Your Ad Could Be Here

Verse/Chorus structure and how it works ...

• Noob

If any of you are interested in digging under the hood of song construction and what makes songs work, I’ve put together a blog on the nuts and bolts of verse/chorus structure.

It’s a fairly in-depth analysis, and hopefully will help clarify what a chorus actually is, and then what makes it work as a chorus. I feel that there are a lot of fairly vague descriptions floating around, which aren’t necessarily wrong, but aren’t particularly helpful either. I’ve tried to isolate the specific musical elements (harmonic, rhythmic, melodic) that characterise a chorus, and examine how they work together.

If you’re interested, elsewhere on my blog there is some analysis of specific songs, as well as other blogs about form and structure in pop/rock music. (work in progress … AABA form coming up!)

Putting it out there in a spirit of research for discussion. If it’s helpful, so much the better!

https://petecrosbie.com/2016/08/25/how-verse-chorus-structure-works/

Hey stretch

welcome to Songstuff. Take a look at our song form articles. You might find it useful to build on them and refer to them from your articles? Maybe not, I thought I'd suggest it anyway. You may also be interested in contributing to our member articles or even our site articles

Either way, welcome aboard. Dive into our community. It's run by volunteers, and our members are a good bunch, :)

Cheers

John

• Like 1