Your Ad Could Be Here

what are you listening to right now?

right now : I am listening to 'Pot Kettle Black' a 5 track CD. This band are a side venture of my Blown-Out bandmate & singer Pete Aubrey. The tunes are rock originals.

On the way into work I was listening to LoudHailer. This a newly released album by Jeff Beck. This is my favourite track

I currently have a free 3-month subscription to Sirius XM. I've been switching between the 80's alternative 1st Wave channel and 90's alternative/grunge Lithium channels. It'd been a long time since I've heard any of these tunes. Quite enjoyable.

Been listening to a great husband and wife duo I discovered from watching Live @ Daryl's House.  They are called Johnnyswim.  Awesome talent I think.  I was surprised to learn the woman is Donna Summer's daughter.  No wonder she is so talented.

Edited by GocartMoz
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, GocartMoz said:

Been listening to a great husband and wife duo I discovered from watching Live @ Daryl's House.  They are called Johnnyswim.  Awesome talent I think.  I was surprised to learn the woman is Donna Summer's daughter.  No wonder she is so talented.

Lots of energy. Love her voice!

22 hours ago, Rudi said:

right now : I am listening to 'Pot Kettle Black' a 5 track CD. This band are a side venture of my Blown-Out bandmate & singer Pete Aubrey. The tunes are rock originals.

On the way into work I was listening to LoudHailer. This a newly released album by Jeff Beck. This is my favourite track

I have this album. I bought it not knowing what to expect. I did know that it is an album that divides opinion, mainly the vocal style of the singer.

Nonetheless I was surprised by the combination of Jeff Beck's (relatively) restrained guitarings and the sometimes fake American-accented, sometimes cockney, sometimes sung, sometimes spoken vocals.

I'm in the division of the opinion that thinks it shouldn't work but it does!

But to answer the OP, I am listening to Ghost's album Meliora. Strictly speaking, I should hate Ghost, 1970's heavy metal meets CSNY, devil masks, high Catholic clergy schtick, singer looks like the Pope wearing a Halloween mask, no-one knows their actual identities. But they don't take themselves too seriously and the music is actually damned (pun intended) good.

Here's the best track

right now: House of Mercy sARAH jAROSZ

Someone recommended her to me. I'll listen some more later.

At home: I have bought a Buddy Rich : 7 Classic Albums Vol. 2 . Only heard 2 of these so far. Its also the first time I have heard him sing!

at the same time I am alternating with Malcomb Arnold's Symphonies 1 & 2 on Naxos (bought at the same time). Enjoying those greatly.

I have been listening to some Jazz. Nice!

Specifically A Love Supreme by John Coltrane which is rather fine to say the least. I used to listen to a lot of Jazz. I'll have to start listening to more. Any recommendations?

And I have been listening to my old tapes of songs which I wrote and recorded in the 80s. It's odd listening to my 22 year old self singing back then. I'm planning to re-record some of them and share them with the world at some point. The fun part is trying to remember how to play them. Time has been kind to some of them and not so to others. The tunes have endured but some of the lyrics are naïve, as you might expect.

I am off to listen to Ian Hunter's new album 'Fingers Crossed'. Hi solo stuff is usually very good. Here's hoping.

Mostly listening to my own stuff trying to fix mixes etc.. but my favourite song for a while (brings me near to tears every time, but I don't know why) and what I'm listening to this minute is -

Edited by MonoStone

On 19/09/2016 at 5:53 PM, Alistair said:

I have been listening to some Jazz. Nice!

Specifically A Love Supreme by John Coltrane which is rather fine to say the least. I used to listen to a lot of Jazz. I'll have to start listening to more. Any recommendations?

For the John Coltrane Quartet, 'A Love Supreme' is as good as it gets!

I have a bunch of these old albums. The 'Coltrane' album from 1962 is a favourite of mine. It has a tune called Tunji on it that has a nice hazy groove. I recently sent a link of this to a young drummer I know as an example of Elvin Jones's playing (Elvin is my favourite drummer).

And I have been listening to my old tapes of songs which I wrote and recorded in the 80s. It's odd listening to my 22 year old self singing back then. I'm planning to re-record some of them and share them with the world at some point. The fun part is trying to remember how to play them. Time has been kind to some of them and not so to others. The tunes have endured but some of the lyrics are naïve, as you might expect.

Box of Goats? Pretty damned fine bunch of songs. I still have the copy you sent me (I can still hum one of the songs too). And I appologise again for never getting around to the promised review. :blush:

On 22/09/2016 at 0:46 PM, Rudi said:

For the John Coltrane Quartet, 'A Love Supreme' is as good as it gets!

I have a bunch of these old albums. The 'Coltrane' album from 1962 is a favourite of mine. It has a tune called Tunji on it that has a nice hazy groove. I recently sent a link of this to a young drummer I know as an example of Elvin Jones's playing (Elvin is my favourite drummer).

Box of Goats? Pretty damned fine bunch of songs. I still have the copy you sent me (I can still hum one of the songs too). And I appologise again for never getting around to the promised review. :blush:

No, long before Box Of Goats which was 2005-08. I'm talking 1981 to 1987! I was 20 to 26 at that time.

I sent you a CD?! I apologise!

I'll explore your Coltrane tip.

• Editors

Oh, I've been listening to a lot of new music lately. And when I say 'new', I mean personally not the music themselves.

Recently, I got back into Sting and Dave Matthews more than I had in the past. I can appreciate the songwriting in these artists so much more now. Such great musicians.

Then I heard this Jazz singer called Kurt Elling. Got me back into those Sinatra nights I used to love falling asleep to. Those who are curious, check out Nature Boy to begin with. Lovely lovely voice and very fine modulations he does with his voice that any singer could simulate, practice and add to his arsenal of vocal flare.

And then in the past couple of days, this fun band called Vulfpeck. A friend should me a song of theirs called 1612. Since the moment I heard it, I'm yet to manage to take the catchy chorus out of my head. The vocalist who sang on that song, Antwaun Stanley sure has got some pipes. His vocal trills and runs are just fantastic. And that inspired me to start working on some good Rnb Soul skills on my pipes too. 

A lot of good music out there fellas! 

Mahesh

P.S Excuse my typos. I'm just speed typing this.