Your Ad Could Be Here

New Years Resolutions

Won't be long, for the next few weeks the subject will come up. Some folks will make an attempt at doing something different in the new year and some will succeed. I think it's the perfect time to reflect on 2016 and look ahead to what happened and then look at new things. A fresh perspective.

These don't always seem to be rigid kinds of things, might be something simple like stop chewing gum. And what's going to happen if we don't meet our own expectations? It's a personal thing I suppose. 

Have you thought about what you might do in 2017? Made any resolutions? Things you would like to accomplish?

I have a few that come to mind and I'll share a few here. 

I planned to look closer at my diet. Not for weight loss really, more for health. If you want to see what I've already started see ** below. I won't bore the rest with those details.

I want to better maximize my time and not care as much about the after effects of my actions if my actions are from the heart and are something I feel I'm made to do. Time is too short to worry about the details sometimes. I feel we should do what we are called to do. Since I'm the type to approach a new task from the solid place of detailed organization I find it difficult to sometimes "wing it" when less that what I think I need is there to do it.....so it's going to be interesting. My aspirations are personal and not profit or popularity driven. In the end I want to say I did what I could with what I had. Hesitation sometimes misses opportunity.

**- From reference above. So far I've bought a juicer and I'm drinking pure fruit and vegetable juice at least twice a day. I've lowered meat intake to smaller portions and mostly only meats considered to be low fat and raised with no hormones, chicken, turkey and  salmon( not farm raised). I buy free range eggs. I look at food labels closely and usually spend more money because I buy healthier food. I am eating more leafy green vegetables for my one meal per day. I'm trying to get the right oils through almonds and other nuts.

I am only drinking one cup of coffee a day and for the rest of the day I drink really healthy teas like green tea and teas with ginger/lemon in them. I add ginger root to some of my foods. I add cinnamon and lemon some of my drinks. I seldom sweeten anything anymore.I buy milk with no hormones in it and minimal additives like vitamin D. 

I'm taking more specialized vitamins. Not all vitamins are created equal.Many if not most vitamins are synthesized. I look for the truest kinds and take those. I take a multi vitamin but I also supplement with others . Vitamin D3 for lack of sun. 2000 iu of it daily. Vitamin E 50 iu. Garlic tablets. 

All of these things aren't direct cures, what they do is help your cells to split properly and defend against viruses and fight cancer. 

I feel better already. My goal is to stay healthy. I allow myself to occasionally fall off the wagon. Yesterday we had a gift card and went to Red Lobster, but I didn't drink any alcohol. I had a small sirlion and shrimp, baked potato with sour cream...probably not healthy over all, but I don't see a problem with it on occasion. I knew I wasn't buying  beef for awhile, so I indulged myself.

The treat indulgence is essential I think. Total denial will be much harder.

I too need to refocus my effort to lose some weight. My diet is not bad so I am taking more exercise.

Badminton, karate, & dancing are my activities now.

18 hours ago, Rudi said:

Badminton, karate, & dancing are my activities now.

Sounds like a great way to start off the new year! 

3 hours ago, starise said:

Sounds like a great way to start off the new year! 

I dont do them all together ;)

I've taken dance lessons for nearly 15 months & started Badminton several month after. Unfortunately I cant get to enough badminton sessions, so that's why I've returned to Karate. I've been away from it for 16 years! I began training 31 years ago. I've forgotten nothing except kata. But even kata is only just below the surface, I've gotten about 5 back already.

Somethings got to work! :excl:

• 3 weeks later...

Good for you! I took Isshinryu Karate years ago. It's a Korean form that uses Lower closer to the body movement. Lots of forearm and knee moves. The most common form around here is Taekwondo. Uses wider moves, high kicks and the like. Not that Isshinryu doesn't do that too. In a real fight I think Isshinru would win hands down. 

So far I'm just walking the dogs every day and getting some physical out of my job...on roofs climbing. Lots of moving equipment to work areas when I'm not doing computer control work. Walking the dogs fast seems to make me feel better. Around here I could walk them for miles and miles.

• 2 weeks later...

While we've skipped some days, my wife and I are both still doing cardio workouts and yoga per our resolution. To be honest, I feel good … to be honest-er, I can't wait to stop working out!

• Like 1

Barely 3 weeks back into training and I pull a hamstring muscle. This is on top of the spinal issue, then bronchitis. The latter started a further 3 weeks ago and I've had to go sick from work. Now a tooth extraction. 

Still you've got to laugh haven't you?

2 hours ago, Rudi said:

Barely 3 weeks back into training and I pull a hamstring muscle. This is on top of the spinal issue, then bronchitis. The latter started a further 3 weeks ago and I've had to go sick from work. Now a tooth extraction. 

Still you've got to laugh haven't you?

Sorry to hear this Rudi. Hope you get well soon!

48 minutes ago, starise said:

Sorry to hear this Rudi. Hope you get well soon!

Its nothing really. Just a reminder that age is demanding more of me. You are the real soldier here mate; without a doubt.

On 2/6/2017 at 11:24 AM, Rudi said:

Its nothing really. Just a reminder that age is demanding more of me. You are the real soldier here mate; without a doubt

Thanks Rudi. After hearing about you recently I think you're minimizing your situation.

I don't feel bad at all. Tired sometimes maybe, but this is after I woke up at 3 or 4 am and went to be at 11pm.

It's now the 9th of February.

The diet is getting a few modifications here and there. I don't like ginger. Plain and simple it tastes bad on everything I put it on and it makes whatever I put it on taste bad.I still occasionally force myself to eat it. I'm liking the pure carrot juice though. I'm brewing and drinking Essiac tea. Don't ask about how it tastes. Just as well dipped a cup of water out of the toilet. 

I have cheated a bit on the coffee intake. Can't seem to kick the stuff. I drink a lot of coffee.  I don't think I ever said I would stop drinking it in 2017.

I holding pretty close to the other resolutions. After this month it's only 10 more months until 2018. Better get crackin'.

Edited by starise

Tried crystallized ginger?

It might also be known as candied ginger.

It does have a lot a sugar in it though. My late partner used it for motion sickness of all things.

Other than that, I've used ginger in curry recipes.

My BIL had some candied ginger which I tried. It still tasted like ginger only sweet. Maybe this is what you're referring to? 

I bought 2 pounds of it so I'm trying to find creative ways to use it up. I like just a dash on salmon. At that rate though I have enough to last me until 2025.

I came across info that aside from many other health benefits ginger helps in destroying cancer cells. 

https://foodrevolution.org/blog/ginger-cancer-treatment/

I don't know why this is? Roots of many types appear to be very good at helping cells fight cancer and other disease. In juicing carrots a person can get pure vitamin A. Not the synthesized kind in vitamins. Dandilion root is another very effective cancer fighting root. I drink it in tea form. Essiac tea is a blend of some lesser known roots. I brew my own from a mix I get online. Just a hunch. Maybe the root is where the most concentrated chemicals are?

Goes without saying if a person eats processed sugar all the time, doesn't get any exercise  and eats a lot of the bad kind of cholesterol, those roots might not help. Lots of vegetables and fruits. NO SODA, even diet soda. and very little meat. 

Though skeptical in my later years, especially about medicines, sometimes we need to grasp the nettle and hope for the best. That isn't as negative a stance as it might seem. I have recently taken to turmeric supplements to combat osteoarthritis. I dont know if it works, but someone I know says it helps him, so I'm giving it a go.

It so happens that some of these things are beneficial, and it takes a while for academia to catch up.

So I propose a toast (with my coffee) to ginger & turmeric [smiley=beerchug.gif] cheers and good health

I have also heard about how good tumeric is. I have some which I need to use more.I think two things bear out the wisdom in holistic treatments.

1. Almost all modern drugs are synthesized from known compounds usually these are plant based. If we can find the plants we can take it in natural form.Many more of these things are helpful than they let on or know.

2. Modern medicine treats symptoms  with these drugs. IOW, they remove the cancer but never ask, what caused the cancer? They remove it and it grows back again.

I can't tell you how many people I know who are in this predicament. At the end they are told, " There's nothing else we can do." Medicine is a business here. If they cured all of us there wouldn't be any money in it for the pharmaceutical companies and doctors. The next industry to deal with after that is the funeral industry.

Most people I know who went in for tumor removal went back home to processed sugar,hormone enhanced meat and coca cola.

In addition there's some serious stuff going down across the globe that's potentially life threatening. I wouldn't eat any fish caught in the Pacific. Last I heard, irradiated water is still dumping at the rate of 300 tons a day from the Fukishima nuclear plant and has spread all the way to the Ca. coast. Radiation is higher than ever there. 

Here's to our health! Cheers!  [smiley=beerchug.gif]