Your Ad Could Be Here

Can we have your story?

Wow...good topic.  I've always been interested in music, in singing, playing guitar and drums...(I sang "Country Roads" in my Vacation Bible School class to inconclusive reviews) and broke dozens of drum sticks by beating them against anything I could find.  Unfortunately, to say that my mom and step-dad were unsupportive would be like saying the ocean is a small pond.  Eventually, after a few years I gave in to "what was expected" and pursued a more conventional track and "rewarding" (pardon me while I yawn) career.  Fast forward 45 years, then something truly magical happened.  Out of nowhere I got a call from a private eye who was commissioned by my biological father to find me.  He and my mom divorced when I was three and he had been trying to find me as I moved around the country over the years.  I was skeptical of course, but he did provide convincing evidence.  When we met, it freaked my wife completely out because we were virtually carbon copies of each other.  Same build, mannerisms, hair (he had much less than me...yikes!)  I found out that he had played in a band called Southern Comfort for many, many years as a drummer, and also my brother D (who I met for the first time then as well) is an accomplished bass and guitar player.  So I picked up a guitar again.  I really had my doubts when I started playing again, and had no confidence that I could even write a song but he kept telling me "goddam boy, it's in your genes, don't let no one tell you no different.  Do what's inside and t'hell with 'em."  and that's where I started writing my own songs.  I looked around for some time trying to find somewhere to get more feedback on what I was writing and then I stumbled into Songstuff and the great group here.   And I've never regretted it.  Thanks John for putting together this site, and all you folks who write, perform, and produce music that take the time to critique and help. ~ JH

• Like 4

I've always enjoyed songwriting. I've always written country music songs and then I wrote my first rap song back in 2016 dedicated and inspired by my son who had some rough experiences in the early stages of his life. I consider myself to be a true story lyric writer so I base all my lyrics off my experiences or the others around me.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to try to keep this as short as possible. I think there are 4 key events in my life that have guided my musical journey. The first event was when I was really little and watched a show on TV that had the Bay City Rollers playing … probably lip syncing. Women were just rushing up on stage the whole time. I remember thinking "Man, those ladies really like what they are doing." Of course at the time I was unaware of why exactly they were rushing the stage. I purely thought it was because they liked the music. :) So shortly after that I asked for my first guitar for Christmas. Some few years later after taking lessons and whatnot I kind of started slumping and falling out of guitar a little, probably due to my small hands making it harder. Until I heard the second event … Eruption by Van Halen. I got chills the first time I heard it and a plethora of times after that. It really made me jump head first into learning the guitar and from that point on about 99% of what I learned were Van Halen songs. I kept on that path almost all the way through college. The third event happened close to the time I heard Eruption but didn't realize it's affect on me until some years later. In 7th grade my choir teacher told me I should probably look to do another elective as I didn't have a good singing voice and she wondered if I was a bit tone deaf. At the time I was a little bummed but figured I'd just keep going with the guitar. Various times after that the idea of me singing would pop up and I would immediately think "No way. I suck." Thanks teacher. That little nugget of education stayed with me well after the fourth event and only subsided in the past few years. But the fourth event was when I learned I could record songs on my computer, for free, using Garageband. I was worried because I knew I couldn't sing, but I also didn't have drums or a bass so I figured I'd wing all of it. Which I did. While my vocals aren't great, they are much better than I thought they were and suffice to get the point across so I've come to accept my vocals as they are. In a nutshell that's it. Those 4 things have kept me going. Even the negative event has helped me in life as now whenever someone tells me I can't, or shouldn't do something because I'm not good enough, I take it as a challenge with the goal to prove them wrong. 

As far as songwriting only goes, I've always done it. I recall my first song "Tone of Black" and still have those lyrics on paper somewhere. They really suck but do rhyme in some spots. :) In first grade I also wrote a poem "Little Things" which was published in a District-wide book of poetry. The beauty is I got my own page and a nice large illustration of a dragon on the opposite page. When I look back at that, I wonder what I was thinking when I went and crossed it all out in third grade throwing a hissy-fit about something or other. Probably about not eating my dinner or getting in trouble for cussing. 

Edited by Just1L
  • Like 3

Thanks for sharing, Randy. Just out of curiosity - when did this fourth event start? Just for me to get an idea as to how long it took you to go from that level of skill and self-confidence to where you are now... it doesn't appear to be too long ago.  

On April 1, 2017 at 4:02 AM, Sreyashi Mukherjee said:

Thanks for sharing, Randy. Just out of curiosity - when did this fourth event start? Just for me to get an idea as to how long it took you to go from that level of skill and self-confidence to where you are now... it doesn't appear to be too long ago.  

It started in 2009. I discovered Garageband in early 2009. I immediately recorded a song I was working on the last time I really was playing guitar, which was around 1995. I sat on the music for quite a few months before I decided to bite the bullet and sing it for myself. I recorded about 4 or 5 songs before I ever decided to share any of them. Slowly but surely I would get comments on my vocals not being bad and needing to be louder in the mix. I would say it wasn't until 2011 or 2012 until I really started believing and listening to those comments and turning the vocals up louder with each new song I did. Can't say exactly but it was really around 2015 when I myself started to actually like the vocals as well and saw them as possibly a strong suite, rather than a weak one. I do still think there are better singers that could do my songs more justice, but I also think they have a quality that could be good enough. Especially considering I've never taken a class or got instruction anywhere. All the practice I've done was solely to get a song I'm working on done right. I've just recently really grasped the singing from the gut method. Should I ever need it, as in I would be playing out somewhere, I would take at least 1 session of vocal lessons to really focus on them and get them closer to where they should/could be.

I would say even more than lacking the skill, it was the self confidence that was such a hinderance. Once I got over that I was able to advance my skills because I was singing full throttle and when it wasn't working, I would adjust my body (i.e. stomach, throat, etc…) to get it to where it needed to be. The most surprising thing of all is how much easier it is to sing when you're doing it correctly. That's my only judging stick on whether I'm doing it right or not. Also, it's the one thing I give American Idol credit for. I used to watch that and noticed that they weren't screaming and struggling to get the sound out. It all "looked" like it was very easy for them.

Edited by Just1L
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I first picked up a guitar at the age of 14. It was a beat up classical guitar that had a split around the body creating a bellows effect. The action was so high, it was impossible to play anything above the 5th fret! and the tuning peg on one of the strings was missing. So all the other strings were tuned to that string. Over a period of time, the tuning got lower and lower. I loved it! It belonged to the guy who had recently moved into the house next door. He was training to be a teacher. Not the best start to a life long friendship! I hated school, and I hated most of my teachers! Believing them to arrive each morning from an alien place to beat some education into us mere humans. But Les Andrew was a persistant individual, and he was determined to foist this guitar onto me. He insisted I borrow it whilst he attended university. A cunning ploy! Armed with this beast, and clutching reams of music manuscript written by such dignitaries as Lennon and McCartney, and The Birds, and a book of basic chords! I was informed by Les to master the chord of Eb on the 3rd fret. 'This will enable you to play anything!' I was told. Weeks and weeks went by when I struggled to get my pudgy little fingers around an Eb chord. Changing to Eb from other chords, changing from Eb to other chords. It was torture. Bearing in mind the extraordinary height of the strings from the fretboard on this guitar, At last, I finally felt I could play this chord comfortably. I awaited the return of the bloke next door! When he did turn up, and we started to play a few songs together, I noticed that any song that was either in the key of Eb, or actually contained an Eb chord somewhere in the song, he would transpose the song into a different key! When I tackled him about this! He blithely imparted that you didn't play in Eb if you could get away with it...??? Despite this misleading start, I managed to keep playing and eventually bought my own guitar. It was a beautifull classical guitar. I left school at the age of 15, and saved up enough money to enable a visit to the local musical emporium! This was mainly dedicated to accoustic instruments. I entered the premises with the princely sum of £13 in my pocket. The sales person was an elderly (to me) gentleman who enquired if I needed assistance? 'I've come to buy a guitar.' I mumble feeling slightly embarrased. 'A wise investment young sir!' He exclaims in a very understated and gentle voice. I immediately feel at ease! 'Do you have a preference as to the style of instrument you require?' He asks. 'Err, I've been playing a nylon string one' 'Excellent choice!' This man is the epitome of calm. The sort of bloke you really want to be your Grandad! 'Does sir have a budget to adhere to?' 'Um. I've got £13' I mumble. This represents almost three weeks wages to me! 'Let's have a look shall we?' The place is full of guitars! Along all walls three high, starting with, on the left, the biggest array of classical guitars I've yet to encounter since that day! He selects a guitar and walks to the other side of the shop and sits down on a stool. 'I think this may be a suitable candidate!' He says. He then tunes it up in what appears to be less than a second, and hands it to me. ' I shall leave you alone whilst I attent to a few things. Please!' He says indicating the stool. I sit down and start impressing everybody with my mastery of the Eb chord. Then I strike up a snappy little number in Am by America called Ventura Highway. Feeling pretty pleased with myself, the salesman returns. 'What do you think? 'It feels lovely' I say. Which it did. 'How much is it?' I enquire. He finds a small ticket attached to a tuning peg. '£16 sir.' 'Oh. I've only got £13. I can't afford any more than that!' He takes the guitar from me and asks how long I've been playing. 'Not long.' I say. 'Will this be your first instrument Sir?' He asks. 'Yes.' I say. He is now sitting on the stool and begins to play. I have no idea what he is playing, but it's not Lennon and McCartney or the Birds. I am absolutely stunned that such beautifull music can come from a piece of wood with pieces of wire and plastic attached. After a few minutes, he stops and I am left speachless! He walks to the counter with the guitar, searches there for a few seconds and finds a carrying case. Puts the guitar inside, puts a set of pitch pipes in the pocket of the case and looks at me over the rim of his spectacles. 'That will be £13 exactly young Sir. Keep practising and above all! Enjoy playing.' I rush over to the counter scrabbling in my pocket for the money I have carefully folded away! I am still stunned and can't believe my luck! I have just obtained about 20 quids worth of gear for 13!

Two things happened to me that day. First, I became the owner of my first guitar. Second, I realised there was more to music than the Beatles and Top of the Pops..

Steve.

• Like 1

I have enjoyed this topic so much, more so than many I have read in a long time.  

I grew up in a semi musical family, that is to say my mother played piano and sang.  All of us kids got piano lessons growing up.  I can still hear mom saying "that's not right, do it again".  By the time it was my turn for lessons i pretty much knew what to expect and how it was going to turn out.  It just so happened that I would get a little help in deciding that I didn't want to take lessons anymore when on the ride home from the instructors house after lessons one evening, a young man blew through a stop sign and met us in the middle of the intersection.  

The first time time I woke up, a man I didn't know was covering me with his jacket. The next time I woke up I was in an ambulance.  To this day I don't like driving through that intersection.  But for sure, at 10 years old I wanted nothing more to do with piano lessons.  But, for whatever reason, that's about when I started making up words for songs.

i know them as lyrics now, but back then I wasn't writing them down.  I would just sing them to melodies.  Not on purpose, there was no forethought involved, I would just sing what came out.  This has gone on my whole life it seems.

much later in my life now, my hands are not the nimble, trainable appendages they once were, and I find myself wanting to put music to words.  Words that came from not playing.  I have no idea at all and probably couldn't come close to guessing how many melodies have come and gone without music around them, or how many lyrics were sung but never written down, but I'm trying to limit those lost moments now.  I only hope my laptop holds out long enough for me to get through my to-do list.

• Like 4

On 08/05/2017 at 1:45 AM, Steve said:

Two things happened to me that day. First, I became the owner of my first guitar. Second, I realised there was more to music than the Beatles and Top of the Pops..

Steve.

Turns out, these next door neighbour stories are very uniquely interesting! Thanks, Steve... loved your storytelling. I felt transported to a different era complete with a grandfather-like figure for a salesman (wonder if we get them these days)!

On 08/05/2017 at 3:12 AM, Jenn said:

i dont know. i would like to say that i had a grand awakening a year and a half ago, but i think i've always had it.

Jenn, you are so young; it's great to see the awareness you already have and the active steps that you are taking towards it :)

22 hours ago, McnaughtonPark said:

But, for whatever reason, that's about when I started making up words for songs.

Tom, it's fascinating how shock or trauma, when given the right outlet, can manifest into magical creativity that one never thought he/she possessed! It's even more fascinating when we realize that creativity is the one thing that can never dry up. So, once this journey starts there really can be no looking back!

I had no idea when I started this thread that so many of you would be sharing your stories and nostalgic moments. The flavours may be different yet the underlying passion is very similar. Thanks a lot, people!

• 6 months later...

Once upon a time there was a kid who loved making noise...

I started out playing 'drums' on pot and pans with my Mom's wooden spoons. We had a piano, too, so I used to sit down and make stuff up on it. When one of my Mom's friends commented that I caressed the keyboard instead of banging on it like most kids that age, she started teaching me how to play. I liked improvising and making up my own stuff more than playing the written music.

I picked up trumpet in middle school, and worked my way up to First chair within a year. I was pretty good but it all went to hell in a handbasket when I discovered trumpet was just not 'cool' and that guitar was VERY cool. I talked my parents into buying me a guitar. My first guitar was a cheap acoustic with the action so high you needed a bionic hand to hold down a chord.

My parents refused to buy me an electric guitar so I mowed lawns, saved birthday money, etc. to buy one and an amplifier much to my parents dismay. How did this happen? Our boy transformed from such a talented little musician with his trumpet and piano into demonspawn making ungodly noise on an unholy electric guitar! They hated it. They hated my high school rock band even more despite the fact that we were pretty good and actually got a few paying gigs. Of course, the girls loved it, a bonus I didn't entirely expect at that point...

I ended up getting a bachelor's degree in music, playing 100s of gigs around the Baltimore-Washington,DC circuit, and doing quite a bit of studio work until I ended up on tour for almost 4 years as a guitarist/keyboardist in a World Beat rock-fusion group in the early 90s. Things were going great, and the future looked bright indeed! Everything came crashing down when I was diagnosed with a rare genetic blood disorder that effectively ended my career as a performance musician.

With many fits and starts, I finally put together a system that allowed me to do everything myself and record my own tunes. So, for the last year and a half I have been writing and recording, and assaulting your ears with my tunes every chance I get!

--TC

• Like 4

I love hearing the stories of how everyone got into music!

• Like 2

Wow.. so nice to see this thread come alive after a long time! Do keep them coming, people!

I actually think this is quite a gem. Songstuff can pull out some amazing stories from here and pay tribute to it's talented, long-standing members :)

Dek's story could probably be the cover feature ;)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...

I remember well as a young boy sitting in a darkened living room in the silvery glow of a black and white television as the Beatles made their first USA appearance on the Ed Sullivan show. My life was immediately changed. In my late teens up into my 30's I was ALWAYS being told I looked like Paul McCartney! I loved it. The first Christmas after the Beatles first arrived here my dad bought me a Gibson Melody Maker electric guitar and amp. The "hood" (early terminology for juvenile delinquent) up the street, a guy named Donnie, stopped by one day when I was set up on the porch playing. He took my guitar and blasted through some rockabilly stuff I later begged him to teach me. Soon after that he held a place of respect at our home and my dad's opinion of him changed dramatically. Suddenly his crass tattoos didn't mean anything anymore. I owe him my first start on guitar.

Years later in my 20's I ended up moving in with an uncle by Louisville, Kentucky. We used to go to a club downtown along the Ohio River called The Great Midwestern Bluegrass Club. It was there I first met a young Ricky Skaggs playing with his band Boone Creek. He sat at our table between sets and very soon after that I lusted for a Martin guitar. Imagine my shock a few years later when I was watching EmmyLou Harris on tv and saw Ricky in her band. The Martin didn't come about until I was 30 years old and got sidetracked into years of bluegrass. I've gone through a 22 year long bout of 18 major abdominal surgeries. Since I've been self employed my whole life, the Martin was the only thing of value I could sell during a long recovery to catch up the mortgage payment. When it was gone I made a bitter vow I would never play guitar again.

I stayed true to that for about 10 years until one day my oldest son commented I had lost my musical soul. I remember well the sting of that remark. I soon acquired some cheap acoustic I was never motivated much to play. Certainly not enough to ever acquire my bluegrass chops again. I plodded along about another 20 years going from one undesirable acoustic after another. Finally, a wealthy friend who was dying of cancer informed me he was willing me his favorite guitar of his collection. A 1982 Yairi super abalone he went to Japan in 1982 and directly commissioned from Kazuo Yairi himself. Shortly after my friend passed and I had the incredible Yairi I was invited to a weekly jam session I've been attending for over a year. An 83 year old Tele picker there who is a legendary Texas picker suggested someone write some new songs for the group to learn. I jumped right in and have been bringing one or two new songs a week for several months now.

I'm getting very positive response to my songs at a songwriter circle/open mic I also attend weekly. I've begun recording professional demos at a friend's studio. Fortunately, he's able to transform my subpar singing voice into something you can actually tolerate. At age 65 and comfortably retired from my business I have no aspirations of anything coming from it. But ya never know do you? Oh yeah, a sad note to mention. In June of this year my wife and I were rear ended by a truck while stopped in construction traffic while on an out of state trip. My wife and I both ended up with broken backs. Since then I've had a spinal fusion surgery in my neck and am awaiting rod placement surgery in my lower back. The driver who hit us never touched his brakes and the highway patrolman estimated his speed at over 55 mph. He was cited for being at fault. To me, a tragic outcome was the glorious Yairi was demolished in the wreck. Since my attorney has promised me a very substantial settlement is coming my way before long, I plan to send the Yairi to a Martin restoration expert who saw pics of the Yairi and said he could make it a survivor for $800 in 4 or 5 months. I'm definitely planning to do this. In the meantime, I recently acquired a 2016 limited edition Gibson custom shop advanced jumbo with big leaf maple back and sides. It almost compares to the matured voice of the Yairi and I'm very motivated to play and write with it. That's where I am with music now.

Edited by DaveKell
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, DaveKell said:

I remember well as a young boy sitting in a darkened living room in the silvery glow of a black and white television as the Beatles made their first USA appearance on the Ed Sullivan show. My life was immediately changed. In my late teens up into my 30's I was ALWAYS being told I looked like Paul McCartney! I loved it. The first Christmas after the Beatles first arrived here my dad bought me a Gibson Melody Maker electric guitar and amp. The "hood" (early terminology for juvenile delinquent) up the street, a guy named Donnie, stopped by one day when I was set up on the porch playing. He took my guitar and blasted through some rockabilly stuff I later begged him to teach me. Soon after that he held a place of respect at our home and my dad's opinion of him changed dramatically. Suddenly his crass tattoos didn't mean anything anymore. I owe him my first start on guitar.

Years later in my 20's I ended up moving in with an uncle by Louisville, Kentucky. We used to go to a club downtown along the Ohio River called The Great Midwestern Bluegrass Club. It was there I first met a young Ricky Skaggs playing with his band Boone Creek. He sat at our table between sets and very soon after that I lusted for a Martin guitar. Imagine my shock a few years later when I was watching EmmyLou Harris on tv and saw Ricky in her band. The Martin didn't come about until I was 30 years old and got sidetracked into years of bluegrass. I've gone through a 22 year long bout of 18 major abdominal surgeries. Since I've been self employed my whole life, the Martin was the only thing of value I could sell during a long recovery to catch up the mortgage payment. When it was gone I made a bitter vow I would never play guitar again.

I stayed true to that for about 10 years until one day my oldest son commented I had lost my musical soul. I remember well the sting of that remark. I soon acquired some cheap acoustic I was never motivated much to play. Certainly not enough to ever acquire my bluegrass chops again. I plodded along about another 20 years going from one undesirable acoustic after another. Finally, a wealthy friend who was dying of cancer informed me he was willing me his favorite guitar of his collection. A 1982 Yairi super abalone he went to Japan in 1982 and directly commissioned from Kazuo Yairi himself. Shortly after my friend passed and I had the incredible Yairi I was invited to a weekly jam session I've been attending for over a year. An 83 year old Tele picker there who is a legendary Texas picker suggested someone write some new songs for the group to learn. I jumped right in and have been bringing one or two new songs a week for several months now.

I'm getting very positive response to my songs at a songwriter circle/open mic I also attend weekly. I've begun recording professional demos at a friend's studio. Fortunately, he's able to transform my subpar singing voice into something you can actually tolerate. At age 65 and comfortably retired from my business I have no aspirations of anything coming from it. But ya never know do you? Oh yeah, a sad note to mention. In June of this year my wife and I were rear ended by a truck while stopped in construction traffic while on an out of state trip. My wife and I both ended up with broken backs. Since then I've had a spinal fusion surgery in my neck and am awaiting rod placement surgery in my lower back. The driver who hit us never touched his brakes and the highway patrolman estimated his speed at over 55 mph. He was cited for being at fault. To me, a tragic outcome was the glorious Yairi was demolished in the wreck. Since my attorney has promised me a very substantial settlement is coming my way before long, I plan to send the Yairi to a Martin restoration expert who saw pics of the Yairi and said he could make it a survivor for $800 in 4 or 5 months. I'm definitely planning to do this. In the meantime, I recently acquired a 2016 limited edition Gibson custom shop advanced jumbo with big leaf maple back and sides. It almost compares to the matured voice of the Yairi and I'm very motivated to play and write with it. That's where I am with music now.

Nicely told Dave. I have a spinal injury myself, neck and lower back, several operations blah blah, so I quite literally feel your pain. Or at least I get it. I you both get back to some normality as soon as possible and I look forward to hearing that Yairi when it comes back to you as a playable instrument once more.

On 9/29/2018 at 12:53 PM, john said:

Nicely told Dave. I have a spinal injury myself, neck and lower back, several operations blah blah, so I quite literally feel your pain. Or at least I get it. I you both get back to some normality as soon as possible and I look forward to hearing that Yairi when it comes back to you as a playable instrument once more.

I'm sorry to hear you went through something similar. I used to work out four days a week at a gym for over two years. That's out the window now and man am I ever going downhill! The accident drastically altered our lifestyle. There's no price you can put on that. My attorney is  in a big law firm with about 50 lawyers in Houston. Said I'm looking at a settlement amount they'll probably feature on their website. Whatever it is it won't be enough to compensate for what we're enduring now. Before they took us away in an ambulance I asked a fireman there what could be done with my valuable vintage guitar (I didn't know yet it was horribly crushed) because I didn't want it sitting out in the heat wherever they were towing our totaled car to. He offered to take it to the fire station in town. I went to retrieve it the next morning and nearly vomited when I opened the case in the lobby of the building. A gloriously matured custom ordered guitar appeared to me to beyond repair. Someone on a guitar forum recommended a guy in Missouri to me. I contacted him and learned he worked for 22 years in the repair department of Martin Guitar Co. I sent him several detailed pics of the guitar and he quoted $800 and 4 or 5 months to restore it. I was surprised he said he rarely replaces any of the original wood since the sides of my guitar are crushed and splintered. He sent me pics of a Martin that looked like it had been run over by a farm tractor and also the pics of it restored with all the splintered wood. It looked nearly new. He has several highly satisfied customers.

The Yairi I had was the most prominent voice in a room with about a dozen high end Martin, Gibson and Taylor guitars at my weekly jam. I was always being asked what I'd sell it for. I put that to rest once when I said I wouldn't trade it even for all the other guitars in the room. It offended a few people but I meant it. Everybody was always asking to play it. It's a beautiful guitar with enough abalone inlay for 3 more guitars and a sound that should be reserved for the gods. As soon as my settlement comes it's going straight to Missouri. It'll be the longest 4 or 5 months of my life waiting for it but I owe it to my deceased friend to make it a survivor. I literally played it several times every day I had it. Seemed like it played me! I only have one song recorded with it on my soundcloud recordings. You can go to soundcloud.com and do a search for DaveKellems. The song is called AnnaLou if ya wanna check it out. I'll be recording my first cd with it soon as I get it back. My new Gibson advanced jumbo is filling in adequately for now but still doesn't do for me what the Kazuo Yairi commissioned guita does!

Anyway, I hope you are finally doing okay with your back issues. So far I've had a spinal fusion in my neck that relieved pain that made sleep nearly impossible. I'm sure I don't have to tell you the rest!