Your Ad Could Be Here

Please -I need your help-what means mojo?

Please, I need help because I'm no native speaker and need a very important Information from native speakers-If possible or important also all around the world because maybe it varys..

I promise to tell you the reason I write this AFTER your Answers, but first I need a really uninfluenced feedback.........

What kind of themes come to your mind or how do you associate the word "mojo".....?

Greets from Germany

It sort of has a couple uses. Here's a couple ideas to maybe help.

Man A has a great idea. Man B has a great idea. As much as Man A wants to do his idea but always seems to struggle on actually doing it or getting started. Man B however wants to do it and does what it takes to get it done. He has the mojo to get it done. Similar to gumption or will.

another

Man A and Man B are at a bar and both see a woman they'd like to talk to. Man B goes right over to her, starts talking to her and see what comes of it. Man A keeps watching the woman, but never gets out of his seat to talk to her. He lacks the mojo Man B has. A sexual kind of mojo.

The proper definition has to do with magic. It can be seen kind of as a good luck charm kind of thing. As in: His mojo really helped him get that job.

A vast majority of times I've seen it used in cases similar to the first two examples. 

Edited by Just1L
  • Like 1

OK- thank you, that's what I wanted to hear;)

I suppose that you're a native speaker (US?), so I'll tell why I asked.

My understanding of this word is completely the same, but leaves an open door for more meanings.....same direction.

We named our Acoustic- Duo "CATCH A MOJO", and there is a lot of space for interpretation around music and all the kind of spell that surrounds music that we try to "catch"...so to me that sounded good and nobody else used it before....

Some days ago somebody came along with a complete different version of interpretation*lol*

mojo=a man's d****** and nothing else....and she is definitely a US native speaker too.

uuuuups- that wasn't what we wanted to say........I really felt unpleasant and irritated with that on my mind (even if I know, that some people use the word mojo also for this), especially because of the fact, that all the work with website, Logo etc. is already done......

I hope I can sleep better now;)

Edited by sideline

How old was this person that said that? Reason I ask is definitions change and if she is of the younger set, it could be that's where the meaning is headed. I'm 46 so my version could be different than what it means to the youth today. Gay used to mean happy, etc...

I really googled it before (incl. dictionarys and similar tools) and took my time to check it out in every direction-so to say I "turned all the stones" I could find;)

For me it was important

- to have a name that wasn't used already by someone else (I hate to open google and find myself on site 100235...)

- nobody had a domain with this name yet...

- to find something that "says" something about us or at least our attitude- not only a complete stupid and meaningless word creation (even if it's sometimes the better choice to do so)

It seemed that the phrase was used sometimes and it was no phrase creation of myself......so we decided to use it.

@Just1L

She is really younger- around 25-max.30.......I don't know this exactly....., what you say makes definitely sense....

I think I've noticed, that the word mojo in the meaning of d****  sometimes was used in a kind of paraphrase (sorry-can't find a better word for this-hope you understand) in songlyrics or slang...but thats it.....the most I've found was exactly what you've told before.And that's OK for me;)

@HoboSage

Haha-kajagoogoo-pretty funny-we couldn't be more far away from that......

I think I'll leave it like it is....and if  somebody thinks it is questionable (with the other meaning on his mind) then he has something to talk about-not always bad if people have a reason to talk about you;)

And at least- it's OK if people have something to think about, it's boring when you explain everything.....

My other idea was "MOJO TROUBLE"....that one sounded also good to me, but it's through......my friend didn't like it (tooo negative and too similar to "VINTAGE TROUBLE"....that was his comment....)

At least it was only important for me, that people don't generally laugh about the name and have the picture of catching a d*****on their mind, that would've been cruddy....

Your help is really appreciated-thank you all;)

3 hours ago, sideline said:

- to find something that "says" something about us or at least our attitude

If 'Mojo' really said something about you then you wouldn't be asking us about 'Mojo'... because if you have your Mojo working, you'll be confident in the name and you'll just know if it's right and you won't care much about other opinions... Your Mojo doesn't seem to be working in this situation ;)

That said, it's quite a cool word so might make part of a cool name...but then again, it's been used to death in music, and it might suggest 'Blues' so if you're not Blues based it might be a misleading name.

Haha- my  "mojo" just doesn't seem to work in the use of english......thats it;)

This woman and what she said irritated me, at least I see that I just said what I wanted to say with this name;)...crazy....

Our Music is somehow between Rock,Blues,with some influences of Soul,Funk,Pop-however......I don't mind if some people prefer to use this word for blues...and I don't really know where the road of songwriting will lead us to....let's wait and see;)

I'm definitely not focused on blues!!!To be honest, my roots are more Soul and Rock......but I like a lot of different styles of music;)

Actually we do a lot of covers, but songwriting is in progress-step by step......

My mojo works, but not on you.

In this song, Muddy is 'going to Louisiana to get a mojo hand.

The mojo hand is a magic charm.

These days mojo seems to be associated with personal 'luck' or good fortune.

May I should try to explain what I meant with mojo in this case;)

Lets say, mojo is a kind of good/positive magic or spell you can't explain  that surrounds people or things in a very special way, to make things work (to me its different from "good luck" ...)

I think I cant explain it better in english, but Just1L was nearly on point.

So we try to "catch" (capture?) the positive and magical vibes of Music/Songs when you bring them to an acoustic style......its more in this direction.

Catch this special energie and emotional vibe of acoustic music.....

2 hours ago, sideline said:

Lets say, mojo is a kind of good/positive magic or spell you can't explain  that surrounds people or things in a very special way, to make things work (to me its different from "good luck" ...)

So we try to "catch" (capture?) the positive and magical vibes of Music/Songs when you bring them to an acoustic style......its more in this direction.

Mojo is still connected to a magic charm but these days the charm is forgotten and 'Mojo' is just a way of saying you have ability so good that it's like you have some kind of magic powers working for you. It refers to a time or situation where everything you do is special in some way or at least works especially well. For example if your mojo is working the songs you write or perform will be brilliant. It's not about luck, it's more like unexplainable boosted ability or confidence. In my opinion.

If you say 'a' mojo then as Hobo said that's singular, and so in that case your name can only be refering to the magical item ... I.e if someone throws a macic talisman at you then you could 'catch a mojo'

The 'a' is the problem,  so you could be 'Mojo Catcher' ... it might not be possible to catch mojo but it sounds sinister as though you steal mojo from others, or could refer to the ability to grab or capture magic from thin air.  

Edited by MonoStone

Associated with good luck is not the same as 'good luck'. Its nevertheless consistent with the comparison of a good or indifferent performance.

As has been said; the only correct definition that of the supernatural charm. The rest is just hazy ambiguity.

40 minutes ago, MonoStone said:

capture magic from thin air

I think this describes nearly the "picture" I had on my mind;)))))))))))....

Because in music is something you can't explain, and so it seems like you try to catch something magical.....may successful or not......to decide this will be on the listener....

I think this describes nearly the "picture" I had on my mind;)))))))))))....

Because in music is something you can't explain, and so it seems like you try to catch something magical.....may successful or not......to decide this will be on the listener....

Then you should be Mojo Catcher or something else, not 'Catch A Mojo'

This would be a good watch if you haven't seen it.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0145660/

austinpowers2-more.gif

I think sideline is over-thinking it. If it sounds good to you, just go for it. If anyone passes comment on your band name at all that's a good thing as so many bands are just ignored.

I was in a band called Box of Goats, but we weren't in a box and there were no goats. No-one said they felt cheated because there wasn't actually a Box of Goats.

There are much stranger band names than Catch A Mojo. The moment someone asks you what it means is when you know they care.

6 hours ago, Alistair said:

I think sideline is over-thinking it.

This talk developed in this direction.

Let me quote myself:

On 21.10.2016 at 11:48 PM, sideline said:

At least it was only important for me, that people don't generally laugh about the name and have the picture of catching a d*****on their mind, that would've been cruddy....

So, I think, it's a "little bit" unusual to use those words, but not necessarily wrong- so I can live with it;)

May next time I should check out such things before I make a lot of work- I don't see enough reasons to change now and I'll leave it as it is.

At least I really have no more time left to do the whole work again:rolleyes:...(to be honest, I was happy to have it fixed) because actually it's more important for us to care for the music.....

@MonoStone

I understand, what you say, don't worry because I decide that way;), however, I also want to thank you;)

and thanks to everybody here;)

Edited by sideline

• 3 weeks later...

On 24/10/2016 at 4:24 PM, Alistair said:

I was in a band called Box of Goats, but we weren't in a box and there were no goats. No-one said they felt cheated because there wasn't actually a Box of Goats.

I feel cheated now! i genuinely thought there was a box of goats!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Steve said:

I feel cheated now! i genuinely thought there was a box of goats!

I'm sorry to have had to break it to you. And we split up. In 2008.

But you can console yourself with our live album 'Nanny State' on my Soundcloud link below!