• Announcements

• Songstuff

New Chat App   06/02/2017

We have a new chat app available. You will need to sign up for it. You can pick up the invite link at the top of your member hub page:   http://forums.songstuff.com/member/hub/   Remember to use your Songstuff registered email and user name when you sign up! Using the invite link will automatically add you to the Songstuff chat channel.
Rob Ash

What does it mean to succeed?

Jenn    169

Maybe it's sappy.. but as long as I genuinely feel and understand what I've done at the end of the day, I've succeeded. And I think if anyone was to ever tell me they loved my music, I would die.. RIP me. 

TapperMike    370

A song doesn't stick into a listeners head to make that determination until it's been played for them a few times.  That being said it's the emotive value in performance where the audience feels the musicians believe in the song that makes all the difference.  If the artist doesn't evoke that they are feeling neither will the audience.   This type of energy gets harder and harder to evoke after multiple takes or multiple performances where one isn't reaching the audience and the audience doesn't reach back.

As far as deeper meanings and connecting through your lyrics.  I love this comic for pointing out what the lyrics are actually telling the audience.

There are a vast number of songs that have come through the pipes which if one sat down and read the lyrics they'd have a completely different understanding of the message.

MikeRobinson    146

Who also gifted us with Pachelbel's Rant. (Between the two, "a better piece of practical musical education, you shall not find.")

"]

Edited by MikeRobinson

Jenn    169
On 2/24/2017 at 9:12 AM, Just1L said:

Sounds like you're at Stage 9 of the aspiring songwriter Dave … self pity. I was stuck between there and Stage 10 August - November last year. It sucked.

I'm making this up as I go along so feel free to alter.

Stage1 - Desire

Stage 2 - False Hopes (stays with you until you reach stage 11)

Stage 3 - Determination

Stage 4 - Excitement

Stage 5 - Anticipation

Stage 6 - Quasi-fullfillment

Stage 7 - Emptiness

Stage 8 - Self Doubt

Stage 9 - Self Pity

Stage 10 - Depression (most eventually go from here, back to stage 1)

Stage 11 - Determination Part 2 "Takin it to the next level"

Think I'm forever caught between false hope and self doubt with an aching desire for hope and confidence 

9 hours ago, Jenn said:
On 2/24/2017 at 9:12 AM, Just1L said:

Think I'm forever caught between false hope and self doubt with an aching desire for hope and confidence 

Sounds like some great lyric lines, Jenn!

• Like 1

starise    366

I have decided to make an album. This was never a motivator to me in the past. I don't really have much to loose in doing it and it's something I've never done, so it's a new experience. I have the capability. The only thing really stopping me is me. 

I have done lots of mixing and mastering but never attempted to categorize or put all the things in line that need to happen to launch music on a wide scale for sale to the public.

It'll probably be a lot of trial and error the first time. 

I already have the master mixed and most of the metadata plugged into each song. I ordered ISRC codes. I have album art. It was a pic my wife took that I adjusted and added text to. This is like an obstacle course in getting everything sorted out. I still need to have some hard copies duped and the UPC codes. Once I have all that together I guess I can initiate it all through a vendor who will act as the distributor. CD baby looks like the best bet. 

This is just another area we can attempt to accomplish in. Nothing ventured. Nothing gained. At least I'll know where everything sits. If I make a few bucks on it great! If I don't, it was a nice learning experience.

Edited by starise
  • Like 4

Ray888    158
17 minutes ago, starise said:

I have decided to make an album. This was never a motivator to me in the past. I don't really have much to loose in doing it and it's something I've never done, so it's a new experience. I have the capability. The only thing really stopping me is me. 

I have done lots of mixing and mastering but never attempted to categorize or put all the things in line that need to happen to launch music on a wide scale for sale to the public.

It'll probably be a lot of trial and error the first time. 

I already have the master mixed and most of the metadata plugged into each song. I ordered ISRC codes. I have album art. It was a pic my wife took that I adjusted and added text to. This is like an obstacle course in getting everything sorted out. I still need to have some hard copies duped and the UPC codes. Once I have all that together I guess I can initiate it all through a vendor who will act as the distributor. CD baby looks like the best bet. 

This is just another area we can attempt to accomplish in. Nothing ventured. Nothing gained. At least I'll know where everything sits. If I make a few bucks on it great! If I don't, it was a nice learning experience.

I'm pleased that you have decided to go for it, Nelson Mandela once said "There is no passion to be found playing small – in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living. Yes, I think CD Baby is a good bet. The hard work starts after that because you will need to blog the links to point people in the direction of your music. Otherwise it is a needle in a haystack for people to find. Let me know when you intend to release and I will supply you with some stuff that will help you a lot.

• Like 2

TapperMike    370

You have your work cut out for you on that one Tim

It's good to have goals.  They keep one focused when all else fails.

I'll tell you a funny story.   Recently I decided to shut down famous sounds.  It's something I'd always come back to and rebuild from the ground up.  A portal just for the sake of having something current to keep on my resume.  I had every good intention of following through and cataloging rigs as used on the recordings of famous performers.  I'd done it before with "classic keyboards" and a little with famous guitars.  I'm still doing it for myself with my zoom G1Xon  programming in famous sounds and sharing them.   But there is only so much time in a day and I lack the attention/motivation I've had in previous years.    

Then comes what I think is a godsend.  An industry insider with a lot of clout wants to start up a midi magazine similar to http://www.keyboardmag.com/ but devoted to the wider spectrum of all midi based  controllers, instruments and daw/hosts.  So I poured myself into the project but big shot was dragging along without clear goals for himself or deadlines.   In short I wasted a lot of time before I pulled out.

Then a company approaches me about being an outside evangelist for their product.  Which is how I got my last great paying job.  First as an evangelist then working for the company.   The company in question has plenty of outside evangelists.  They don't need me.  And to be honest they don't need me in marketing or support.   

My point is this.  It's easy to get side tracked.  Right now I'm building up my confidence by busking and... Trying to learn old songs to increase my current repertoire.  With the goal of someday playing coffee shops.  Every night I check the latest posts (which I shouldn't) around my favorite haunts.  Then I seek out songs and try to get the sound right.  It takes more effort not to get sucked into finding a favorite tone for a song that I'll never play live.  I'm getting ADD as I age.

I hope you stay on target with your album and wish you the best of success with it.  The greatest success may be simply finishing it.

• Like 1

Richard Tracey    250

I am also looking to do an album release soon(ish) and have set up a website to promote the music. The website is still a coming soon page, but I will be looking to get the content up once I get back from holiday as work has been hectic recently and I've not had much time for thinking let alone anything else. My plan is to do and instrumentals e.p or album and then one with vocals.

I am not confident enough in my music and ability with getting my vocals right, so will probably look to work with a producer on that side, but the instrumental album might be easier to self-produce with the help of the members on this site and their excellent critique.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained is how I am looking at it. Nothing might happen, but with the billions of people in the world and the type of music I am looking to produce, I know there is a market for it. It might not sell, or might not sell a massive amount, but I am not looking to make a living from this. I am not going to be going out and playing gigs (that could change if I get any kind of offer and I think I could manage it). If I make any money from this, it would go back into my equipment and making music. If I get any kind of positive reviews, I would be over the moon.

I played some of my newer vocal tracks to my mum the other day and apart from the couple of things I already knew (using temp vocals - tweaking the arrangement to make it more dynamic), she thought they were really good and better than I probably think they are. I don't normally let anyone in my family hear them as they normally just tell you want they think you want to hear, but I could see as she was listening how she was feeling listening to them (and it's not her style of music). Apparently my sister had listened to the instrumental stuff I posted on Facebook for feedback last year (didnt comment at the time though) and was raving about how good they were and let her friend listen who thought they were really good as well.

My problem is I don't have the confidence in my music and I put that down to not being trained in any musical instrument (i know that there are tons of people out there having hits who are the same), but I never like anything I do (drawing, writing, music, everything), but I have always had really nice comments about all of these things.

Working with someone who can help push me is probably the way I need to approach this. Once it is done, I will be able to do this myself, but I think I need that initial help.

I have been looking about at producers and even some of the guys in London who have worked with some big names and know that it's going to cost, but I need to work out within myself if the cost is worth it to get the first album done and released (it will be a self-release) and promote it with the right sites etc.

Tim, let me know once you are ready for release, it will be good to hear how the songs sound. Have you been using Izotope?

• Like 3

starise    366

Thanks for you comments Ray888. I do plan to call you soon. I'm down under the weather again with a fever. Soon as I get all back in shape I'll give you a ring.THANK YOU .

Tappermike Thanks ! I had thought it would be like doing my taxes in putting an album out there and it kind of is. Wading through piles of documents and small details. The tricky thing for me was if I wanted to opt for syncronization rights on Youtube and if I wanted them to distribute hard copies. There are many other details but CD Baby takes care of most of it. I had already purchased ISRC codes. These are the codes that identify you and make sure you get paid embedded in the metadata. This is where having the right software can be really helpful.

Studio One 3 has a mastering section that has all kinds of nifty features. One of them being, it lets you add the ISRC codes yourself. You still need to know how to set it all up and make sure track lengths are right etc, but it does things like auto fill the rest of the ISRC's incrementally, so If the last code ended in 81 it will make the next 82 since this is how they do it.. If you had 14 tracks it would append the rest of the numbers. Then there are the different levels you must comply with I mainly used the K system and mastered in K-14 which seemed to be in the ball park for LUFS. It might be much tougher to master say hard rock where you have insane levels. Make the levels too high using compression or limiting and you loose dynamics. Mastering is about much more than how loud it is. I shoot for a good dynamic range in addition to an accepted level.

I already had 14 tracks of acoustic guitar material laying around. It just needed some brushing up, so that part wasn't hard. My wife has a nice camera and she took my cover art. I just propped one of my guitars against a cool looking tree with ivy on it and that was the pic. I then added text. Not as difficult as I had thought it would be.

To get into distribution was way less expensive that I had thought. Less than 100.00 for the pro package. They do a lot for that price including put you on iTunes, Amazon and about a dozen more online players, streamers and sell sites. They also sign you to the PRO of your choice. The pay out is much less for sites like Pandora. You make more money on either single or album downloads. I'm probably making this sound a lot easier than it really is. I most assuredly will be going over a hump or two to get the final result. It is easier and less expensive than I had thought. I've already payed them and launched it. I'm not sure if I did everything exactly right yet though. Live and learn.

Richard, I think a lot of it has to do with the genre and the way the search engines are set up or the music search engines in players. I like Pandora the best so far. If you play one genre and create a station you usually will get similar music. Words mean a lot in this game. The more common the genre, probably the tougher to break in. In the first 6 months on 2017 the largest sales came from Hip Hop and Rap around 25%. I find that hard to believe but it seems to be true.

Don't sell yourself short here. I believe you could do it. Maybe find a niche of some kind. 

I'll let you know when I have a link. I mastered with a few different tools including Izotope Ozone Advanced and some of the things in Studio One. I never use the factory presets. I tend to be ADD too and must keep a focus. For you it might be Make 12 or 14 good tracks that all would make a good album. Master that and go from there. You can upload only one track or a few tracks. I think it helps to have enough for an album IMHO.

Edited by starise
  • Like 1

Richard Tracey    250

CD Baby are doing limited distribution for $29 at the moment instead of $49. Which package did you go for and how long does it last before you need to use it. If I bought it now, could I use it later on when I am ready to release the album?

starise    366

I think you can start a file with them and complete it later. I got in for 89.00 on Pro with a coupon code GETMOREPRO.

Richard Tracey    250
6 hours ago, starise said:

I think you can start a file with them and complete it later. I got in for 89.00 on Pro with a coupon code GETMOREPRO.

Yeah, that's now $69 for a limited time.

starise    366

I paid 20.00 extra for a UPC for the physical copy. 

Here's the link to my page. It isn't totally up everywhere yet.

https://store.cdbaby.com/cd/celticstarise2

Edited by starise

starise    366
On 7/8/2017 at 0:34 AM, TapperMike said:

I'll tell you a funny story.   Recently I decided to shut down famous sounds.  It's something I'd always come back to and rebuild from the ground up.  A portal just for the sake of having something current to keep on my resume.  I had every good intention of following through and cataloging rigs as used on the recordings of famous performers.  I'd done it before with "classic keyboards" and a little with famous guitars.  I'm still doing it for myself with my zoom G1Xon  programming in famous sounds and sharing them.   But there is only so much time in a day and I lack the attention/motivation I've had in previous years.    

Then comes what I think is a godsend.  An industry insider with a lot of clout wants to start up a midi magazine similar to http://www.keyboardmag.com/ but devoted to the wider spectrum of all midi based  controllers, instruments and daw/hosts.  So I poured myself into the project but big shot was dragging along without clear goals for himself or deadlines.   In short I wasted a lot of time before I pulled out.

I can relate to that. I started a podcast music website awhile back and all it has done is cost me  money. I need a push to make it into something. I seriously thought about closing it down but didn't do that yet. Lots of "experts" online who use that as a way to make money. I think probably the best way to make money with articles is posting them as downloads in .pdf or similar. Music tech changes so fast that articles can get old fast.. Most manufacturers cover their gear with plenty of info and technical support if you buy decent gear. If you were to publish a small booklet with detailed explanations of midi and how the midi standard applies now to new gear. In other words a practical guide for the beginner, interconnection between devices, bluetooth midi as it relates to apps and gear ,maybe an advanced user section. If you posted that as a download in a visible place for electronic musicians, you would probably do ok. 

Ray888    158
1 minute ago, starise said:

I can relate to that. I started a podcast music website awhile back and all it has done is cost me  money. I need a push to make it into something. I seriously thought about closing it down but didn't do that yet. Lots of "experts" online who use that as a way to make money. I think probably the best way to make money with articles is posting them as downloads in .pdf or similar. Music tech changes so fast that articles can get old fast.. Most manufacturers cover their gear with plenty of info and technical support if you buy decent gear. If you were to publish a small booklet with detailed explanations of midi and how the midi standard applies now to new gear. In other words a practical guide for the beginner, interconnection between devices, bluetooth midi as it relates to apps and gear ,maybe an advanced user section. If you posted that as a download in a visible place for electronic musicians, you would probably do ok. 

I think that it would be a lost cause Tim because there are so many tutorials available on YouTube about midi and equipment use that when people want to know something it's their first port of call.

starise    366

Maybe so Ray. It would likely still be a needle in a haystack. My main point of reference was something unrelated in subject matter. My wife visits teaching websites where there are .pdf downloads for class projects. As you know some people can really run with something and others not so much. In the example I mentioned some posters there have tens of thousands of downloads, actually making a living at it. Another example would be home projects. I built a porch from scratch. I could document every step involved and sell it as "How To Build A Porch". So I guess I'm thinking a booklet, say, " How To Set Up An Electronic Music Studio" might be tempting to a beginner, especially if it's only .99......or maybe not. I agree Ray, we are in information overload online. The problem is everyone has advice and not all of it is good advice.The beginner needs to learn from someone who knows a thing or two about it.

There are those who gravitate towards self instruction and those who seek instruction materials. For the person who is intent to dig deep online, they probably wouldn't ever need to buy a book. The wisdom is in knowing which information is credible and sorting it out. I think we might have a slight advantage in that when this tech was new so was the internet. Back then only the real experts wrote articles for the most part. Now anyone who can type can be an expert.

• Like 1

Ray888    158
32 minutes ago, starise said:

Maybe so Ray. It would likely still be a needle in a haystack. My main point of reference was something unrelated in subject matter. My wife visits teaching websites where there are .pdf downloads for class projects. As you know some people can really run with something and others not so much. In the example I mentioned some posters there have tens of thousands of downloads, actually making a living at it. Another example would be home projects. I built a porch from scratch. I could document every step involved and sell it as "How To Build A Porch". So I guess I'm thinking a booklet, say, " How To Set Up An Electronic Music Studio" might be tempting to a beginner, especially if it's only .99......or maybe not. I agree Ray, we are in information overload online. The problem is everyone has advice and not all of it is good advice.The beginner needs to learn from someone who knows a thing or two about it.

There are those who gravitate towards self instruction and those who seek instruction materials. For the person who is intent to dig deep online, they probably wouldn't ever need to buy a book. The wisdom is in knowing which information is credible and sorting it out. I think we might have a slight advantage in that when this tech was new so was the internet. Back then only the real experts wrote articles for the most part. Now anyone who can type can be an expert.

Yeah lol, you just gave me a brilliant idea. "How to make a soundproof room for your kids to play in when they are noisy" I bet plenty of parents would go for that one lol. :001_smile:

• Like 1

Rob Ash    476

4 hours ago, starise said:

Here's the link to my page. It isn't totally up everywhere yet.

Some really lovely music there, Tim.

starise    366

Thanks Rob. Much appreciated. I doubt I could rock the way you do. ;) Keep rockin'!

symphonious7    117

IS there even a "top" today?  What I mean is... there are no david bowies or mick jaggers coming out of the music industry these days, there are no Chris Cornell's or Kurt Kobains, what you seem to have is ONE type of star in each genre, split across different artists, who just keep making the same types of things in a different package, (at least to my eyes it seems pretty obvious) This lets me know that to whatever degree, the game is too rigged to be a free thinking mainstream artist.  It's almost like working your butt off to be a parrot in a cage.  There's tons of great underground artists now, but how would we measure if one of them "made it"? 

The way I see it, you can't really "conquer the musical world" like an Elton John or a Billy Joel without having to fit their mold, but you can just stake out your own section of it.  Build it organically, and you could be someone the industry has nothing to do with who still gets over a million views on youtube every time you put out a song you know?  It's just... I dunno I think the days of "climbing the ladder till you become a star" are over, you either "climb the ladder till you're a mindless puppet or do it your own way"  

My idea of success was alot like what you were saying when I was growing up, and yeah I had it mapped out, had daydream fantasies of things I KNEW I'd be doing some day.  Now my idea of success?  Being able to easily create with the whole process being fun and exciting like it was when I was first getting started.  I just... if I could just get back to where music is easy, free, and in no way a pain in the ass again, I'll feel like a total winner.  

• Like 2

HoboSage    1,904

Best of luck with the album project, Tim.  

starise    366

Thanks Sage. My BIL bought one so far lol. 

symphoniuos7-

My off the cuff thought on this is only Illuminati picks "make it". But then I'm one of those fringe conspiracy theory types lol. And yes, I agree. Puppet is putting it mildly.

I notice you like a lot of those old rockers. The way I see it, those guys had babysitters. By that I mean- " They wrecked the motel room?" Send us the bill and get a PR guy over there right away. " The drummer is doing too much smack? Send someone to make sure he gets to the concert". " Didn't make the recording session? We had better go find him."

I'm sure to some extent this still happens at the very top. I believe now though it's more shape up or we'll replace you or modify you.

Back then if you were picked to be a star and pulled in the money, you didn't need to be responsible :)

Have you ever seen Elton John get mad? Hell hath no fury. Apparently he gets mad a lot.Why don't they fire him?

• Like 2

symphonious7    117

I think it's cool you said that @starise cause that's kind of my whole theory too.  It looks to me like at first they were happy to promote real talent, till they realized they were at the mercy of that real talent, slowly the artists seem to get more and more replaceable, till by mid 2000's they're pretty much all the same.  It's like they don't want an irreplaceable talent having them by the balls or something.  

• Like 1

Ray888    158
42 minutes ago, starise said:

Thanks Sage. My BIL bought one so far lol. 

symphoniuos7-

My off the cuff thought on this is only Illuminati picks "make it". But then I'm one of those fringe conspiracy theory types lol. And yes, I agree. Puppet is putting it mildly.

I notice you like a lot of those old rockers. The way I see it, those guys had babysitters. By that I mean- " They wrecked the motel room?" Send us the bill and get a PR guy over there right away. " The drummer is doing too much smack? Send someone to make sure he gets to the concert". " Didn't make the recording session? We had better go find him."

I'm sure to some extent this still happens at the very top. I believe now though it's more shape up or we'll replace you or modify you.

Back then if you were picked to be a star and pulled in the money, you didn't need to be responsible :)

Have you ever seen Elton John get mad? Hell hath no fury. Apparently he gets mad a lot.Why don't they fire him?

When I was signed to a major label right through the eighties I was witness to how it all works from the inside. It's important to understand that majors are only interested in one thing (Money). It's a business that is run by corporate entrepreneurs and Lawyers who will even sign a talented artist just because they feel that they are a threat to another of their artists who are making them money. Basically the shelve them so that they can do nothing whilst they are under contract. During the 1990s when I had a large studio complex in Willesden in North London I used to have A&R regularly dropping by asking for specific types of artists and bands and they would not show the slightest interest if I tried to point out to them artists or bands that were outside of their remit. Orders are given from the top down and the devils minions obey orders to the letter because there were many others in the queue who were waiting to take their jobs. Not many A&R people are in the same job for very long because of it.

Today we have Online record Labels like CD Baby, ReverbNation who are just as bad as the majors, the difference is that online labels don't pay you anything upfront like the majors do and expect you to do your own promotion unless you pay them for it.

To sum it up in one sentence, the whole music business is a money making machine and it's getting worse not for the labels but for songwriters, artists, and musicians who just want the chance for their music to be heard by the wider public and would be happy if they could earn enough money to get by and continue doing what they love. If you are a person that is willing to jump into the quagmire with them you will probably do well.

• Like 2

Richard Tracey    250

There was a really good set of programmes on either Sky Arts or BBC Four. They spoke to a lot of people who used to be in the business and especially A&R and some of the things they used to get up to was incredible. The money that was thrown about was insane and it is no wonder things have gone to the dogs for the music industry. There were too many artists getting paid far too much upfront and the costs involved in studio time for one album, would be enough to feed a family for life. 

I think the the only way musicians can make money now, it to all get together and do it all themselves. They might have to crowdfund to start with, but it would pay dividends in the end. There are too many artists who have 'made it' and have more money than sense, but it isn't enough and they put out sub-standard crap that gets hyped to hell and the sheep buy it or download/stream it.

Most of these artists are over hyped garbage.

Rant over.

Just1L    902

Nothing will ever change as long as anyone can post any song, just about anywhere with no repercussions. Even with the "let's do it ourselves" method, once popularity comes, all your songs are free online through various means. As long as content is treated like nothing, viewers will treat it the same. It'd be nice if the internet was used only for Amateurs. Once you decide to, you could make sure all your content is pulled from online except for where the artist wants it. But my oh my, try that and the crybabies will whine, whine, whine and stamp their feet. I want it NOW and I want it FREE!!!!! Metallica had it right, but look what happened to them during the Napster fiasco. It all could have been solved right then.

Edited by Just1L
  • Like 1

Ray888    158
21 minutes ago, Just1L said:

Nothing will ever change as long as anyone can post any song, just about anywhere with no repercussions. Even with the "let's do it ourselves" method, once popularity comes, all your songs are free online through various means. As long as content is treated like nothing, viewers will treat it the same. It'd be nice if the internet was used only for Amateurs. Once you decide to, you could make sure all your content is pulled from online except for where the artist wants it. But my oh my, try that and the crybabies will whine, whine, whine and stamp their feet. I want it NOW and I want it FREE!!!!! Metallica had it right, but look what happened to them during the Napster fiasco. It all could have been solved right then.

I think that the internet is a wonderful thing but as you have pointed out there is no vetting or monitoring to test the standards of songs. I reckon that if they split every thing into sections like "Radio Ready", "Semi pro", and "Amature" and vetted songs before allowing them on Youtube, CD Baby, Reverbnation it would be far better for the listeners and purchasers of songs. It won't happen because these platforms want to earn money and not spend it on paying muso's to monitor and filter on the sites.  

• Like 3

Just1L    902
7 minutes ago, Ray888 said:

I think that the internet is a wonderful thing but as you have pointed out there is no vetting or monitoring to test the standards of songs. I reckon that if they split every thing into sections like "Radio Ready", "Semi pro", and "Amature" and vetted songs before allowing them on Youtube, CD Baby, Reverbnation it would be far better for the listeners and purchasers of songs. It won't happen because these platforms want to earn money and not spend it on paying muso's to monitor and filter on the sites.  

Yeah, it's all about the money. Honestly everything they need to do to filter songs like you say is already there, it wouldn't cost them anything to implement it. And it would be on the uploader to decide where it should go. But it would dig into their cash stash.

66849009.jpg

• Like 1

symphonious7    117
3 minutes ago, Ray888 said:

I'm not sure if I'm getting what you mean fully, but like... when you say "Radio Ready" "Semi Prop" etc, could that be somewhat synonymous with "Fully produced large budget productions" "Bands that produce themselves and have a decent internet following" "Unknowns" ?  Cause that would be kind of cool, being able to pick the level of obscurity you want to browse by.   

• Like 1