MonoStone

mix
Distant Cars UPDATED WITH SHREYASI...and a new mix

48 posts in this topic

nearly perfect.. but like the others said, the end it very abrupt. what if you ended with some humming or "oo's" or something?

Posted (edited)

3 hours ago, MonoStone said:

Hi Ken, I've tried to balance that sound in the new version. It's a sound I like but I felt like it was too much in one ear... 

I think you adjusted it quite nicely, Dek. In my opinion, it sounds more defined and controlled and part of the ambience now.

Love the slide in the bridge, it's very under-water sounding and reminds me of the time I swam with whales. It kind of takes me away from where you recorded this to a completely different environment. 

And for the record, I don't find any issue with the ending. I think it plays off well with, "it won't be long..." Just my taste I guess.

It's a very strong song, Dek. I like it a lot.

Ken

Edited by ImKeN

8 minutes ago, ImKeN said:

And for the record, I don't find any issue with the ending. I think it plays off well with, "it won't be long..." Just my taste I gues

Well that's exactly how I felt about it. So that's two of us anyway ;) 

1 person likes this

17 minutes ago, Jenn said:

nearly perfect.. but like the others said, the end it very abrupt. what if you ended with some humming or "oo's" or something?

Dunno Jenn, as I said to Ken... I like that ending, I just wanted to leave it after 'it won't be long'... I'm not gonna get arty farty up my own arse with explanation, but that just works for me (until I change my mind lol) :) 

1 person likes this

4 hours ago, MonoStone said:

Hey Randy, Very glad you like it. I have adjusted the vocal level a touch. And added some bass and other subtle bits. If you get chance please let me know how that works for you?

To me the vocals still felt a tad too loud when they come in. Again, it does start working better after the first few lines. Maybe if you upped the volume a little on the intro, as opposed to turning the volume of the vocals down, it wouldn't feel that way. 

As far as the ending goes, I don't mind how it stops but I have a question. I have heard before ending a song on a note that makes a person want to keep going with it, and listen again, rather than having more of a "punctuation mark" type ending. Is that what you're going for? If so, it works as the song doesn't quite feel like it has that "ending" that some do. When I listened to it a few times my thought was the way you sing that first "It won't be long" should be swapped with the way you sing it the very last time. Ending on the higher note.

Regardless, it's a great tune.

Dek - listened to the new version - nice stereo separation on this one, but I still feel the vocal is too loud at the beginning. At the 1 minute mark it is fine as a louder guitar comes in and then for the rest of the song the vocal feels at the right level. As mentioned above, you could raise the level of the guitars at the beginning to compensate, so you don't have to lower the vocal.

The bass blends into the background, but you can still feel there is a lower end to the song, so that feels okay. If you want more of a bass sound, it may need to raised volume wise, or EQ'd for the lower end. I think it feels fine the way it is though.

I'm in the camp that likes the end and the way it trails off into nothing. Good job.

I do like this a lot. Would probably have liked "won't be long" to be repeated just once more, to make the ending a little less abrupt.

Posted (edited)

I like the song and arrangement a lot.  I always like your songs, and while we often have different tastes when it comes to mixing, I can enjoy listening to your stuff - until this one, Man.  This mix was not an enjoyable listen for me, and I had to turn it way down to tolerate the boomy assault on my ears.  The only thing you didn't drown with reverb were the birds. ;) But, that's nothing new for you either.  What's different with this is that it's so LOUD - and it's trying to be a mellow song.   I'm usually complaining that your vocals aren't loud enough in the mix.  Here, I think they're too loud - much too loud - even at low overall volume they jump out as too loud to me.  Everything sounds loud, but especially the vocals.

Regarding the reverb.  I like it on the vocal - All Treetops?  But, for me, you put much too much of it on the acoustics, and that makes the mix sound really dated to me.  I hate to say it, but . . . it's a more Air Supply guitar sound than even Air Supply had. <ducking>  Acoustics have their own natural reverb.  For me, this would sound worlds better if the acoustics didn't have so much reverb on them.  Given there's so much other reverb in the mix elsewhere, the mix doesn't have much internal contrast for me, and that ton-o--reverb with little contrast to it, together with how loud everything sounds to me with the vocals even more loud, makes the mix sound really boomy to me overall.  

I know you're going to make me pay for the Air Supply crack.  Maybe "I'm all out of love," and should have stayed retired from critiquing.  <still ducking>  :)

Edited by HoboSage
1 person likes this

14 hours ago, Just1L said:

To me the vocals still felt a tad too loud when they come in. Again, it does start working better after the first few lines. Maybe if you upped the volume a little on the intro, as opposed to turning the volume of the vocals down, it wouldn't feel that way. 

As far as the ending goes, I don't mind how it stops but I have a question. I have heard before ending a song on a note that makes a person want to keep going with it, and listen again, rather than having more of a "punctuation mark" type ending. Is that what you're going for? If so, it works as the song doesn't quite feel like it has that "ending" that some do. When I listened to it a few times my thought was the way you sing that first "It won't be long" should be swapped with the way you sing it the very last time. Ending on the higher note.

Regardless, it's a great tune.

13 hours ago, Richard Tracey said:

Dek - listened to the new version - nice stereo separation on this one, but I still feel the vocal is too loud at the beginning. At the 1 minute mark it is fine as a louder guitar comes in and then for the rest of the song the vocal feels at the right level. As mentioned above, you could raise the level of the guitars at the beginning to compensate, so you don't have to lower the vocal.

The bass blends into the background, but you can still feel there is a lower end to the song, so that feels okay. If you want more of a bass sound, it may need to raised volume wise, or EQ'd for the lower end. I think it feels fine the way it is though.

I'm in the camp that likes the end and the way it trails off into nothing. Good job.

11 hours ago, Sreyashi Mukherjee said:

I do like this a lot. Would probably have liked "won't be long" to be repeated just once more, to make the ending a little less abrupt.

8 hours ago, HoboSage said:

I like the song and arrangement a lot.  I always like your songs, and while we often have different tastes when it comes to mixing, I can enjoy listening to your stuff - until this one, Man.  This mix was not an enjoyable listen for me, and I had to turn it way down to tolerate the boomy assault on my ears.  The only thing you didn't drown with reverb were the birds. ;) But, that's nothing new for you either.  What's different with this is that it's so LOUD - and it's trying to be a mellow song.   I'm usually complaining that your vocals aren't loud enough in the mix.  Here, I think they're too loud - much too loud - even at low overall volume they jump out as too loud to me.  Everything sounds loud, but especially the vocals.

Regarding the reverb.  I like it on the vocal - All Treetops?  But, for me, you put much too much of it on the acoustics, and that makes the mix sound really dated to me.  I hate to say it, but . . . it's a more Air Supply guitar sound than even Air Supply had. <ducking>  Acoustics have their own natural reverb.  For me, this would sound worlds better if the acoustics didn't have so much reverb on them.  Given there's so much other reverb in the mix elsewhere, the mix doesn't have much internal contrast for me, and that ton-o--reverb with little contrast to it, together with how loud everything sounds to me with the vocals even more loud, makes the mix sound really boomy to me overall.  

I know you're going to make me pay for the Air Supply crack.  Maybe "I'm all out of love," and should have stayed retired from critiquing.  <still ducking>  :)

Thanks all, I'm still glad you all like it. But then along comes....

David, I would love to say 'ah screw you HoboSage I like it the way it is!' ...but sadly, I think you have a point ;)  I will absolutely definitely get you back for the Air Supply crack, but for now I need to address the issue of it being boomy and too saturated in reverb (I never use Tree Tops on vocals btw, I used Film Score in this (often do, but this time I have one nearly dry track and one with totally wet Film Score behind) ). And actually ... no you shouldn't retire...whether I agree or not, I need a sanity check! I do appreciate it!

I might have gone too far with this, but here's a less verby, less boomy version. I'd appreciate your (and everybody's) opinion on it -

https://soundcloud.com/monostone-1/distant-cars08lessverb/s-3fNeZ

Posted (edited)

I wish I had the previous track to compare as you might be trying to trick me - you are an evil trickster - but it sounds a lot better to me.

I think the backing synths and the electric guitar sound which come in for the bridge should be further back as they come right up to the edge of boominess and they drown out the vocal.  

The acoustics sound less wet and sound much better to me now.  I do have a couple of non-reverb-related suggestions regarding them though.  The acoustic panned left plays lower notes than the one panned right, so there's a frequency imbalance - low frequencies left with high frequencies right.  I might try centering the lower-played acoustic, and then alternate the higher-played noodlings left and right to balance out the frequencies coming from the acoustics.  I also think it would also sound really cool if the lower-played acoustic played its broken chords double-time during the bridge, or if you used an appropriately timed subtle left/right echo to create that effect.  I imagine a double-time or echoed acoustic would really enhance the subtle build of energy and work well with the rising crescendos coming from the backing synths during the bridge.  It would also break the monotony of the same picking pattern from that acoustic.

Adding one or more harmonies, espcalliy a higher harmony, could sound awesome.

enjoyed my listen this time.  I guess I wasn't "all out of love" after all. ;)

Edited by HoboSage

2 minutes ago, HoboSage said:

I wish I had the previous track to compare as you might be trying to trick me - you are an evil trickster - but it sounds a lot better to me.

I think the backing synths and the electric guitar sound which come in for the bridge should be further back as they drown out the vocal when they're at their loudest.

The acoustics sound less wet and sound much better to me now.  I do have a couple of non-reverb -related suggestions regarding them though.  The acoustic panned left plays lower notes than the one panned right, so there's a frequency imbalance - low frequencies left with high frequencies right.  I might try centering the lower-played acoustic, and then alternate the higher-played noodlings left and right to balance out the frequencies coming from the acoustics.  I also think it would also sound really cool if the lower-played acoustic played its broken chords double-time during the bridge, or if you used an appropriately timed subtle left/right echo to create that effect.  You could then alternate the pan of the electric guitar slides during the bridge.  I imagine a double-time or echoed acoustic would really enhance the subtle build of energy and work well with the rising crescendos coming from the backing synths during the bridge.  It would also break the monotony of the same picking pattern from that acoustic.

enjoyed my listen this time.  I guess I wasn't "all out of love" after all. ;)

Previous track link is on the op still mate. Massive difference ...no tricks ;)

I added a harmonies during the bridge suggestion.  Would sound damn sweet.

8 minutes ago, HoboSage said:

I added a harmonies during the bridge suggestion.  Would sound damn sweet.

Hmmm maybe. There is a bit of one already on the fully wet verb backing ... but only at the end of the bridge.

Maybe could use a soulful female backing vocal

20 hours ago, Sreyashi Mukherjee said:

Maybe could use a soulful female backing vocal....Hint hint.... :)

58 minutes ago, MonoStone said:

Maybe could use a soulful female backing vocal....Hint hint.... :)

LOL... Ask ask (I'm game) :D

12 minutes ago, Sreyashi Mukherjee said:

Hmu with that too

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, Sreyashi Mukherjee said:

1 hour ago, Jenn said:

Hmu with that too

Great! Go for it both of you.

The words are

Graceful love

Painful love

In the evening glow

It's getting late and the world is waiting

Mistakes are made

In the evening glow

Just sing with my vocal but higher...go an octave up or whatever harmony sounds good. Sing two versions... One singing the words tight with my phrasing... And another freestyling whatever melody feels good... You can sing words or ooo ahhh or wail (high wailing) ... Just go for it. :)

Asap please! Crack on! ;)

Oh... Should have said. I'll need your vocal alone without the music and with no effects. 

Thanks for getting involved!!

Edited by MonoStone

beautiful.... at times my right ear felt a little heavy.. but that may just be me