Your Ad Could Be Here

recording in protools

For a few years my recording went something like this.

Open protools, test the mic level on the edit screen to make sure it wasn't pegging out, hit record, play and sing, hit stop, bounce to disk, post it.  Then I began to see the eq and compression plug ins and messed around with them a little, but found it kind of difficult to find a preset that I really liked.  But I did use them, along with some reverb.  I wasn't consistent.

But now I've started to see there are a few things I can do to make it sound better and be more consistent.  My questions start with some basics.

I now try to record at least two tracks, one for guitar, one for vox.  I still need to pay closer attention to mic placement to start with and initial level settings, but once I have two tracks, or maybe three if I add some keyboards, where is the best place to start?

Please remember, I'm only just now beginning to understand anything to do with mixing.  Do I start with adding eq for my first plugin or compression?  when is the best time to add reverb?

Any response will I'm sure be helpful, but it won't take much of an answer to go straight over my head.  If you could find or suggest three things to use in order of importance to make a simple 1+1 sound better, what would you suggest?

MP

MP - I know when I started, I would lay out the track before I added anything extra or mucked about with panning/volume etc. I would play each of the instruments and do the vocal.

As I got used to the DAW, I started to mix as I was adding instrument tracks, changing volume/panning, this gave a feel of how much background to add to fill out the track.

I would say concentrate on the basic track first, then start with getting the volume correct and then panning. At this point you can add any of the plugins for reverb etc.

The only time I would maybe add the plugins, is if they give you a specific sound to help create the song.

I know others will give you varied examples of how they create and what they feel is the best way to do this. Just thought I would give you how I started. Good luck.

• Like 1

A good tip for the volume is to turn everything down to null and start adding each track at a time until everything sounds like it is sitting right in the mix, you will be surprised how little you need to add for some of the instruments. 

• Like 1

Thanks Richard.

So actually start by using the level knob, then look at panning them.  I actually just started using panning last night and noticed even a slight pan left for guitar and a slight pan right for vocal would make the song sound a little bit wider.  I don't add many drum tracks unless I'm using it for a click track, I usually don't leave the drum track in but I sometimes do.

I record everything in mono.  Is that right, I notice there is only one channel per track that way.

I set up the interface as mono, and the record track in protools as a mono track.

Hey David, yes that was helpful as I have made some of those mistakes already.  I will try you other suggestions.  I've got a song in mind, doing the electric guitar on one track and the acoustic on one track and panning one right and one left.  Both will be the same strumming pattern. 

Thank you

16 minutes ago, McnaughtonPark said:

Thanks Richard.

So actually start by using the level knob, then look at panning them.  I actually just started using panning last night and noticed even a slight pan left for guitar and a slight pan right for vocal would make the song sound a little bit wider.  I don't add many drum tracks unless I'm using it for a click track, I usually don't leave the drum track in but I sometimes do.

I record everything in mono.  Is that right, I notice there is only one channel per track that way.

I set up the interface as mono, and the record track in protools as a mono track.

I see David's already mentioned about 1 + 1 and the best way to get the effect you would desire. I was talking more for when you start to add more instrument tracks. I would go for David's input for 1 + 1 and probably anything else he tells you when it comes to mixing. I'm still learning, but hopefully getting the hang of it.

• Like 1

McP - just had a thought - ProTools is probably one of the harder DAW's to get the hang of. I just bought Reason 9 Essential on disc from Amazon for £49. It isn't the full package, but contains a lot of sounds and still allows you to produce a song and seems fairly easy so far to use. If you are wanting to go almost 1 +1, with some extra instrumentation, this might be something to consider. It also contains a lot of drum loops to get you started with Dr.OctoRex. I think this is what David and Dek use.

• Like 1

That may be a good way to go.  I'm not sure why but if I use a sound hole pickup on the acoustic, I don't get any volume if I plug it into the interface.  It works fine if I plug into an amp, and plug the amp into the interface.  Well, I get a lot of hum, like a bad ground or something but the volume is there.  Is this a case of needing to power the interface with something other than the USB port?  I may need a new interface then and in that case, I may want to start with a new DAW 

but will I be able to move my protools  files over to the new program?

Edited by McnaughtonPark

If your amp is powered that may answer the answer, it could be the pickup needs powered and there isn't enough power to do the interface and pickup through USB.

If you are going to be recording into a DAW, it may be worth investing in a new interface. I have a Focusrite Scarlet 2i2, as it was the best I could find for the price point. It allows me to in 2 ports - 1 for mic and 1 for guitar. The interface is powered, but I use a powered USB point as well.

You could always save your stems as midi or audio depending on how you have recorded them and import into a new DAW.

Others may be able to give you better advice as they have been doing this a lot longer.

Edited by Richard Tracey
  • Like 1

On 9 January 2017 at 3:57 AM, McnaughtonPark said:

I'm not sure why but if I use a sound hole pickup on the acoustic, I don't get any volume if I plug it into the interface.  It works fine if I plug into an amp, and plug the amp into the interface.  Well, I get a lot of hum, like a bad ground or something but the volume is there.

That's a really weird sounding issue... I have a focusrite same as Richard (and others on here I think), it's only usb powered and it works with anything I've plugged into it (including an acoustic with a pickup in it). I don't know much about pickups though...

On 9 January 2017 at 3:57 AM, McnaughtonPark said:

but will I be able to move my protools  files over to the new program?

Some DAWs might be compatible, most won't be... you'd have to check specs. You certainly wouldn't be able to open a pro-tools project file within Reason. But as Richard said, WAVs will work of course, and midi probably.

I'm not sure that changing DAW would benefit you. Pro Tools is probably used more than Reason and should have what you need... your call.

On 4 January 2017 at 6:58 PM, McnaughtonPark said:

Please remember, I'm only just now beginning to understand anything to do with mixing.  Do I start with adding eq for my first plugin or compression?  when is the best time to add reverb?

I reckon it's different depending on the result you want and what's needed. Probably wise to get a rough mix first with the bare bones arrangement and without effects, get the song constructed, and then add effects where you feel they're needed. Use compression if the recording seems to need it... Personally I think EQ is the important one, but you have to go by ear... I find that I can improve the sound of my voice or guitar by altering the EQ, and if you're adding a lot of tracks to the arrangement EQ can be used to help each track cut through and remove a build up of frequencies you don't want. Also panning is really important IF you have more than a 1+1 arrangement.

I'm guilty of over-using effects... I find myself trying to use less now rather than more (although I still overdo it more often than I should because I'm a bit crap)... I reckon the key to a good production is - Your best performance and your cleanest recording. If you have that, then you don't need to tinker much...and it'll be easier to get a good sounding result. Don't settle for your first take, unless you get lucky and nail it!!! Do it again, and again!!! Record in a place where you get a good sound without background noise and with minimal roomy reverb (unless you happen to have a room that just sounds GREAT), short of getting your room treated try to record somewhere that's a bit cluttered with soft furnishings etc, so the sound isn't bouncing around... use the best mic you can.... And if you're doing an acoustic tune, mic the acoustic rather than going direct... you shouldn't need a special mic for the acoustic if your vocal mic is half decent...not unless you want to get all 'pro' and fussy about it. Experiment with mic placement (or your distance from the mic) for both vocals and acoustic, until you find what sounds best....  I think what's recorded is so important to the end production.... you could spend forever trying to polish up a crap recording through 'production'..... 

Edited by MonoStone

On 1/4/2017 at 10:58 AM, McnaughtonPark said:

Any response will I'm sure be helpful, but it won't take much of an answer to go straight over my head.  If you could find or suggest three things to use in order of importance to make a simple 1+1 sound better, what would you suggest?

For my 1+1 recordings I like to EQ first, then compress. I mostly use EQ to cut out low frequencies. I record in the city where there is a lot of traffic, and sometimes low rumbly noises from cars and trucks creep in to my recordings. Compression brings out the the quieter parts in your recordings, so I feel like I want to EQ first to remove things I know I don't want to hear before I start compressing. After compression sometimes I'll experiment with another EQ to boost certain frequencies to try to make things sound better, in those cases it looks like EQ -> Compression -> EQ.

A couple tricks that helped me with vocal recordings. I started using a sensitive condenser mic, which was great, but sounded bad when I was too close to it. If you make the 'hang loose' gesture with your hand, touch your thumb to your lips your pinky should be touching the pop filter which is a few inches in front of the mic capsule. That helped me get the right distance away from the mic. Oh yeah, I also didn't start using a pop filter right away, which was dumb, because those 'p' and 'b' plosive sounds are awful.

In terms of reverb, it sort of depends on what your room sounds like. If you record your guitar  in a small room like a closet with soft clothes everywhere, you're going to get a dead neutral sound, where the sound waves aren't bouncing around much. In that case it can be really helpful to add a "room reverb" that makes the guitar sound like it was recorded in a studio, or other room that was designed to have nice acoustics. Some folks like to do this as they have a lot more control of the room sound. If you're recording in sizable room already, the mic is going to pick up the sound of your guitar sound waves bouncing around that room, so you might not need to add a reverb on your guitar track.

On vocals there is this kind of reverb called a 'plate reverb' which in the real world is a giant metal plate the size of a door that has been traditionally used to make vocals sound awesome. So many great vocal performances in recorded music have had plate reverb added to them, I think our ears when we hear it on a vocal immediately "get it". I like to add a little plate reverb (like I would add salt to a soup) to all my vocal tracks.

Edited by chumpy
  • Like 1

In my experience using a sound hole pickup will not sound as good as a mic recording.

Preferably quality pencil condenser mics if possible. I use two large condenser mics with the roll off switches engaged..almost as good. Of course you can just record one track with one mic but you'll loose the stereo effect.

Almost all guitars need the benefit of lower mid EQ adjustment. This is almost a given. I have done well by using a smaller guitar.  I personally think a smaller guitar body makes better recordings. 

If you're new to recording I won't hit you with too much at once but feel free to PM me or ask anything you like here. There's the best way and then there's the way most people do it. 

The best way is to use a seperate hardware preamp and nice mics. Most people are using one mic and a general recording interface. It gets the job done if done right.

It's best to use a hardware compressor/EQ before the audio hits the mic preamp. If done well you won't need to do much to it after it's recorded.

Most will use software EQ and compression. They will not be using high end mics or pre amps. If you want  better options I would look at software dynamic EQ's and Multi band compressors since they can be adjusted to be more selective. These might be separate purchases and not in PT. 

I generally record with an input level of -6 to -8 db into the channel. You don't need to boost it too much because you'll be adding more to it later in the master channel. For acoustic guitar try experimenting with small cuts in the 400hz range on the EQ. LOw cut at 60hz.

Small compression ratios if absolutely necessary. Don't try to give the signal too much boost at this stage with the volume makeup knob on the compressor. For reverb make a separate reverb send, put the reverb on that and use the send of your channels to the reverb send. You'll also need to play with your levels after adding reverb through the send because the send adds the feeling of more overall volume. 

I tend to favor smaller reverbs for guitar, but that's me.

This is a start, but then you'll want to add sheen on the master with various treatments if necessary. Further EQ to the whole mix. Maybe a limiter.The more tracks you have the more complex things can get with relation to the master and how every track plays well together. A 1+1 should be too difficult and a great place to get your feet wet.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've been looking for an inexpensive set of pencil mics. These are at the low end but they get good ratings. If you see this today 1/30/17. There's a real deal on them.

If you search " Musicians Friend Stupid Deal Of The Day" http://www.musiciansfriend.com/stupid

, there's a deal on there every day. Today happens to be CAD pencil mics. The MFSDOTD only lists one mic at 29.00.

Better yet is the matched pair for 59.00 today also on sale. 

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/cad-cm217-condenser-mic--buy-two-and-save?pfm=item_page.rr1

These are supposed to be great for acoustic guitar recording. A few have used it in a 1+1 setup with good results. I like the matched pair for  stereo recording.

These aren't the very best. but the reviews are good. Might be just the thing for a home studio. If they don't work for you, you can return them.

• Like 1