• Announcements

• Songstuff

New Chat App   06/02/2017

We have a new chat app available. You will need to sign up for it. You can pick up the invite link at the top of your member hub page:   http://forums.songstuff.com/member/hub/   Remember to use your Songstuff registered email and user name when you sign up! Using the invite link will automatically add you to the Songstuff chat channel.

33 posts in this topic

Hey folks, here is my latest tune. If you have a sweet tooth for progrock, this may be some ear candy for you. If not, still tell me what you think. I could especially use some critical ears on mix/EQ/etc.

This was a challenging tune with lots of parts. Songform: I A B C A B C D E F C

I started referring to this song as my triple-niner because, in addition to bass and drums, it has exactly 9 guitar tracks, 9 synth tracks, and 9 vocal tracks. B)

GONE

Running around with your head in the clouds
You've lost your way
Hoping to find that secret path to your golden age
Trying to follow the tracks that you found
To lead you back to hallowed ground
But they're gone
They've washed away
Gone …
Lost in yesterday
Gone …

Leave the past behind
Life is moving on
Tomorrow turns into yesterday
Gone, gone, gone

Hedging your bets and making plans
You don't know how and you don't know when
You might get a second try
To find those things you'd left behind
But they're gone
They've passed away
Gone . . .
Like a shadow's fate
Gone . . .

Leave the past behind
Time is moving on
Gone, gone, gone

Where do you go from here?

Leave the past behind
Life is moving on
Gone, gone, gone

Edited by TCgypsy
2 people like this

Not familiar with the genre but liked the song.

One little remark. I think there's a lot, maybe even too much going on at 1:30 when you start:

3 hours ago, TCgypsy said:

Leave the past behind
Time is moving on
Gone, gone, gone

I don't know why but your song is pretty 'relaxing' to me and at this moment with the synths and guitars going at the same point it feels off.

Hope this helps a bit!

1 person likes this

I think the mix sounds really good.  If there was any crit I could provide, it would be that I personally think this song could sound a lot more powerful.  As it stands, "relaxing" is a pretty decent description of the feel, and it just seemed to me that there were sections that wanted to be really rocking out a little more than they are.  Louder guitars, etc.  All depends on what feel you were really going for, though.

2 people like this

TC - now this is definitely ProgRock - has hints of Fleetwood Mac/Genesis and a bit of Floyd/Supertramp and Yes going on as well.

I think this is a really good track, like the instrumentation and your vocals. Your guitar playing is excellent and all the different parts and sounds really make the track stand out.

My only nit and similar to Cutaia - it felt like it could be a bit wider, more oomph to the mix - I know it is stereo, but it kind of felt mono as it didn't seem as wide and in your face as a ProgRock song would be ('if you know what I mean).

Cool track though - took me right back.

1 person likes this

On 2/12/2017 at 9:51 AM, TheSylentType said:

Not familiar with the genre but liked the song.

One little remark. I think there's a lot, maybe even too much going on at 1:30 when you start:

I don't know why but your song is pretty 'relaxing' to me and at this moment with the synths and guitars going at the same point it feels off.

Hope this helps a bit!

Glad you liked the song :) I can't cut anything back at 1:30; there is only left and right guitar + left and right synth at that point (other than the vocals, of course).

Not sure what is "off" about it. You would have to be more specific in order for me to address this.

19 hours ago, cutaia said:

I think the mix sounds really good.  If there was any crit I could provide, it would be that I personally think this song could sound a lot more powerful.  As it stands, "relaxing" is a pretty decent description of the feel, and it just seemed to me that there were sections that wanted to be really rocking out a little more than they are.  Louder guitars, etc.  All depends on what feel you were really going for, though.

Thanks. I updated the mix with a bit more power. Let me know what you think.

7 hours ago, Richard Tracey said:

TC - now this is definitely ProgRock - has hints of Fleetwood Mac/Genesis and a bit of Floyd/Supertramp and Yes going on as well.

I think this is a really good track, like the instrumentation and your vocals. Your guitar playing is excellent and all the different parts and sounds really make the track stand out.

My only nit and similar to Cutaia - it felt like it could be a bit wider, more oomph to the mix - I know it is stereo, but it kind of felt mono as it didn't seem as wide and in your face as a ProgRock song would be ('if you know what I mean).

Cool track though - took me right back.

Thanks, Richard. I am glad you appreciated this tune; it's not going to be everyone's cup of tea. I updated the mix with your (and cutaia's) suggestion including a wider stereo image. Let me know what you think.

Updated mix above!

Thanks for the listens and comments, as always.

Peace,

TC

As I've re listened a few times the part it felt 'off' for me is the moment the synth kicks in.

I think the tunes goes a bit too high.

Though it might just be my taste in music, I normally listen to jazz or hip hop genres.

Sounds good.  I still think your guitars on the C-section could be a little bit harder, though, rather than the emphasis being so much on the synth.  But that may be coming down to personal taste at this point.

7 minutes ago, TheSylentType said:

As I've re listened a few times the part it felt 'off' for me is the moment the synth kicks in.

I think the tunes goes a bit too high.

Though it might just be my taste in music, I normally listen to jazz or hip hop genres.

Check out the updated mix.

Peace,

TC

1 person likes this

On 2/13/2017 at 5:13 PM, cutaia said:

Sounds good.  I still think your guitars on the C-section could be a little bit harder, though, rather than the emphasis being so much on the synth.  But that may be coming down to personal taste at this point.

Good to know that I am headed in the right direction. I made some more tweaks to blend the synths in more in the C section.

On 2/13/2017 at 5:19 PM, TheSylentType said:

Yeah it felt better! Feels good man.

Cool. This is why I like fresh ears on this stuff. I become a bit ear blind after working on a tune for awhile. There is yet another mix tweak in the same general direction as you guys have been pointing me.

--------------------------

Thanks guys, this was a big help.

Peace,

TC

Really nice song well produced. My only nit is I would have liked the vocal to be louder in the mix

1 person likes this

Wow. That sounded awesome! Looks like you've been helped already so I'll just say, I admire your rock n roll, skillz! The production/mix sounded great, too! :)

Ken

1 person likes this

Man I really like this song. I hadn't heard the previous versions but for me, with the style, it's rocking just enough. My only very small nit is with the lines "Tomorrow turns into yesterday." It's the only point of the tune where the vocals stood out as not super smooth and cool. Maybe saying something like "Tomorrow slips to yesterday" would give that line a little more breathing room and gel just a tad better. Other than that, I dig it.

Randy

1 person likes this

I don't listen to this kind of music a lot but I liked this one. Something that took maybe too much of my attention was the beat. To my ear the drums were maybe a bit too complex. Would have preferred at least a steady snare. Other than that, very solid and catchy. Would fit to some soap operas intro. :)

1 person likes this

Hey there Gypsey..........nice and free moving melody. Like the cool guitar lead / rhythm. Good guitar playing

Good performances, all around. Like the song, man!

A nice feel good song.

-Tom

1 person likes this

I think this one is solid TC,  It's complex, but you made it flow smoothly.  It's not a genre I normally go for, but I would definitely make room in a playlist for it.

1 person likes this

On 2/16/2017 at 11:50 AM, daryl1968 said:

Really nice song well produced. My only nit is I would have liked the vocal to be louder in the mix

Thanks, Daryl. I felt the vocals were too loud! Well, I guess they really weren't too loud after all.

On 2/17/2017 at 8:42 AM, ImKeN said:

Wow. That sounded awesome! Looks like you've been helped already so I'll just say, I admire your rock n roll, skillz! The production/mix sounded great, too! :)

Ken

Thanks, Ken. I appreciate the props.

On 2/17/2017 at 9:33 AM, Just1L said:

Man I really like this song. I hadn't heard the previous versions but for me, with the style, it's rocking just enough. My only very small nit is with the lines "Tomorrow turns into yesterday." It's the only point of the tune where the vocals stood out as not super smooth and cool. Maybe saying something like "Tomorrow slips to yesterday" would give that line a little more breathing room and gel just a tad better. Other than that, I dig it.

Randy

Thanks, Randy. That is a great idea on the lyric! I don't know why I didn't think of it. "Tomorrow slips into yesterday" (instead of 'turns') - a definite improvement which fits the song even better.

-----------------------

As always, I appreciate the listens and comments. Thanks, guys.

Peace,

TC

1 person likes this

Wow!  I really like this song.  I love all the fun sections.  That chorus really leaves a nice impact, the way the "gone's" go up along with all those vocals is super empowering.  Nice guitars too!  I'm a queen fan though so this song appeals to me anyway :D 

The only thing I would say is working on the levels and reverb.  I'm no mixing engineer, but working on finding a sweet spot between just enough reverb to give it that stadium quality, but maintaining integrity of the pure guitar sounds with their own sparkle so they have the right impact is good to work on and will make it more pleasant :). I've also seen it where some reverb can be added in mastering too, so it might not all have to be done in mixing :)   Really good start!

1 person likes this

On 2/18/2017 at 5:21 PM, Utopia said:

I don't listen to this kind of music a lot but I liked this one. Something that took maybe too much of my attention was the beat. To my ear the drums were maybe a bit too complex. Would have preferred at least a steady snare. Other than that, very solid and catchy. Would fit to some soap operas intro. :)

Thanks. I certainly pushed the envelope rhythmically with this one. I wanted to do something intricate while still retaining a bit of 'pop' flavor. I don't expect this has any commercial appeal but it was fun to do.

On 2/20/2017 at 5:57 PM, JH Michaels said:

I think this one is solid TC,  It's complex, but you made it flow smoothly.  It's not a genre I normally go for, but I would definitely make room in a playlist for it.

Thanks, JH. This was a challenging song to do and I even got to learn slap bass for this one. Luckily, the slap part was short enough I didn't have time to injure myself!

On 2/20/2017 at 0:19 AM, IronKnee said:

Hey there Gypsey..........nice and free moving melody. Like the cool guitar lead / rhythm. Good guitar playing

Good performances, all around. Like the song, man!

A nice feel good song.

-Tom

Thanks, Tom. I appreciate the props. The melody strays off the beaten path a wee bit in the chorus but I think I limited the 'oddness' enough to keep it in the ballpark. In any case, it was fun stretching my legs on this one.

--------------------

Thanks for the listens and comments.

Peace,

TC

On 2/22/2017 at 8:53 PM, Teresa Anderson said:

Wow!  I really like this song.  I love all the fun sections.  That chorus really leaves a nice impact, the way the "gone's" go up along with all those vocals is super empowering.  Nice guitars too!  I'm a queen fan though so this song appeals to me anyway :D 

The only thing I would say is working on the levels and reverb.  I'm no mixing engineer, but working on finding a sweet spot between just enough reverb to give it that stadium quality, but maintaining integrity of the pure guitar sounds with their own sparkle so they have the right impact is good to work on and will make it more pleasant :). I've also seen it where some reverb can be added in mastering too, so it might not all have to be done in mixing :)   Really good start!

Thanks, Teresa, I'm glad you like it. Guitars are my thing, and Queen (Brian May!) was an awesome band.

I will come back to this tune after a bit and see if I can improve the mix, and effects.

I appreciate the listen and comments.

Peace,

TC

1 person likes this

Hey TCgypsy, fellow Virginian here! Really like your track, it has a very relaxing vibe, but there are a few parts that I feel try to stray away from this chill vibe and its a little "confusing". I also definitely feel an 80's vibe at times, which I personally like but not sure if that was what you were going for :) 

1 person likes this

I like prog rock. This is like prog rock with a hint of retro in it. I'm mainly referring to the harmonies. Nice sounding and tight especially considering that you used 9 vox tracks. 

The mix sounds like it's from that era too. Present and clear yet not too hyped. Did you slightly cut the 5k region? It doesn't have a sharp edge very balanced mix, good blend of parts..

Timing is very tight. Great message in the song, well selected lyrics arrangement. You have a lot of patience to stick with a song this long and make small improvements to it as you go. The results have paid off! 

1 person likes this

i love how the beat drops in, i wish it had more of an echo after it. i loved the instrumental more then the singing

On 3/2/2017 at 7:58 PM, brycebad said:

Hey TCgypsy, fellow Virginian here! Really like your track, it has a very relaxing vibe, but there are a few parts that I feel try to stray away from this chill vibe and its a little "confusing". I also definitely feel an 80's vibe at times, which I personally like but not sure if that was what you were going for :) 

Thanks, Bryce. What part of Virginia? I wanted to stretch my legs on this tune and offer up some surprises. It definitely has a bit of a retro thing going (late 70s - 90s). I honestly don't think about those things but I guess the music I love is reflected in my own compositions.

On 3/3/2017 at 2:32 PM, starise said:

I like prog rock. This is like prog rock with a hint of retro in it. I'm mainly referring to the harmonies. Nice sounding and tight especially considering that you used 9 vox tracks. 

The mix sounds like it's from that era too. Present and clear yet not too hyped. Did you slightly cut the 5k region? It doesn't have a sharp edge very balanced mix, good blend of parts..

Timing is very tight. Great message in the song, well selected lyrics arrangement. You have a lot of patience to stick with a song this long and make small improvements to it as you go. The results have paid off! 

Thanks, I'm glad you liked it. This was challenging but a lot of fun to do. No, I didn't EQ the final mix at all but I would have to check and see if I cut 1 dB (which I sometimes do) out of that range when I mastered it. I don't think I did on this tune. The timing was tricky in places but I think it flows pretty well given the complexity in the rhythm. I appreciate the props :)

On 3/3/2017 at 2:51 PM, ALOPRODUCTIONZ said:

i love how the beat drops in, i wish it had more of an echo after it. i loved the instrumental more then the singing

Hmmm, I didn't think about using echo on the beat itself; it might compliment the echo on the guitar riff - something to consider. Singing is a struggle for me, I am more of a guitarist so I am not surprised there!

--------------

Thanks for the listens and comments - much appreciated.

Peace,

TC

I'm liking the new mix!  I think it sounds more balanced and less in your face.  I think the song could use a little more kick to it though.  That may not be a mixing thing either-- although sadly I lack knowledge in this area, but maybe even the settings you use when recording the distorted guitars and base, or even the amp sound your using could make it a little more oomph sounding?  Or making the base sound a more boomy sound- I do think this song would benefit from a fat and slightly prominent base to drive it a bit.  Just some food for thought :) I do think it is sounding more balanced though.

1 person likes this

4 hours ago, Teresa Anderson said:

I'm liking the new mix!  I think it sounds more balanced and less in your face.  I think the song could use a little more kick to it though.  That may not be a mixing thing either-- although sadly I lack knowledge in this area, but maybe even the settings you use when recording the distorted guitars and base, or even the amp sound your using could make it a little more oomph sounding?  Or making the base sound a more boomy sound- I do think this song would benefit from a fat and slightly prominent base to drive it a bit.  Just some food for thought :) I do think it is sounding more balanced though.

Thanks Teresa. I am not sure what to do to make this kick more, I left a lot of dynamics in it, and make the drums pretty punchy. I think the bass could sound a bit 'bigger' so I hear that and do agree with you there. I will certainly take this into consideration when I come back to the song in a few weeks.

Peace,

TC

1 person likes this

Sounds great to me. Really good talents displayed here. Definitely has a Yes feel for me. 

Way to stick with it mix wise (though I didn't hear the earlier versions)

Excellent work!

Ricky

1 person likes this

Hey, TC - this sounds much better and has a lot more depth, you really hear it in the chorus. Still find this a really cool track, but my only nit now is the sound of the guitar at the beginning of the track, it sounds quite distorted until all the other instruments kick in. It detracts from what is a great progrock song. Would sit nicely up there with some of the best.

1 person likes this

Hi TC... liked the song.. and its easy-breazy feel. If that's the way you wanted it to be conveyed, it's cool. Otherwise, I feel the drums can be a little louder/stronger to give some more power to the song. Currently, to my ears, the guitar is the dominating acoustic. I also feel that vocals can be made louder/stronger, with a special punch when you sing "gone gone gone"... I can kind of picture retro commercials where the punchline is sung with a repetitive rhythm and minimal instrumentals (If you can picture what I mean :) )... it might just work with the mood of the song :)

1 person likes this

On 3/19/2017 at 1:48 AM, Ricky Layne said:

Sounds great to me. Really good talents displayed here. Definitely has a Yes feel for me. 

Way to stick with it mix wise (though I didn't hear the earlier versions)

Excellent work!

Ricky

Thanks Ricky. I am a big fan of Yes, and appreciate the comparison. Yeah, I got a lot of useful help here early on to help me hone the mix. Some of the folks here have good ears.

On 3/19/2017 at 7:12 AM, Richard Tracey said:

Hey, TC - this sounds much better and has a lot more depth, you really hear it in the chorus. Still find this a really cool track, but my only nit now is the sound of the guitar at the beginning of the track, it sounds quite distorted until all the other instruments kick in. It detracts from what is a great progrock song. Would sit nicely up there with some of the best.

Thanks, Richard. I wanted the intro guitar part to be clean but rich in harmonics; it is a bit dirtier than I had intended so I do agree with you on that critique. Thanks for the kudos!

On 3/21/2017 at 2:54 PM, Sreyashi Mukherjee said:

Hi TC... liked the song.. and its easy-breazy feel. If that's the way you wanted it to be conveyed, it's cool. Otherwise, I feel the drums can be a little louder/stronger to give some more power to the song. Currently, to my ears, the guitar is the dominating acoustic. I also feel that vocals can be made louder/stronger, with a special punch when you sing "gone gone gone"... I can kind of picture retro commercials where the punchline is sung with a repetitive rhythm and minimal instrumentals (If you can picture what I mean :) )... it might just work with the mood of the song :)

Thanks; I am glad you liked the tune.  The drums are mixed pretty hot in this track; I am not sure I should mix them hotter. Maybe a tad more power in the toms would work, I don't know. I am never happy with my vocals, and although I disagree with you on the volume suggestion, I do think they could be stronger. I don't know how much more of a punch I could deliver in the "gone gone gone" part but I will try to hear what you are saying next time I listen to the song.

--------------------------------------

As always, I appreciate the listens, critiques, and suggestions.

Peace,

TC