Your Ad Could Be Here

Music Cheatsheets Anybody?

• Editors

As someone who deals with symptoms of depression (& laziness! lol ), I decided to deactivate my Facebook profile. It was consuming way too much of my time, not just because of my presumably weak will power to resist social media but also because of the constant formality of keeping in touch with people and of course, lots of business/career related communication. 

While I only have my Facebook Artist page now to manage, I use the internet for extracting some useful/interesting/funny/memorable content. So... cheatsheets anybody? I'd rather see it as a cohesive set of useful basic concepts in one place, which is all that it is anyways. 

e88b7fef389149e6de25b59710056896.jpg

c690dcc3604a32cf64afb0cf886643ae.jpg

80c7c749faae81687661a1f88b7db683.jpg

and of course, my favorite. ;) 

2d333f1382d511df5a17a09248a4211f.jpg

• Like 2

• Editors
8 hours ago, tunesmithth said:

While I'm not a cheat-sheet guy Mahesh, I do have a question.

Since you've deactivated your profile, how are you managing your artist page?

My personal experience with Facebook is pretty extensive & I've always understood the rule to be....everything has to be linked-to and managed-from a personal profile. I'm not aware of any exceptions.

Have you found some way around this long standing rule?

Tom

Never mind Mahesh. ;)

The obvious answer is that you assigned one or more co-administrators to your artist page who've agreed to manage it for you.

If you don't respond to my question, I'll assume that's the case.

I only asked because I didn't want to see you make the same mistake I've watched countless others make.

Hiya Tom,

Your assumptions aren't wrong. I do have my manager taking care of the page to a certain extent. But I've also made another fake/anonymous Facebook profile which is simply for managing the page. So I've no friends on there or anything like that. This way, it keeps things clean. :)

7 hours ago, HoboSage said:

Though it's not the only alt tuning I use that isn't there,  I'm surprised that the  E A D G A E tuning I use so much is not on the supposedly Complete Guitar Tuning Chart.  It's one of the simplest and best-sounding alt tunings.

Huh, That's unfortunate. I just tried the tuning you mentioned, beautiful indeed. I've only gone to a dropped D tuning until now for a couple of songs. Time to start exploring and seeing the kind of sounds I can create. 

• Editors
3 minutes ago, Rudi said:

I've never seen anything like these before. :mellow:

The tunings? Try the last one, triqueen. Sounds wonderful when you just let all the strings open. I'll definitely be using the harmonics of that tuning as well as the other ones on my EP. They just give such a different vibe.

3 minutes ago, Mahesh said:

The tunings? Try the last one, triqueen. Sounds wonderful when you just let all the strings open. I'll definitely be using the harmonics of that tuning as well as the other ones on my EP. They just give such a different vibe.

No Mahesh, the cheat sheets!

I used to use open C, D, G tunings as well as dropped D (there was even a tune in open Cmaj7) when I was much younger (30 years ago). I haven't bothered much since. It wears out yer strings too quick!

I used to change strings every week or two back then.

So, uh hem, I feel stupid asking this, but when using alt tuning, does my left hand use the same cord shapes in the same positions as when using standard tuning?  

3 hours ago, McnaughtonPark said:

So, uh hem, I feel stupid asking this, but when using alt tuning, does my left hand use the same cord shapes in the same positions as when using standard tuning?  

No. Its all different, except for the Hendrix example (that I noticed anyway) which is every string tuned down a semitone.

When using an open tuning (tuned to a chord) you can use a single finger bar for a chord or use a slide. Joni Mitchels Chelsea Morning is an example of this sort of tuning in a song, but she frets certain stings and allows the others to 'drone'. 

Its not difficult to 'find' some altered chords to use in that way. Sounds great.

• Editors
3 hours ago, McnaughtonPark said:

What Rudi said.

The shapes are going to be more than less different. But that is not necessarily a bad thing. It allows for chord voicings that would have been either not possible or difficult to use in standard tuning because of the limitation that we have because of the number of fingers and their lengths. 

Even at the basic level, there is a lot of room to play around. For example, there are many tunings in that chart which are set to certain chord tones themselves. That means that simply playing it all open strings without holding any fret would give us a nice full chord. From here, it is easy to make some deductions and try many ideas.

For example, if you take the Open D tuning, simply playing the all the strings without holding any frets gives us a D chord obviously. But that means, if you just barre the 2nd fret and hold all the strings there and give it a whirl, you've got an E chord. This way, without even having to learn any shape, you are already on your way to playing many chords, adding to it the ability to simply side between them giving you creative space. Figuring out a minor shape from here wouldn't be that difficult since you'd simply have to flatten the 3rds. 

Basic stuff, sure, but you get to reap much more by experimenting. 

Fantastic, thanks guys.  I did one song in drop d a few years ago and haven't been able to make that tuning work me me again.  I was using the chord shapes I knew and they didn't seem to work.  But, I started the right way back then because I didn't know any chords, just went looking until my ear was happy.  All this time I thought I was doing something wrong.

thanks again