Your Ad Could Be Here

starting from scratch

I probably would have had a Rowland VS but they were out of production when I looked in 2011 (thats how long my BR1600 lasted. Not the 10 years I thought).

I changed plan this morning. I decided to check out the 'new' BR by recording something. I now have a 95% complete 'Tuesday Evenings Rest'. Its just 2 tracks, guitar & vocal, but I added a couple of guide tracks which I'll delete later.

The SATA drive is parceled up ready to go back. Hopefully the supplier will still have a ATA drive when he receives it.

No, the CD is going to have to be done manually piece by piece. I tried the 'load all' option but every subsequent set overwrites the 1st one. :(. I s'pose I better get on with it.

Let us know how it all works out....and if you live several stories up and get frustrated with it, please disregard that first thought to throw it out the window.

The replacement m/c is upstairs in my studio. The old one is on the groundfloor dining table.

TBH I'm just glad I can record again now. I do have my eye on the future though and the links you (everybody who chimed in) provided are complied for further reference. So thank you all for the supportive advice and ideas fellers!

:friends:

• 2 weeks later...

I am definitely configuring the jumpers on the hard drives wrongly. I now have two 80gb drives that are showing up as 33gb after fitting them. I've set the jumpers as per the old dead unit. I tried leaving off the 2nd block but then the drive is not recognised/usable.

Its not because of the files loaded after initialization. They are quite small. Even the replacement m/c displays more disc space, and thats only got a 40gb drive in it. 

The replacement m/c has a problem with master volume control. It fluctuates up & down. Its actually weird! Changing volume without me touching anything. Better finish off loading those loop phrases onto the old m/c (its takes hours. I'm only half way through).

The master/slave jumpers on the HDD are the only jumper settings I can think of that might interfere  with normal operation. Could the OS possibly be reconfigured to 'see' more memory? Was your old HDD larger? If so, maybe it had a different jumper arrangement.

There is also a possibility that the old drives were partitioned and won't allow you to see any more memory. If the 80gb drive was partitioned as a 'C' drive and the partition is small this would explain it. If this is the case the drive needs to be reformatted. 

I forget if the BR had a slider type volume control? Those can get dust in them between the wiper and coil. Sometimes simply working them a bit gets the dust out, or there are cleaners for that.

15 hours ago, starise said:

The master/slave jumpers on the HDD are the only jumper settings I can think of that might interfere  with normal operation. Could the OS possibly be reconfigured to 'see' more memory? Was your old HDD larger? If so, maybe it had a different jumper arrangement.

There is also a possibility that the old drives were partitioned and won't allow you to see any more memory. If the 80gb drive was partitioned as a 'C' drive and the partition is small this would explain it. If this is the case the drive needs to be reformatted.

I may have it figured out now. It seems that the different manufacturers use different jumpers to the same end. So by using the Hitachi settings on a Seagate, it wont be configured the same way.

The original Hitachi used 2 jumpers for 'CABLE SELECT'. But now it seems that Seagate uses 1 jumper for CABLE SELECT. I have a Maxtor in there at the moment, so I dont know how that works, but it may be the same as Seagate (though the pins are in reverse order!) as it is being recognised the same way.

The original Hitachi is 80gb (this is the maximum usable size, and needs to be in at least 2 x 40gb partitions).

Both the Seagate & Maxtor are 80gb. At first I partitioned them for 40gb x 2, but they both came out as 16509.4mb x 2. Then I reformated them and removed the partition and they came out as 33019.3mb.

research shows that Maxtor STYLE 'A' shows my settings as 'Cylinder Limitation position' instead as Cable Select. After I have finished with the Maxtor I will put the Seagate back in with the single jumper in the 'new' position. That wont be for quite a while yet.

I just expect everything to be simple & standardised. Wishful thinking I suppose!

I'm glad that you figured out what some of the issues were, It can certainly be frustrating to yet it all sorted. I know you'll get it fixed. The HDD manufacturers could have made it a lot easier if they would standardize things some. It seems you've come much further than you need to go.

• 2 weeks later...

These 2 short songs (they share the same tune) are the first to be created using the replacement BR1600.

The rescued version of part #2 (now known as the 'calamity version') has now been removed from soundcloud, though I like it still. It was not quite finished but had a gentler mood and feel. It also had the better vocal.

Link to ShowCase:

Congrats on the successful saving of those files, and in making another machine functional!!

Archived