daryl1968

I'm Not the Bad Guy

38 posts in this topic

Hi folks

Here's a new song that I wrote and recorded.

Nits and crits welcome. 

I'm Not the Bad Guy
Written and performed by Staypress

V1
I'm sick of saying sorry for things I did not do
I'm tired of building bridges so I can get to you
V2
I feel like I've been branded a monster among men
I think I'll build a time machine and put it right again.
Ch
I'll admit your jealousy didn't bring out the best in me
But I'm not the bad guy
i don't deny I lost my cool, being made to feel a fool
But I'm not the bad guy
V3
I'm tired of feeling guilty for things I should have done
I'm sick of being sorry for fights I never won
Ch
Middle bit
I'd be the first to admit I was wrong
If you'd allow me to talk that long
The thought of you was heavenly, reality was hell
Who's the guilty party? You know damn well
Ch to end

2 people like this

I dig it, it sounds well recorded and well produced to me. Good chorus lift, not sure if the tempo increases there or if just the music gets a little bit livelier, but I like it. I can hear a bit of a tuning artifact/glitch on the first "I'm" on the chorus, and maybe a click/pop on the lead vocal. I'm stretching for nits here, but it might be worth fixing since it's on a very important part of the song. Good work!

Another cool song! Great contrast between the verse and chorus, the chorus was very catchy! The only crit I have is the bridge: I thought the arrangement lacked contrast and sounded like a verse?

Great stuff,

Ken

Great chorus, great vibe!

Well recorded and mixed as well, though I'd maybe like it to be a bit more edgy and to have more of a groove (for lack of a better word). The drums and bass combo sounds ever so slightly 'drum computer' to my ears and could do with more of a live feel to match the attitude of the lyrics.

Other than that: a thoroughly enjoyable listen!

1 person likes this

Daryl - after your last couple of songs, I was looking forward to listening to this one and I am so glad I did. Very catchy, that chorus is really cool. The whole song has a kind of Ska feel to it, but like mentioned by others, I think the song is let down by the bridge. You have a great start, cracking verse, awesome chorus (so catchy) and then the bridge... it doesn't do anything for me, sorry. I think this could be your best song, if you can do something with the bridge. In fact I think you could easily release this and the last two songs and they would compliment each other on an EP and I would buy it.

Hey bud,

Pretty cool song. Like the whole  super pop vibe. The lyrics are great and the singing is spot on.

I felt a bit lost during the c part. And maybe some more backing vocals would create a thicker sound.

Best of luck

On 2/15/2017 at 11:58 PM, chumpy said:

I dig it, it sounds well recorded and well produced to me. Good chorus lift, not sure if the tempo increases there or if just the music gets a little bit livelier, but I like it. I can hear a bit of a tuning artifact/glitch on the first "I'm" on the chorus, and maybe a click/pop on the lead vocal. I'm stretching for nits here, but it might be worth fixing since it's on a very important part of the song. Good work!

Thanks so much.

I'll listen for that glitch. 

Quirky love gone bad song with a hint of Peter Gabriel.

I like the overall vibe, and I especially like the change into the chorus (the first one particularly). The music has a good feel with some interesting changes to shape the tune.

I would have liked less effects (vocal) on the verses so that the vocals sound more intimate. This would provide a nice contrast to the production in the chorus. In particular, the auto-tuning coupled with the ambient space you use on the verse seems a tad overdone, imo.

Cool tune - I liked it!

Peace,

TC

Edited by TCgypsy

On 2/16/2017 at 6:21 AM, ImKeN said:

Another cool song! Great contrast between the verse and chorus, the chorus was very catchy! The only crit I have is the bridge: I thought the arrangement lacked contrast and sounded like a verse?

Great stuff,

Ken

Thanks a lot Ken. 

Yeah, I'm going to look at the bridge. 

I think the current iteration of vocals works...but can't help but think that some less processed vocals would sound really great on this song.  The music is so crisp, and the vocals just seem like they could stand out even better if they were a little dryer.

But hey, the song itself is really cool.  I suppose you could change the bridge up more, but I personally thought it sounded like it's own section.

1 person likes this

On 2/16/2017 at 11:05 AM, GraffitiByNumbers said:

Great chorus, great vibe!

Well recorded and mixed as well, though I'd maybe like it to be a bit more edgy and to have more of a groove (for lack of a better word). The drums and bass combo sounds ever so slightly 'drum computer' to my ears and could do with more of a live feel to match the attitude of the lyrics.

Other than that: a thoroughly enjoyable listen!

Thanks for the listen and suggestions. I really appreciate it. 

I like what you do Daryl and I look forward to your stuff.....love the lyrics in this.  It's a bit too synth-y..(new word) for me but that's purely a personal thing.  nice job.

I absolutely loved this! Very well made. Love the pacing and the vibe, the sound. Fun, wry, and intelligent. Okay, I agree with the others about the bridge, but I honestly think if you did something as simple as hesitating before you went into it, it would really help. The ending, though, to me feels wrong. I really feel it would be better to end with an emphatic "I'm not the bad guy," somehow. I am so glad I got the chance to listen to this.

On 2/16/2017 at 5:23 PM, Richard Tracey said:

Daryl - after your last couple of songs, I was looking forward to listening to this one and I am so glad I did. Very catchy, that chorus is really cool. The whole song has a kind of Ska feel to it, but like mentioned by others, I think the song is let down by the bridge. You have a great start, cracking verse, awesome chorus (so catchy) and then the bridge... it doesn't do anything for me, sorry. I think this could be your best song, if you can do something with the bridge. In fact I think you could easily release this and the last two songs and they would compliment each other on an EP and I would buy it.

Thanks Richard. I'll sort out that pesky bridge and sell you that EP. 

5 hours ago, daryl1968 said:

Thanks Richard. I'll sort out that pesky bridge and sell you that EP. 

Thats a deal :D

On 2/17/2017 at 2:06 AM, Leo said:

Hey bud,

Pretty cool song. Like the whole  super pop vibe. The lyrics are great and the singing is spot on.

I felt a bit lost during the c part. And maybe some more backing vocals would create a thicker sound.

Best of luck

Thanks for the listen and suggestions Leo. 

On 2/17/2017 at 2:34 PM, TCgypsy said:

Quirky love gone bad song with a hint of Peter Gabriel.

I like the overall vibe, and I especially like the change into the chorus (the first one particularly). The music has a good feel with some interesting changes to shape the tune.

I would have liked less effects (vocal) on the verses so that the vocals sound more intimate. This would provide a nice contrast to the production in the chorus. In particular, the auto-tuning coupled with the ambient space you use on the verse seems a tad overdone, imo.

Cool tune - I liked it!

Peace,

TC

Thanks for the listen and suggestions TC. I really appreciate it. 

FWIW, this chorus has been stuck in my head for a week. That NEVER happens. :)

Really cool song...

Your voice works very well with this melody...

The passage at 0:40 is really nice, catchy and so good...

Cool singing and cool piece!

On 2/18/2017 at 11:24 AM, cutaia said:

I think the current iteration of vocals works...but can't help but think that some less processed vocals would sound really great on this song.  The music is so crisp, and the vocals just seem like they could stand out even better if they were a little dryer.

But hey, the song itself is really cool.  I suppose you could change the bridge up more, but I personally thought it sounded like it's own section.

Thanks Cutaia - I appreciate it

On 2/20/2017 at 6:05 PM, JH Michaels said:

I like what you do Daryl and I look forward to your stuff.....love the lyrics in this.  It's a bit too synth-y..(new word) for me but that's purely a personal thing.  nice job.

Thanks for the listen JH

I think the lyrics are very catchy, I think like others have quoted it could do with the level changing up a little at the chorus or the bridge. But I can feel a bit of Madness going on in there (The band not literally), and that's brilliant.

On 2/22/2017 at 1:04 AM, Steve Mueske said:

I absolutely loved this! Very well made. Love the pacing and the vibe, the sound. Fun, wry, and intelligent. Okay, I agree with the others about the bridge, but I honestly think if you did something as simple as hesitating before you went into it, it would really help. The ending, though, to me feels wrong. I really feel it would be better to end with an emphatic "I'm not the bad guy," somehow. I am so glad I got the chance to listen to this.

Thanks so much Steve. 

On 2/28/2017 at 3:52 PM, Steve Mueske said:

FWIW, this chorus has been stuck in my head for a week. That NEVER happens. :)

Mission accomplished :)

I enjoyed it, very well mixed and mastered, I love that bassline as well! 

On 3/2/2017 at 1:13 AM, Matthew76 said:

Really cool song...

Your voice works very well with this melody...

The passage at 0:40 is really nice, catchy and so good...

Cool singing and cool piece!

thanks so much Matthew

On 3/5/2017 at 7:11 PM, Steve Ather said:

I think the lyrics are very catchy, I think like others have quoted it could do with the level changing up a little at the chorus or the bridge. But I can feel a bit of Madness going on in there (The band not literally), and that's brilliant.

Thanks Steve

Hi :)

All the instruments fitted really well together and the vocals are nice and catchy (maybe a bit too processed?)! I really liked it about 23 seconds in when that other instrument (keyboard?) came in.

One little thing that bothered me was 1 minute in just after "I'm not the bad guy" and everything stops. This was really nice but when it came back in there was a bass note before everything else. Just seemed a bit out of place to my ears.

Sounds fabulous. Great vibes from the start. Nothing really to chew at ... the mix is great and so are the arrangements. This should be on the radio my friend ! 

Congrats !

Cheers

On 3/9/2017 at 7:29 PM, calumt17 said:

I enjoyed it, very well mixed and mastered, I love that bassline as well! 

Thanks a lot