fatigue.  Think I will take a day off on this and address in a few.  Always appreciate your thoughts and comments.

Dave

I like the bridge, and I don't think an actual rap will sound good.  I think you could build the bridge over time though.  The bridge is introduced by a brief soloed kick+snare beat.  You could start the bridge proper with just that kick+snare beat and vocal (or maybe hand claps and vocal), then bring in one guitar (and the kick+snare beat if you start with just hand claps), then add another guitar and another, and then maybe at like the half-way point kick in with full drums and bass.

Edited by HoboSage

David ... I love that idea.  Now all I have to do is execute it :)  Will be experimenting for sure.  In the meantime, below is a new redo of the music minus the vocal, which I plan to redo, as well.  Here is what I did:

**** I redid the musical mix and arrangement o this song a bit.  I have yet to re-do the vocal and add some background vocals per Mark's suggestion.  In any event, I halved the intro so the vocal clocks in now much sooner.  I also completely replayed the rhythm guitars in the "Why don't we screw the Revolution" verses as some of the chords were wrong.  I just decided to redo the whole section, as it seemed easier. :)  I also redid the guitar solo and changed it around a bit.  I wasn't happy with the previous solo.  Finally changed the ending to allow me to re-sing that chorus twice at the end so that it doesn't end as abrupt as i thought it did in the above mix.  Additionally, I replayed the bass line and changed it up a touch as I thought it was somewhat all over the place and not very tight previously.  Finally, tried to tweak the mix a bit as I thought it was slightly muddy and wanted the mix to be a bit crisper.

I want to experiment with David's idea for the bridge, but have decided to keep the chorus as is, though I plan to add some bv's and harmony vocals per Mark's idea.  Anyway, here is the new musical mix, with no vocals.  If you have 4 minutes to listen, it is always appreciated.  Thx! 

very cool song Dave!! Very cool guitar and bass!! I love your vocals as always! I dont have much to offer as critics. It all sounds nice to me!!

Very nice!!

Cool vibes on this piece, Dave...

The sound of the guitars are really good...

Like the way you sing on it...

Great stuff, dude!

The guitar work is infectious.  Really fun.  The levels seem good to me, though the solo may be just a hair too hot (though you wouldn't know it looking at the SC waveform, so maybe it's OK.  Probably depends on where the vocals sit once you put them back in.  I love the way you have panned it and all with effects.  I suppose it could also be an EQ thing. It's just a little harsh (in a digital way).  I went back and listened to the original solo, and it's a better sound to me, just a little smoother.  That said, I think you played a much better solo on the new track B).  Assuming you used the same settings going in, it may be just a few turns of a knob here or there. -M

Edited by M57

Wow Dave, I'm loving this, so funky! I could listen to it over and over again.

The guitar solo sounds great, and man the bridge is awesome! Really got a Dire Straits vibe to it, and a nice touch from Bee Gee's "Stayin Alive". 

I always think your songs get better for every song you write, and this is no exception! Haven't been much active on here lately, but I'll check Soundcloud if there's more songs of you I've missed. Looking forward to hearing your next! 

Andreas

Thx Gry. Matthew, Mark and Andreas for the listens and comments.  All appreciated. Tweaked some more, as follows:

*****Re-did and added the vocals to the previous instrumental version I posted.  Also added some harmonies in the chorus per Mark's suggestions.  I also brought the solo guitar down a notch as Mark correctly pointed it out it was a bit hot.  I also tweaked the tone slightly of the solo. Hopefully it is less harsh.  The only other thing I want to do, absent some other suggestions, is experiment with David's idea on the Bridge, though on the re-take I kind of like as is.  I will be experimenting though.  Thx for all the help on this one.  The new file was substituted for the original file posted. and is below in my last post.

Listened to this in my car this week and really digged it Dave. Love the energy your guitar sounds bring to this one ... and the solo !!!

My fav part is the bridge ...  the lyrics and the way you sing on it. One of your best song imo.

Oh ... and the mix is awesome !

Cheers ! 

Thx much Simon.  Tweaked this a bit more, as follows:  

**** Tweaked some more.  Decided to go with at least a partial of David's idea and started the bridge out just drums, bass and vocals and then added organ and then guitar.  Also added some BV's in parts.  I am pretty sure it's final now ... what do you think? 

https://soundcloud.com/gocartmoz/screw-the-revolution-lets-dance

Dave

Love the new bridge.  The bass sounds to me like it's ping-ponging right-left, or -right-center.  I'ts a bit bothersome to me.  If it's because of an effect on the bass track, maybe you can keep the effect but narrow the width of the bass track so you get the effect without as much of a ping-pong - assuming you even want to change it. :) 

Thanks David.  You were hearing the chorus effect I had on the bass.  It was less noticeable when masked by other instruments in the rest of the song but out on its' own, well thats another story.  I actually replayed the bridge without the affect as there was some mess ups anyway.  I am the crappiest bass player imaginable.  I think it is fixed now though so it is at least passable. :)  As bad as i am at bass, however, I still like playing a real bass far more than using midi.  A personal thing I guess.  Anyway, the new file is up now.  Oh, I brought the organ and guitars in a little sooner than before as I didn't want that bass out on its own too long :)

Dave

1 hour ago, GocartMoz said:

As bad as i am at bass, however, I still like playing a real bass far more than using midi.  A personal thing I guess.  

Me too. I have absolutely no business  playing bass, but I'm willing to sacrifice tone AND perfect articulation for 'my' articulation.

Listened in the car again ... Great stuff ;). I like the final mix

Cheers

Cool work for this new version, Dave...

Really like your singing on it...

Well done again, mate!

@Simon and Matthew ... thx for the second listen.  Greatly appreciated.

Dave

You made some really great changes. I think the chorus works so much better now with the backing vocals. Ship it!

Thx a bunch Randy.  Much appreciated.

Dave