Your Ad Could Be Here

Now that's how you close a software company

A strange thing the music software field. Some companies are good, some great, the vast majority not so much.  When they go out of business it's not only the biz (employees etc) that can suffer it's also the consumers.  Sometimes they don't need to go out of biz sometimes they are simply acquired such as when Apple bought Camel Audio.  CA left everyone who purchased their windows version holding the bag,  While Garage Band and Logic got some new toys.

If you've been following my story with SZ you know that it's now closed.  What we did is set up a care package so that not only purchasers but everyone will get free tools to run the software as long as windows supports it.  Granted there are some things that can't be covered in the care package we sent out.  And there will be no one like me to follow up when if something goes wrong and people can't/don't follow directions.  

Oddly that's what I was with SZ as I was subcontracted.  Never met my bosses in real life.   

With regards to other companies.  I've tried, trust me I've tried.  8 years of trying to get into another company doing the same thing.  Larger companies farm out to  Indian network centers which handle several companies at the same time. Smaller companies rely on programmers to handle support when workload is light.  As far as companies that make apps...  Those are all subcontracted to one person per app who also must write the help files. 

It's funny years ago I was having a problem with my (music) software not working properly.  It took two months to receive a single reply.  The company has since gone out of business. We can all speculate on why.

While there are still software techs that make house calls.  Most all of that is in California and it's about the OS.  There are "pay" versions of linux operating systems which some companies use that require constant maintenance.  I haven't touched a linux system in over 15 years.  It used to be a hobby of mine that I lost interest in.