Richard Tracey

Midnight Hour (updated 27/02/2017)

Richard Tracey    289

********* Hi all - I have added an updated version of the song within the topic and left the original here if anyone wants to listen to it... Cheers ********

Hi all - it's a bit quiet in here at the moment.

Finally managed to find time to sit down and try and come up with something new - started this today. I like the little middle 8 (**cough**) bit and would like to work out how to get it to fit, as it sticks out like a sore thumb at the moment.

Just looking for feedback and crits on music and lyrics. Also on how the mix is sounding at the moment. Cheers

https://soundcloud.com/moodman-1/midnight-hour-24022017-2235/s-TN04a

MIDNIGHT HOUR (music/lyrics by Richard Tracey)

V1

How do you say you're sorry

When there's nothing left to say

Do you feel your life has been complete

When you've given it all away

V2

All the questions needing answers

Are just left there in the wind

All the righteous and the pious

Take no notice that you've sinned

CHORUS

In the Midnight Hour

You will come alive

In the Midnight Hour

You'll block out all the cries

In the Midnight Hour

The truth is clear to see

In the Midnight Hour

Is when you are truly free

V3

All the things you're thinking

They don't make sense to me

All the battles you have lost

Resigned to history

But still a twinkle

Is burning in your eyes

No time to dwell on

A life built on all your lies

CHORUS

In the Midnight Hour

You will come alive

In the Midnight Hour

You'll block out all the cries

In the Midnight Hour

In the Midnight Hour

Is when you are truly free

• Like 1

TCgypsy    114

Dark tapestry woven with a retro vibe.

This is a pretty good start you got here. The biggest thing it needs is a killer arrangement. I would consider this:

Intro

V1

V2

C

V3 (but make this same length as the other two verses. I would end on "Resigned to history" and go to chorus)

C

Instrumental (Some cool synth and/or guitar here would work)

V4 (not sure you need verse 4 here; my inclination is to leave it out)

C

Outro

Losing the second half of V3 (which is really a V4) is not going to detract at all, imo. TBH, I am not crazy about the line "But still a twinkle is burning in your eyes." By the way, you could alternately make the last line in V3 "All the battles you have fought; resigned to history" (instead of lost). 

It's a bit repetitious, especially in the chorus. I am not sure I would use "In the Midnight Hour" 4 times in a row. However, with a more complete production including harmonies, this might work fine.

I hope this helps!

Peace,

TC

• Like 2

Richard Tracey    289

Cheers TC - I am going to work on the arrangement today, so will look at your idea. I have already moved the middle 8 to the outro and did a new middle 8 and added some extra instrumentation. I am just trying to get the middle 8 right as it sounds almost soundtrack in style.

I just noticed the V3 is looking like the same length as the other verses due to the number of lines (the music is the length of 1 verse though), this is because I changed up the singing style for V3. I will look at your idea as the song seems quite long at the moment, so could be reduced.

I am looking to do some kind of harmonics in the chorus, so will see if that works before changing up the lyrics.

I like the 'fought' instead of 'lost' and ending on 'resigned to history'.

Have you worked out what the song is about? This is one of the lyrics I end up writing after adlibbing and realising that it has a subtext.

ImKeN    274

Cool song idea, Richard. I like the intro and verse melody, it really sets the mood of the song quite nicely! I'm not so sure about that chorus, though. Also, the drums is a little quiet so you might wanna look into that when you make the next recording.

I agree with the song structure that TC, suggested :)

I'll save some feedback for after you post an update.

All the best,

Ken

• Like 1

Richard Tracey    289
22 minutes ago, ImKeN said:

Cool song idea, Richard. I like the intro and verse melody, it really sets the mood of the song quite nicely! I'm not so sure about that chorus, though. Also, the drums is a little quiet so you might wanna look into that when you make the next recording.

I agree with the song structure that TC, suggested :)

I'll save some feedback for after you post an update.

All the best,

Ken

Cheers Ken - I am going to work on this tonight (the wife has a friend round for a catch-up so I am going to use that as an excuse to spend time in the studio!!). I'll fix the drum level, it is a bit on the low side.

Matthew76    232

Beautiful piece with a moving singing...

This is quiet and sad at the same time...

Really like this feeling of melancholy we can feel by listening it...

Brilliant song, Richard...

• Like 1

Richard Tracey    289
48 minutes ago, Matthew76 said:

Beautiful piece with a moving singing...

This is quiet and sad at the same time...

Really like this feeling of melancholy we can feel by listening it...

Brilliant song, Richard...

Cheers Matthew, your comment means a lot.

shadowfax    48

A melancholy song...crying out for some harmonies IMHO, I don't think the very sombre instrumental bit from around 3.12 is necessary, seems to take it to another place..

• Like 1

Richard Tracey    289
4 minutes ago, shadowfax said:

A melancholy song...crying out for some harmonies IMHO, I don't think the very sombre instrumental bit from around 3.12 is necessary, seems to take it to another place..

Cheers shadowfax, yeah, I am trying to come up with some harmony ideas for this as it is screaming out for them. The instrumental part has been moved to the end, I am trying out a different middle 8 idea at the moment and changing up a couple of the lyrics now that I have had a chance to live with it for a couple of days. Just need to find some time to record some new vocals.

shadowfax    48

it's worth the effort my friend..

• Like 1

Richard Tracey    289
7 minutes ago, shadowfax said:

it's worth the effort my friend..

I hope so, I am really feeling this one. It flowed really quickly and the main song was finished in about 15 minutes... it's just that pesky middle 8 that I'm struggling with.

cutaia    142

I do like the chord progression of the bridge.  Obviously it's a little too sparse, so the suggestion of adding some some lead instrumentation is good.  Also, the transition back to the chorus is pretty sudden.  Maybe that could be fixed by the instrumentation being added.  Or maybe a quick little drum fill?

Sounds like you're already doing a lot to this based on feedback, so I'll see how it's sounding when you post and update.

• Like 1

Richard Tracey    289

Hi all - I have managed to find some time to do a new vocal with a slight change to some of the lyrics. Still not happy with the vocal, but it is still a guide at the moment. Again, if anyone would like to offer any critique, it would be much appreciated... Cheers

I tried the shorter v3, but after numerous attempts I just couldn't get it to sound right and it was far too short when I removed the second section of what is meant to be one verse, it disrupted the flow of the song.

https://soundcloud.com/moodman-1/midnight-hour-alt-27022017-2049/s-timNT

MIDNIGHT HOUR (music/lyrics by Richard Tracey)

V1

How do you say you're sorry

When there's nothing left to say

Do you feel your life has been complete

When you've given it all away

V2

All the questions needing answers

Are just left there in the wind

All the righteous and the pious

Take no notice that you've sinned

CHORUS

In the Midnight Hour

You will come alive

In the Midnight Hour

Blocking out the silent cries

In the Midnight Hour

In the Midnight Hour

The time to be truly free

V3

All the things you're thinking

They don't make sense to me

All the battles you have fought

Resigned to history

But still a fire

Is burning in your eyes

No time to dwell on

A life built on all your lies

CHORUS

In the Midnight Hour

You will come alive

In the Midnight Hour

Blocking out the silent cries

In the Midnight Hour

In the Midnight Hour

The time to be truly free

• Like 1

Richard Tracey    289
5 hours ago, cutaia said:

I do like the chord progression of the bridge.  Obviously it's a little too sparse, so the suggestion of adding some some lead instrumentation is good.  Also, the transition back to the chorus is pretty sudden.  Maybe that could be fixed by the instrumentation being added.  Or maybe a quick little drum fill?

Sounds like you're already doing a lot to this based on feedback, so I'll see how it's sounding when you post and update.

Cheers cutaia - I moved that bridge to the end of the song as a simple kind of outro. I tried several different middle 8 / bridge parts and wasn't happy with any of them.. so the one that is there now is staying unless I have a sudden rush of inspiration.

Matthew76    232

Nice this version...

More I listen the way you sing more I think to some songs of A-Ha in this kind of atmosphere...

Great work again, Richard!