• Announcements

• Songstuff

New Chat App   06/02/2017

We have a new chat app available. You will need to sign up for it. You can pick up the invite link at the top of your member hub page:   http://forums.songstuff.com/member/hub/   Remember to use your Songstuff registered email and user name when you sign up! Using the invite link will automatically add you to the Songstuff chat channel.
Richard Tracey

Enjoy The Silence

17 posts in this topic

Hi all and no this is not a cover of the fantastic Depeche Mode song... but instead it is an instrumental piece I wrote a while back for a potential EP (called Into Madness) I was going to do. It was going to be around 5 instrumental pieces, all electronic/synthpop. I know this is an instrumental, but I am posting it here as no-one seems to go into the instrumental page much.

Any feedback on this would be much appreciated (I think the drums may be a tad too loud on this one)... let me know what you think.... Cheers

https://soundcloud.com/moodman-1/enjoy-the-silence-mix-03022017-2020/s-Ig24U

1 person likes this

Hey Richard,

Good song overall, I like the tune to it - might just be me but personally I think the drum level is fine; I wouldn't push it any louder, but I don't think there's any need to reduce it either, it fits the style as is and seems pretty well balanced.

One thing I would comment on - the form of the song seems to be Intro, A, B, A, B, C, A, B, B and it fades out in the last section. This is a pretty common form for a lot of songs (especially pop music) but I think, given that this piece is instrumental, despite the fact that you have a really catchy, engaging tune, the form makes it feel a bit repetitive which detracts from the impact. (Referencing each 'A' as verse and 'B' as chorus and 'C' as bridge for my sake) The verses aren't very different from each other, which isn't a real problem, but even though the 'verses' are different from the 'choruses,' because there isn't much of a change in instrumentation or dynamics it isn't easy to distinguish between the two - it might help to add another instrument for the choruses to enhance the timbre and distinguish that change in form a little further; maybe even just some soft pads (possibly introduced second chorus), since there seems to be more of an ambience to the choruses with the main riff being played sustained which is quite cool and imo would be awesome to play on that quality even more.

Admittedly, I do also feel like the fade-out is a little anti-climatic; in the same way you build into the song in the intro, you could do something similar for an outro as opposed to the fade-out and I think it would be a more conclusive end to the song and probably sound cooler too, but that might just be personal preference since I've never been too fond of fading out of a song - it does fade out on a nice note, too, which is in your favour if you didn't want to change it, because it works, and if the follow-up song on the EP is something with a very different atmosphere it might be a more appropriate way to end it.

Otherwise this is a pretty cool song - is very catchy and has a nice vibe to it overall, mixing and levels are also great from my perspective; could definitely also see it having a place even as video game music or something along those lines too! Great work! :D

1 person likes this

Nice beat, Richard! The whole vibe of it reminded me of Turbo's famous broom dance scene in Breakin', great stuff! :dancingstick:

One thing that sounds a little off to me is - what I assume to be - the beat of the kick drum. I think you could simplify it a little more since there's already a good rhythmic bass in there? But still, this track sounds pretty awesome!

Ken 

Edited by ImKeN
Typed, Jim, in stead of Richard. Just woke up so I wasn't thinking proper.
1 person likes this

1 hour ago, JoshuaMaier said:

One thing I would comment on - the form of the song seems to be Intro, A, B, A, B, C, A, B, B and it fades out in the last section. This is a pretty common form for a lot of songs (especially pop music) but I think, given that this piece is instrumental, despite the fact that you have a really catchy, engaging tune, the form makes it feel a bit repetitive which detracts from the impact. (Referencing each 'A' as verse and 'B' as chorus and 'C' as bridge for my sake) The verses aren't very different from each other, which isn't a real problem, but even though the 'verses' are different from the 'choruses,' because there isn't much of a change in instrumentation or dynamics it isn't easy to distinguish between the two - it might help to add another instrument for the choruses to enhance the timbre and distinguish that change in form a little further; maybe even just some soft pads (possibly introduced second chorus), since there seems to be more of an ambience to the choruses with the main riff being played sustained which is quite cool and imo would be awesome to play on that quality even more.

Thanks for listening Joshua - yeah, I kind of went the traditional route with this one even although it was always going to be an instrumental, I don't know why I did that!!

I'll listen to it again as I thought I had added extra sounds to the verses and choruses as the song went on, it might be they are not coming through on the mix. You are right though that it could do with a bit of variation in the instrumentation - although there are quite a lot of sounds, they are very similar.

I'll have a tinker with this over the weekend and see if I can add something to change it up a bit.

Admittedly, I do also feel like the fade-out is a little anti-climatic; in the same way you build into the song in the intro, you could do something similar for an outro as opposed to the fade-out and I think it would be a more conclusive end to the song and probably sound cooler too, but that might just be personal preference since I've never been too fond of fading out of a song - it does fade out on a nice note, too, which is in your favour if you didn't want to change it, because it works, and if the follow-up song on the EP is something with a very different atmosphere it might be a more appropriate way to end it.

See, I love the fade out and think it is something that is really missing in songs nowadays - I read an article about that very subject a few months back and it is something that is meant to be making a comeback. To be honest, given the EP format, I would probably change the ending of all the tracks to see if they could slide nicely into each other anyway, I just don't have a track listing in mind yet, although I have 10 tracks to choose from.

Otherwise this is a pretty cool song - is very catchy and has a nice vibe to it overall, mixing and levels are also great from my perspective; could definitely also see it having a place even as video game music or something along those lines too! Great work! :D

Thanks, I am never sure whether the songs sound like proper songs someone other than me would listen to. Glad you thought it was catchy. Cheers

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, ImKeN said:

Nice beat, Richard! The whole vibe of it reminded me of Turbo's famous broom dance scene in Breakin', great stuff! :dancingstick:

One thing that sounds a little off to me is - what I assume to be - the beat of the kick drum. I think you could simplify it a little more since there's already a good rhythmic bass in there? But still, this track sounds pretty awesome!

Ken 

Thanks Ken - still not sure of the beat to be honest, I will probably muck about with it, which should hopefully fix the kick drum issue. Glad you like the track. Cheers

Edited by Richard Tracey
bloody autocorrect!!!

Thumping sound, Richard. I like the tune.

I don't think the drums are too loud, for me it seems good to be thumping. The cymbals seem to come in and out a bit in volume sometimes?

I wonder whether the overall mix might be slightly hot? Or pushing a limiter a bit or something...I dunno...by the end part my ears felt a bit bashed, but not too much.

For my taste I'd like a new section with a drastic change because it's quite kind of pounding and relentless. Sorry I feel like I harp on about dynamics/arrangements on your stuff, it's maybe just my taste, but I felt like it stayed on the same level throughout (except for the obvious dropped down bridge kind of section but that still stayed similar tune-wise and was short). Dunno... sometimes I like music to stay on a similar level throughout, usually if it's hypnotic or really grooving, but for me this one is so pacey and in your face that it could really use some changes.

Edited by MonoStone
1 person likes this

7 hours ago, MonoStone said:

Thumping sound, Richard. I like the tune.

I don't think the drums are too loud, for me it seems good to be thumping. The cymbals seem to come in and out a bit in volume sometimes?

I wonder whether the overall mix might be slightly hot? Or pushing a limiter a bit or something...I dunno...by the end part my ears felt a bit bashed, but not too much.

For my taste I'd like a new section with a drastic change because it's quite kind of pounding and relentless. Sorry I feel like I harp on about dynamics/arrangements on your stuff, it's maybe just my taste, but I felt like it stayed on the same level throughout (except for the obvious dropped down bridge kind of section but that still stayed similar tune-wise and was short). Dunno... sometimes I like music to stay on a similar level throughout, usually if it's hypnotic or really grooving, but for me this one is so pacey and in your face that it could really use some changes.

Yeah, I know what you mean Dek - I need to look at all my tracks as a lot are full on from the start (something I like, but not to everyone's taste). I thought I had mixed this one up a bit with 3 distinct parts (it was originally 3 different ideas thrown together), but I think making the instrumentation the same throughout has given it the feeling of sounding the same.

I am going to revisit the instrumentation and arrangement on this one. I feel I could probably do something EP wise with the instrumental tracks, as it means I dont have to get vocals right;)

And you are correct about the level of this track - I boosted it quite a bit and shoved a limiter on (something I don't tend to do), but I think I boosted it too much, even though I dropped the overall volume level before bouncing down to MP3.

Ah, I already imagined a cover of the DM song;)...

In any case, nice and catchy what you did there, Richard...

There is something hypnotic in this tune...

This is very cool the passage at 1:30...

Catchy sounds for a catchy work!

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, Matthew76 said:

Ah, I already imagined a cover of the DM song;)...

In any case, nice and catchy what you did there, Richard...

There is something hypnotic in this tune...

This is very cool the passage at 1:30...

Catchy sounds for a catchy work!

'Thanks Matthew - catchy is what I was aiming for, so glad you think so.:D

Nice song! I like the kind of encouraging tune of it. The mod vibra of the synth on 1.00 should be a lot faster in my opinion. It's kinda 'whiny'. Other than that. I liked every bit of it and kept my interest till the end. Good job.

1 person likes this

I think if you push the kick/base beat into more prominence...you'd end up with a relentless non-stop dance/disco tune.  not a bad thing...I could see people out on a dance floor grooving to this.[smiley=bounce.gif]  It's got a nice, positive feel to it.  

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, Utopia said:

Nice song! I like the kind of encouraging tune of it. The mod vibra of the synth on 1.00 should be a lot faster in my opinion. It's kinda 'whiny'. Other than that. I liked every bit of it and kept my interest till the end. Good job.

'Cheers Utopia - I think a couple of the synth sounds will be changed on this one going forward. This is part of a group of similar idea songs that I wanted to put together for an EP. Every time I listen to it, I am disappointed in some of the sounds, so I am hoping changing a couple of the synths will fix the issue you had with the song.

11 minutes ago, JH Michaels said:

I think if you push the kick/base beat into more prominence...you'd end up with a relentless non-stop dance/disco tune.  not a bad thing...I could see people out on a dance floor grooving to this.[smiley=bounce.gif]  It's got a nice, positive feel to it.  

'Cheers JH - I'll have a look at the kick etc and see about boosting it. I did have it really in your face in the previous version, but it hurt the ears after a while, so maybe a happy medium would sort that out.

I like this, very simple and catchy. I listened four or five times before I stopped thinking the segue into the choruses didn't quite feel right. That major key just felt kind of odd, at first. I like it now, though. I was also interested in why this seemed to work without a dedicated bass line, and I think it is because there is a really good low pass filter on that second synth. I think you might experiment a little with either adding a bass that only accents the first few notes or routing the synth to another track and parallel processing it with a filter and comp (at something like 30%). I do think the drums can come up a touch. It's an anthem, right? Fun song!

1 person likes this

11 hours ago, Steve Mueske said:

I like this, very simple and catchy. I listened four or five times before I stopped thinking the segue into the choruses didn't quite feel right. That major key just felt kind of odd, at first. I like it now, though. I was also interested in why this seemed to work without a dedicated bass line, and I think it is because there is a really good low pass filter on that second synth. I think you might experiment a little with either adding a bass that only accents the first few notes or routing the synth to another track and parallel processing it with a filter and comp (at something like 30%). I do think the drums can come up a touch. It's an anthem, right? Fun song!

Cheers Steve - I'll need to check again as I thought I did have a bass line running in this one, but it may sound more like the synth you mentioned.

I had the drums a lot louder and reduced them for this version, as my ears were nearly bleeding:huh:

I'm glad the segue started to work for you, I felt it was something different and wanted to run with it and see what others thought.

Now you are starting to get too technical for me with parallel processing etc... I'll have a look at this though and see what I can do.

Very "Mode-ish" indeed. 

It's got a nice blend of sounds and motifs. Overall, I think the drum level is fine. In fact, I think a bit more emphasis on the snare sound would improve the mix. A more robust snare sound or a second snare sample blended into the mix dynamically would make the song pop even more. It lacks attack which is fine through some parts of the tune but I would add that second sample during the more aggressive sections.

The mix is good if a bit 'flat' - by that I mean it is lacking a certain depth (something I struggle with in my mixes, too). The stereo image is good, however.

Overall, it's interesting, and sounds good.

Peace,

TC

1 person likes this

28 minutes ago, TCgypsy said:

Very "Mode-ish" indeed. 

It's got a nice blend of sounds and motifs. Overall, I think the drum level is fine. In fact, I think a bit more emphasis on the snare sound would improve the mix. A more robust snare sound or a second snare sample blended into the mix dynamically would make the song pop even more. It lacks attack which is fine through some parts of the tune but I would add that second sample during the more aggressive sections.

The mix is good if a bit 'flat' - by that I mean it is lacking a certain depth (something I struggle with in my mixes, too). The stereo image is good, however.

Overall, it's interesting, and sounds good.

Peace,

TC

Cheers TC - that's interesting about the snare and using a second snare sample... I think I will give that a try.

I'll have another look at the mix and see if I can tweak to to add more depth - it might just need to be EQ'd again.