Your Ad Could Be Here

Local Slang, Terms and Phrases

Hey Gang

I thought it might be an interesting idea for members to introduce others to their local slang terms and phrases. You know, those nuggets of wisdom, inherent humour, brutal honesty that people not far away will never have heard of.

in doing this you may well find that terms you thought local, actually originate somewhere else. Equally, a term you think local may well be used a lot more broadly than you might think.

Of course, hopefully we get introduced to a colourful world of unexpected terms... And who knows, they may just inspire you.

Ideally provide both how it is said, and a clear English version, plus provide how the term or phrase is used, what it means. lastly, please include where this term or phrase is used and where you think it originates from.

For example:

"Yer heid's fu' o' wee doors, n' they're aw bangin'"

"Your head is full of small doors and they are all banging"

Old slang from Glasgow Scotland, used often by an older person to a younger person whose head is full of ideas all vying for their attention such that their next plan is always best and another will come along any minute, so they never really do anything. Said also to distracted people and people who talk a lot without saying anything. A lot of noise about nothing meaningful

"Ye've goat a face like a well skelped arse"

"You have a face like a well spanked ass"

Old slang from Glasgow Scotland. Used, generally in a good natured way, a friendly put down, to call someone ugly, or if they have a very red face making them unattractive.

I had to search for some specific Portsmouth slang. I didn't know all of them, but these are all very familiar.

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/news/people/eight-words-or-phrases-you-ll-hear-in-portsmouth-but-not-in-southampton-1-6958379

The most surprising one is 'Mush'. I had always assumed everybody knew this word.

Here are eight traditional Portsmouth words and sayings you are unlikely to hear at the other end of the M27.

1. Mush

Pronounced Moosh. An old Romany word meaning ‘my good friend’.

2. Dinlo

A lighthearted insult meaning fool. ‘Din’, ‘Dinny’ and ‘dinny dinlo’ are also used. The term apparently has its roots among the Romany gypsies, who still use it.

3. Squinny

To complain, or be a complainer. This term can be used in a number of ways - as a verb: stop sqinnyin!, a noun: ‘stop bein’ a squinny, baby!’ or even as an adjective: ‘she’s well squinny’, meaning ‘she’s a real complainer’.

4. Gettin lairy

What someone is doing if they are losing their patience/temper.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rudi said:

The most surprising one is 'Mush'. I had always assumed everybody knew this word.

Here are eight traditional Portsmouth words and sayings you are unlikely to hear at the other end of the M27.

1. Mush

Pronounced Moosh. An old Romany word meaning ‘my good friend’.

Rudi , in Australia " Mush " is slang for Mouth . pronounced the same way , Moosh .  

1 hour ago, teek said:

Rudi , in Australia " Mush " is slang for Mouth . pronounced the same way , Moosh .  

Now you mention it, I have heard it used that way!