chumpy

Is there a point to making an album?

70 posts in this topic

Good points to ponder Chicken Picker. 

I  have had the occasional drop out with bluetooth connections so I can relate to that frustration. A few things that helped me were- Putting the phone on charge in the car. If the battery is low the bluetooth signal might be weak. If your car allows for direct connection use that instead. Location of the phone to the radio is important. At the very least I remove the phone and put it close to the receiver. I suspect Chicago has a lot of radio interference like most big cities, so maybe none of this will help, or maybe you've already tried it all. Some phones have a very poor ability to connect compared to others. A cheap android might not do as well as a better phone would. Data roaming setting would also be important here. If you aren't using data roaming you'll likely loose the connection.

Though I don't often listen to CD's anymore I've been very tempted to get the Time life  set of CD's. It's a collection that covers every song that made it for the last 50 years. Don't know if you've heard of it? That seemed like something worth having, although it's all been "professionally remastered". That could be a red flag.Sometimes remasters aren't as good as the originals.

If I go to hear a small act somewhere and I like what they do I'll almost always buy their CD. Then I listen to it two or three times and somehow the case gets separated from the CD and the CD gets scratched. At some point a few month later I'll hit the CD eject button to see what was in there or hit play :)

I have purged about 30 cds from my collection, but still have about 800. I do buy cds still. I have all of them digitally stored also, but keep the cds because I dont trust the ipod & hard drives not to go pffffiiiizzzz.... one day.

No Tim. Not heard of Time Life CDs. I take it they are not a band. A religious label?

On 22/02/2017 at 5:17 PM, starise said:

a collection that covers every song that made it for the last 50 years

every song that made it? Did you mean' it made'? :huh:

Edited by Rudi
nosey

2 hours ago, Rudi said:

No Tim. Not heard of Time Life CDs. I take it they are not a band. A religious label?

This isn't  religious music. I see the Time/Life music collection over here in the US sometimes touted  on public TV as a way to raise revenue, or on an infomercial. 

They sell collections of around 10 CDs. with hundreds of songs in any given genre. If someone wanted to own all of the hits in a ten year segment, say 70's rock, you could buy that collection, but as I mentioned, I've read a few reviews on these and some people don't like the way they were put together. These would be the songs that got the most radio play on the radio during the time period. They must be ok overall though because they sell a lot of these collections. 

http://timelife.com/?gclid=CjwKEAiAuc_FBRD7_JCM3NSY92wSJABbVoxBVdBZn1ex_zOPzQm1d8ovMrs4Z9f7jV-iE95ni5MkJBoChrHw_wcB

Music collections might be another way to raise interest interest in music. We could make one for the artists here and call it, " All The Good Stuff You Never Heard". :)

2 hours ago, Rudi said:

every song that made it? Did you mean' it made'? :huh:

" Made it", meaning became popular. Don't forget, I flunked English class. :blink:

2 hours ago, starise said:

" Made it", meaning became popular. Don't forget, I flunked English class. 

Ah... of course! I should have realised.

The 'classic album' or multi-original album sets are pretty good value if you are into particular artists.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_4_7/253-5331218-2144620?url=search-alias%3Dpopular&field-keywords=classic+albums+box+sets&sprefix=classic%2Cpopular%2C349&crid=3KDKG9F4HL6L0

2 hours ago, starise said:

These would be the songs that got the most radio play on the radio during the time period.

Popular radio / playlists etc ! :censored2: ! Just listen to Radio 2, that just keeps re-serving up the same stuff from the last 60 years anyway :P

I like a few of those offerings, only I can't buy it because I don't have British money:P :unsure:.

In your example that's about .20 per song give or take in a 5 CD collection at around 10 euros.. Not a bad deal for the purchaser. 

In some cases the artist is long dead.  These sets seem aimed at the nostalgic buyer. Not the up and coming, cutting edge new music buyer.

Stubborn old coots are wary of parting with their hard earned money on something new and untested.

If a person wants to make an album though, I say, " just do it". The tech is there now to make a master at home, upload it, sell hard copies if you want. 

I'd just rather give them away.

Is there a reason to make an album?

If you are a band and have any aspirations of moving up to the next level, the answer is YES. 

You said your band has enough songs to do an "album" - then by all means produce it. It doesn't have to be a physical product but it does need to be available to your fanbase. So many bands get stuck in the local bar grind, and most never progress beyond that because they never committed to doing their own original music. Some bands never make it out of their rehersal space. You need to do two things to have any shot at all: gig and have your own tunes. That formula hasn't changed for decades, and, even though the 'record industry' is undergoing a dramatic shift, playing live and having records (by this I mean a "record" of your songs/work/compositions available in ANY way) is essential.

The other reason to produce your songs is from the artistic perspective. There is never a better time to record your art for posterity than NOW.

Peace,

TC

Edited by TCgypsy
2 people like this

2 hours ago, Rudi said:

I'd just rather give them away.

Can I get a hard copy of that? 

13 hours ago, starise said:

Can I get a hard copy of that? 

Certainly.

When its done.

The hard drive disaster has set me back a few months though.

1 person likes this

[smiley=acoustic.gif] :specool: