Your Ad Could Be Here

My Guitar Solo (Need Feedback)

• Noob

Hey guys, iv been playing for a year now and i decided to make a solo. I dont have a teacher to analyze my work so it would mean a lot if you guys could listing to my solo and tell me what you think and what i can improve on.

Amp vol at 70%

guitar 8" inches proximity from speaker

That'll give you all the feedback you need.

Seriously. I hear no bum notes. Everything seems under control and natural. You sound disciplined enough. I think you have that particular pattern nailed. Nice job [smiley=acoustic.gif]

• 4 weeks later...

Your note choices are pretty good, and fit into the harmonic scheme pretty well.

The major thing you need to work on is timing. While your timing isn't 'bad' - it needs more work to take you to the next level of playing. For playing only 1 year, you are doing well. Just keep playing every day, and it will come over time.

I don't know what the relative volumes were that you heard when you were playing the solo but the lead was very loud compared to the rhythm guitar in your post.  You want that solo to sit 'in' the harmonic progression, not smother it. When you solo over changes, if anything, you want to be hearing the backing tracks 'too loud' as you want to really hear the nuances of the other 'players' louder than yourself. This will really help you lock in on the timing as well as really hear how the solo is fitting into the chord changes (which is essential for a killer solo). Remember, you are playing by FEEL as much as by hearing when you hold that puppy in your hands and shred a solo. Experiment with having the solo volume down as low as you can - and then turn it even lower (you can always mix the solo back up later if you wanna save it or share it).

There are other things you can work on to improve your solos but you are probably already doing this (scales, arpeggios, etc.). Just keep on keeping on! Pay close attention to the chord changes themselves, not just the key. Learn to arpeggiate the changes in different places on the neck. Once you have this down, mix this up with the type of stuff you are already doing in this example. 

You are doing well, just keep practicing and having fun!

Peace,

TC

• 4 months later...

Archived