Rob Ash

What does it mean to succeed?

john    1,459

So if you could find a solution that worked for you (in terms of video creation) YouTube might still work for you? For example using animated characters (Gorillaz), or using actors (Sia)

MonoStone    917
4 hours ago, john said:

So if you could find a solution that worked for you (in terms of video creation) YouTube might still work for you? For example using animated characters (Gorillaz), or using actors (Sia)

I'm not sure whether you're asking me John, but I can only put my opinion forward...

The animated idea crossed my mind a long time ago, before Gorillaz and before YouTube (I think)... since I've always worked in art for games and with comic artists too it was a natural idea... and I could do some sort of animated me and a band now but... just to make one video with performing animated characters (with quality) takes an enormous amount of time and effort. I'm not saying that in a lazy way either. The point is that YouTube success is not about the videos so much as the personality, the person, and also momentum I think. And even if animated videos did grab that much attention it would be literally impossible to single handedly keep up the number of regular updates required to maintain and build the audience.

I think if you're making music videos... yeah that's great...and using actors is fine, anything goes. There are so many ways to make music vids. I wouldn't choose animated characters for me, just because it doesn't turn me on. Personally I enjoy the kind of videos M83 makes.... and I might well try to do some videos... but I don't see that as a way to gain an audience especially. Still a fun thing to do.

It's not something I spend any time worrying about though. I mean I don't make any real effort to grow a fan base anymore. The way I see it... IF I really, honestly desired success in music in terms of a huge fan base and big sales, then I'd get off my arse and do some gigs. And maybe at some point I might get back to gigging, but this was my whole point really... if I was having a dig at anyone it was at ME lol .... there's a lot of talk and no trousers going around and I count myself in that until/unless I really get the desire again and get myself out there again. But all that said, YouTube is a different thing... it requires a different kind of entertainer, the kind I am just very definitely not :)  

Edit... not quite might whole point... I wanted to encourage conversation and people helping each other with ideas of promotion not for me personally, but for anyone...especially anyone just starting out... and I felt it important for that reason to say, get off your arse and out there if you want success in terms of being a 'star', and the cut CD baby etc take doesn't matter, and the possibilities the internet appears to offer doesn't matter, IF you're unnoticed. 

Edited by MonoStone
  • Like 2

starise    403

I consider myself an aspiring  multi instrumental musician / mix engineer and not really a performance artist.  The thought of going around playing gigs never crossed my mind. I don't necessarily see that as a disadvantage in the genres I choose to usually work in. You would have to drag me to a gig :D. I mean, I could see myself maybe playing at a bar. I might get 40 or 50 dollars. I feel I could use my time more productively in other ways. It doesn't really appeal to me. I mainly want to make and mix music.

I don't fault someone who wants to put their face out there on a stage. I'm just not personally driven by that kind of interest or pull.

The GP is conditioned more and more to buy online. We have online grocery order and delivery. Online dating, online books, online pharmacy.online department stores. Why not focus on online music?People take in music on cable TV and from computers. I don't see why success is  so absolutely tied to public gigs. Look at all of the music for sale from musicians who don't tour. Not everyone will see in this way. I compare it to something like the NFL. Most people are content to watch the game on TV, but some venture out to see the game in person. I just attended a Phillies Game and we got rained out. I would rather watch it on TV if at all...the tickets were free so we went.

One thing I've noticed about CD Baby is they take a long time to get your music onto the big digital distribution networks. Could be a tactic to allow the music to be displayed first on their site so they get the first opportunities for sales or it could be that the big distributors are like slow lumbering giants in getting things done. Whatever that case, don't expect immediate exposure from the digital vendors.I believe the majority of bought music is now paid for on iTunes, Amazon or similar.

Dek you have a very strong English feel in your music with moods similar to the Beatles at times. If I made music like this I would probably try to use as many "Beatles" tags or " like the beatles" as I could. This way people  searching a Beatles sound might bump into you. I see bands doing this all the time in using tags that might get a bigger audience. Just a thought.

MonoStone    917
5 minutes ago, starise said:

The GP is conditioned more and more to buy online. We have online grocery order and delivery. Online dating, online books, online pharmacy.online department stores. Why not focus on online music?People take in music on cable TV and from computers. I don't see why success is  so absolutely tied to public gigs. Look at all of the music for sale from musicians who don't tour

This was the reason I stuck my initial 50p in lol... I think that's the wrong way to look at it IF you want to get your music out to a lot of people, either for sales or just to gain a significant audience of genuine fans. For me personally the music is the most important, and if I HAPPEN to come across a new artist online I don't care that I can't see them play live, I don't care that I can't see them promoting themselves or performing on YouTube .... BUT.... my point is that I'd have to just HAPPEN to FIND that artist. CD Baby, Bandcamp, iTunes ...whatever... don't do ANYTHING to promote you so IF (and again only IF) you want to gain a significant audience it's simply not enough to just put your music up for sale or just have your own site or just be on ReverbNation...  again, to achieve that type of success you have to put yourself out there,  in some way, and performing live remains ONE good way to do that....

... and I was encouraging conversation about other methods.

Regarding me and the Beatles... I didn't/don't want this to become about me. It wasn't my intention. I'm really not making any significant effort to be found, which was kind of my point  but I have to add... I think anyone searching for Beatles and finding me would be disappointed lol, I think my music is (aside from nowhere near as good), on the whole apart from maybe one song, nothing like the Beatles apart from me being Northern English :)  but it's interesting to hear from the perspective of someone from another part of the world, thanks.

starise    403
17 minutes ago, MonoStone said:

Regarding me and the Beatles... I didn't/don't want this to become about me. It wasn't my intention. I'm really not making any significant effort to be found, which was kind of my point  but I have to add... I think anyone searching for Beatles and finding me would be disappointed lol, I think my music is (aside from nowhere near as good), on the whole apart from maybe one song, nothing like the Beatles apart from me being Northern English :)  but it's interesting to hear from the perspective of someone from another part of the world, thanks.

I'm not making a significant effort to be found either TBH.  I don't think you know how much your vibe sounds like them to me. I'm probably not the only one. The main difference is the harmony. You very much remind me of Paul Mcartney. 

Other methods might include using tons of tags. I have used Celtic tags to an advantage. The word has a wide recognition as does the Beatles and might gain a few listeners, just sayin'. :D

Another little known thing I've come across is sometimes a person can call a search engine and debate their standing in the search engine. I know this because I have a friend with an internet business and he bugged Yahoo to death until they put him up in the listings.Might not work for every one but he had a solid argument.

MonoStone    917
1 minute ago, starise said:

Another little known thing I've come across is sometimes a person can call a search engine and debate their standing in the search engine. I know this because I have a friend with an internet business and he bugged Yahoo to death until they put him up in the listings.Might not work for every one but he had a solid argument.

I don't know whether Google would do that or not, I have no idea... but... what is being searched for and why?

For example, if I search for my artist name I find me easily (and I guess others would find me easily if they searched for Mono Stone) but... if somebody is searching for my name then the ease of finding me is much less important because...they must have already heard of me.

And I'm not sure what other tags would get an artist found in an engine search but things like 'artists you sound like' won't help...because those searches will be swamped with direct hits...i.e anyone searching for the Beatles will find the page upon page of actual Beatles related sites, videos, music etc before finding anyone who just has a Beatles tag. 

So to gain 'fans' IF you want them, it's about finding ways to be discovered... and of course having something, and presenting that something, in a way that attracts people. And I don't say that in any attempt to sound like an expert on the subject... but to me it's just common sense...and the options, methods people could use are what interests me and what will be useful to anyone hoping to gain that kind of success. I think it's such a deep subject, it's not even as simple as 'getting yourself out there' as I put it, but that's kind of the headline as I see it.

I think the majority of us on this site don't really chase that kind of fame or adoration or big record sales.... some do but most of the active people here don't... and so the other reason I jumped in was because IF we don't, then the margins at CD Baby etc don't even matter since we're not going to make worthwhile money anyway. It just shouldn't be about the money/sales at all unless you're really going to make some significant promotional efforts.

john    1,459

Just as a little aside... with no intention to divert the topic, Google, in particular, runs on big data. Other sites do too,  like Facebook, but talking of the biggest search engine specifically.

Google customises their search results not just to location and topic, but also to you. When you search using any of your own devices, they know it is you. Even when they are not sure they try to work out if it is you from other data, such as IP addresses you frequently use and what browser you use, your browsing behaviour etc. They gather all this information to help target advertising, under the guise that they are "customising search results"

I understand they use this information to build ever more sophisticated profiles of each of us which they use yes to better target advertising and other Google services like YouTube, but also to build that profile. 

Google led are the biggest web site analytics provider. They provide free analytics to web sites (who went where, how long for, where they came from, where they went... which website owners cannot tie up individuals... they can see visitor A went here and did this, but they have no idea visitor A is you. However, as Google is installed on millions of sites, it helps Google build a meta view on your online activities.

They tie this together with the data you freely tell them. Such as when you create a Google, Flickr or YouTube account (to name a few)

So much so that even if you don't log in to any services or sites, even when not at home or work, their pattern detection algorithms are busy working away trying to match visitor A with Joe Bloggs. They can even display ads they think you will like, guessing it might be you, testing your browsing habits and interests to build a stronger and stronger correlation. Every site you visit, every online action you take, monitored in order to serve you more appropriate advertising.

For large numbers of us, they control our mobile phones. This can help narrow down who a browser is... they know thei s IP originates in this area, they know Joe is in this area because his phone is in this area... it all narrows down who you are and robs you of any anonymity you think you have.

For those of you using private browsing... sorry that just means your browser doesn't store your browsing history. Google still does!

For those of you using proxies... sorry, their meta data pattern matching is still used to tie up activity with actual people. Made all the easier if at any point you touch actual accounts, profiles etc.

Google are not alone. Windows do it too. Bing, Windows phones etc. Even getting into trouble for the amount of your data they used taken from your PC. Facebook too. Most of the big players. Several are linked and sharing data, like Windows and Skype.

Meta data. We are drowning in it.

Bringing it back to the original topic... the one minor upside is that it is possible to harness that metadata to help further your music career. (Phew, about time it linked to the OT lol)

For example, by highly targeted Facebook ads, or Google ads. By defining optimised keywords and hashtags that work well with search engines to aid discovery. Also by using an overall strategy that uses interconnectedness as part of that strategy. There really is so much you can do with just a bit of information... 

MonoStone    917
1 hour ago, john said:

When you search using any of your own devices, they know it is you

Yeah I almost added that... I know... and I guess it will be less immediate for anyone else searching for me, but even so...if they search for my name then they must have heard of me, and so it matters less since they'll find me. 

john    1,459

It gets interesting when you switch off the personalised search results and you realise you get a completely different feed of results. Loads of less savvy small businesses think they are crushing the google search results, not knowing that they are looking at a custom, personalised feed of search results! Doh!

starise    403

I can confirm this because I use multiple devices on any given day and I know they know it's me. In some ways I see the advantages because if a potential customer searches for a certain genre the metadata should narrow it to their interests. If their interests are in line with our music, then it might be helping them to find you or me. Cumulative data over time narrows the people who might buy if you have yourself in the right places.

On sites such as Soundcloud you might have a better chance since they aren't supposed to be putting up music by famous artists unless the artists have posted it up. We know people get around that occasionally, but for the most part it is original music that can be tagged to correlate with a famous artist. 

On the big players like Google it pays to have a standing track record in the right direction. An artist might have a tagged description that says "they have a similar sound to Fleetwood Mac". In that article tag " Fleetwood Mac". Now you have a tie to a famous band. It isn't perfect but at some point you will come up . 

I have searched for a subject, say midi editing, and a thread I commented on two years ago pops up on a message board. You might have long forgotten it, but it's there and the same can be true of having that kind of interconnectedness with your brand or music.

Ray888    176
On 31/07/2017 at 7:54 PM, starise said:

I'm glad to hear that your wife is a survivor.I hope and pray it doesn't come back.

You seem to think along the same lines as me. I reach as far as my mind will go and it's never far enough. Thinking of mainly the wonder, unexplained and amazing. Even though I see order, I also see the fallen state. Makes one wonder what could have been or what can be. 

On the music end of things we might all do better selling fish bait :)

The biggest bait you can offer any person is your love, time and friendship. When everyone in this chaotic world realises that and acts upon it we will finally get as close to heaven as is possible. [smiley=beerchug.gif]

starise    403

I like that Ray! And Thanks for those words:)

I'm one of those dogmatic types ( INFJ ), so I would only add it's as close to heaven as we'll ever get HERE.;)[smiley=beerchug.gif]

Have a good day!

• Like 1

symphonious7    206
On 8/1/2017 at 5:54 AM, Sreyashi Mukherjee said:

I seriously wonder, Chris... how many words do you utter in a single day.. verbal and written put together? You'd win any extempore competition hands down.. simply on the grounds of spontaneity.. without even having to listen to the matter :P

You're damn amusing! 

I talk to myself.... ALL.  DAY.  LONG.  

lol

I type so fast it's nuts, my mom used to always go "I will never understand how I type the way I do and my son types like THAT" lol  I also think faster than I type, I'm also exciteable and always bursting at the seams to get my thoughts/feelings out.  Add all this together and.... yeah I say alot on the internet.  I hope you really do find me amusing haha I have had to admit to myself in the last couple of days though that I need to stop drinking, I'm not an alcoholic or like, it's not some biiiig thing or anything, but just... I need more of a filter.  And I don't have that when I drink, and then I start going on and on about Jesus in a thread about musical success lol  There's a time and place symph, a time and a place..

• Like 2

Jenn    259
1 minute ago, symphonious7 said:

I need to stop drinking, I'm not an alcoholic or like [...]

This is why we get along so well

• Haha 1

symphonious7    206
Just now, Jenn said:

This is why we get along so well

Nailed it.  

• Confused 1

Ray888    176
3 hours ago, symphonious7 said:

I have had to admit to myself in the last couple of days though that I need to stop drinking, I'm not an alcoholic or like, it's not some biiiig thing or anything, but just... I need more of a filter.  And I don't have that when I drink, and then I start going on and on about Jesus in a thread about musical success lol  There's a time and place symph, a time and a place..

I used to drink more than what would be considered healthy when I was young. When I stopped I learned that my brain functioned far better and I began to wake up a lot brighter in the mornings. I now only have a half pint of beer once in a blue moon.

• Like 1

symphonious7    206
Just now, Ray888 said:

I used to drink more than what would be considered healthy when I was young. When I stopped I learned that my brain functioned far better and I began to wake up a lot brighter in the mornings. I now only have a half pint of beer once in a blue moon.

I'll think nothing is wrong, and I don't do anything THAT embarrassing or bad, but it's like... the fact that I know I said emotionally charged things, I know I had many interactions the night before, but I don't reeeeeally remember them they're hazy, mixed with the depleting of my seratonin?  It just makes me wake up every morning thinking I've made a complete ass of myself the night before and wanting to hide from everyone, even though NOTHING happened.  I've just come to the conclusion it's not doing me any favors, so yeah, this may be my moment of epiphany.  Two days without drinking and my mind feels MUCH calmer already.  

• Like 1

Jenn    259

I've been home from school and unable to drink... and I've written more songs ever than when I was at school

Im in denial about any sort of correlation 

• Haha 1

HoboSage    1,997

Oh, c'mon.  Everyone knows booze is for performing and weed for for creating.  At least, that's what I've heard.  Yeah, that's it.

Edited by HoboSage
  • Like 2

MonoStone    917

Weed is for listening... booze is for numbing

• Like 1

symphonious7    206
18 minutes ago, HoboSage said:

Oh, c'mon.  Everyone knows booze is for performing and weed for for creating.  At least, that's what I've heard.  Yeah, that's it.

No I think I read that in my pocket constitution just the other day, it's not what you've heard, IT'S THE LAW.  

symphonious7    206
10 minutes ago, MonoStone said:

Weed is for listening... booze is for numbing

I feel you with the listening.  Well and even the creating actually, though it's hard for me to.... hold onto much when I'm high.  I always try to prepare  by having my phone set for audio memos.  Then when all the ideas I can only think of once and then they're gone are gone?  They're NOT gone.  They're on my phone.  I love how this thread is progressing.... like the ever approaching claws of a trap.....

what.

Edited by symphonious7

MonoStone    917
3 minutes ago, symphonious7 said:

Well and even the creating actually, though it's hard for me to

Sometimes... but I've been listening to the same 16 bars going round and round for an hour trying to find one new sound to add... sounds great though... at the moment.

Jenn    259
24 minutes ago, MonoStone said:

Sometimes... but I've been listening to the same 16 bars going round and round for an hour trying to find one new sound to add... sounds great though... at the moment.

I get frustrated if I'm high and then go listen to other people's music 

but I'll dance around to a synth and drum beat looped for an hour that I made when drunk

• Like 1

HoboSage    1,997

Weed is for listening only for a minute or two, because if you're listening to music for pleasure while high and your a musician, the urge to create will soon kick in.  I've heard that too. :)

• Like 1

HoboSage    1,997

Dek, do you even have weed in the U.K.?  If so, it's probably all "ditch weed."  <heh-heh>

Edited by HoboSage
  • Like 1

symphonious7    206
20 minutes ago, HoboSage said:

Weed is for listening only for a minute or two, because if you're listening to music for pleasure while high and your a musician, the urge to create will soon kick in.  I've heard that too. :)

happens... EVERY.... TIME.....

Rob Ash    495

Well, John's right. Religion and politics are no-no's for good reason. I was there. IN the thick of it. And it made me so sick (mostly with myself) I had to leave the site for a month to recharge. Really to purge all the anger. It did me no good and left me sick. I can safely say I am far from the only one who would express similar sentiments.

Aside from that, I personally have enjoyed the way this thread has meandered... but then again,. I also enjoyed how John brilliantly steered it back on course. With that thought in mind, and seeing that the subject under discussion has centered on the idea of what amateur, unrecognized artists can do to achieve a sense of fulfillment when they make their music, I decided to come back and chime in with the following...

I have no aspirations of becoming financially successful as a musician anymore. Even back before the industry flew apart, I realized I was never going to make even a steady living as a performer writer or composer. At the same time, however, I began to work on a serious CD project about 10 years ago. I began compiling songs, with the idea that when I had enough solid material, I'd publish.

Even in the beginning, my plan was only to provide a legacy for my family and friends. You see, I kind of officially decided that my music, and love of music, was among the best of ways for people who I have loved, and who have loved me back, in my life, to remember after I am gone. But I will admit that, at first, I also planned to try and market the music online.

Recently, I've begun to lose the ability to sing as high as I used to. I also struggled mightily with learning to mix with any success. For years I struggled with mixing. I mixed several pretty good tunes into oblivion. I actually spent a whole year, a couple of years back, basically just remixing the same tune over and over... and over. That experience was frustrating enough that I almost gave up. But in the end, it was that brute force, grunt it out in the mud experience that allowed me to finally grasp what makes a good mix work, once I stepped away from the process and had some time to digest what had happened.

There have been other things that have caused delays. I hit a dry spell on coming up with new song ideas a few years ago... I'm still in that same dry spell.

But. I have perhaps 30 tunes in various stages of completion. Certainly enough to produce a pretty strong CD. And so I now plan to stop creating and concentrate solely on production and engineering. I still play bass and guitar just fine. I'm better on midi drums than I ever was before. I can now mix well enough to show a competent engineer what I'm looking for. The plan has always been to take the tracks to a pro... spend a grand to get a uniform, strong sound. I can do the CD art myself (I was a professional illustrator and designer for 30 years), and there are many places you can get short runs made of CD in jewel cases.

So, I'm gong to go back, pick out 12-13 or so songs, and take them apart to their constituent pieces. If a piece needs to be laid down again, I'll redo it. Once I have pat tracks, I'll mix it, can it and move on. Oh, and I also plan to include a set of AIFF and MP3 tracks on a separate disk that can be loaded to any device.

By this time next year, I'll have my CD. My plan is to never make a dime on it. But every friend and family member I have will have a copy, And if they choose, they can listen to it, in their car perhaps...

Once that happens, I'll be satisfied. If there's time, and I have the will and the means to make another CD afterwards, I may consider it.

So, tell me.... is that enough? Or should I feel compelled to try and achieve more with my music?

Edited by Rob Ash
  • Like 2

Ray888    176
10 minutes ago, Rob Ash said:

Once that happens, I'll be satisfied. If there's time, and I have the will and the means to make another CD afterwards, I may consider it.

So, tell me.... is that enough? Or should I feel compelled to try and achieve more with my music?

If it satisfies you then it is surely enough. I don't believe that it is appropriate for anyone else to comment on what drives you or what you should or shouldn't be doing. Whatever rocks an individuals boat is fine with me.

symphonious7    206
1 hour ago, Rob Ash said:

Even in the beginning, my plan was only to provide a legacy for my family and friends. You see, I kind of officially decided that my music, and love of music, was among the best of ways for people who I have loved, and who have loved me back, in my life, to remember after I am gone. But I will admit that, at first, I also planned to try and market the music online.

This really really... that's just awesome man.  I've never thought of it that way... "a way for friends and family to remember me".  I know so many people will remember me for my music, yet I don't do it for that I... well I guess I do it to share what's in my heart and blow my own mind and other's minds basically.  But I think I don't grasp often that... it means something to others, like truly does I mean, other people's music REALLY means something to me especially a friend or family member's.  My family is ALWAYS bringing up my old songs to me, "why don't you try to sell this one! Send it to a producer!"  lol  Stuff I forgot about 10 years ago that they still think about.  

Your struggles REEEEALLY match my own, been at this mixing thing 6 years, seen... very little fruit.  I mean I get more clarity and a tad more umph and I can be a bit more... purposeful, but all my mixes are still far from the mark, and for me it robbed me of my joy with songwriting for a long time.  It's almost like I'd see the mixing process before I'd even finish writing the song or as I was writing it and I'd just... not be feeling it cause I know how it's gonna sound. 

Your goals are awesome, I think you have a solid and really well thought out plan.  It's great you can finally mix for yourself, that's the dream for me.  The good news for me is I've started working with a producer and for the first time in my life it's going well!  He's a forum member btw Don Nafe, (I'm not tagging him cause I need to talk about him behind his back for a sec, muhahahaha)   But yeah just... I've had really bad luck with producers, all of them I've always been... so much of a control freak and I never felt the producer really would get my vision.  But the past 2 days have been killer working with Don!  He's like a machine man!  And I feel like he really GETS what I'm going for, and doesn't push me too hard in directions I don't wanna go.  At first it was weird cause I felt so... I dunno man I am NOT used to working with someone else when it comes to my music, not since... a long time ago haha and at first I felt so odd asking for this and that, but he comes back with edits that are just what I ask for in like, minutes.  Ok enough gushing about Don.  

The point is, this has given me hope, we may not be getting quite... radio quality recordings, (probably due alot to the sounds we're working with) but they beat mine by a mile and can follow anything I hear anywhere.  They'd be perfect for music videos and pitching and selling, he does great work.  And if he's willing to make a few more (I'm looking at you Don....)  I just think.... for the first time I can really market something.  So my goal would be to just... make a short ep, but a REALLY epic one, and then just go to town everywhere with it, sell it anywhere I can and promote it any way I can encouraging fans to help.  It's kinda worked before I just wasn't putting effort in, the fans were lol  (I hope no one's uncomfortable with that word, but I've had people who were self proclaimed fans, who tried to promote and push me even when I wasn't... ready yet)  But that's why I feel it's so doable!  If people get excited enough to wanna share it when I'm not that into what I'm doing, what'll happen when I'm geeked to show it to people?  So yeah I'm really excited for the possibilities, but it will be what it will be, and as you said, no goal can really reach higher than just having a way for the people you love to feel like you live on.  It's a really tangible piece of your heart to leave them.  

Edited by symphonious7