ImKeN

One Life - **BACK IN THE LAB**

18 posts in this topic

Thanks for the critiques so far, guys! I'm gonna temporarily close this thread while I work on the vocal melodies. I'll be back, once I have some new developments to share with you all.

Thanks,

Ken

This is a rough track idea I started working on, today. I was looking to make a vocal melody for a lyric but one thing led to another and I somehow ended up with a track idea. It doesn't have a bridge right now but so far there's a verse/pre-chorus/chorus/verse/pre-chorus/chorus section.

I would like to know whether it sounds too dated, to you? Any and all critique, please.

Thanks!

Ken

Edited by ImKeN
1 person likes this

Dude I honestly love it! I definitely don't think its too "dated" and even if it does kind of have those vibes, they may be making a comeback. I mean look at Katy Perry's "Chained to the Rhythm"... That is screaming retro haha!

Well done man!

1 person likes this

10 hours ago, ImKeN said:

Hi all,

This is a rough track idea I started working on, today. I was looking to make a vocal melody for a lyric but one thing led to another and I somehow ended up with a track idea. It doesn't have a bridge right now but so far there's a verse/pre-chorus/chorus/verse/pre-chorus/chorus section.

I would like to know whether it sounds too dated, to you? Any and all critique, please.

Thanks!

Ken

https://soundcloud.com/imken-2/one-life-track-idea/s-qU2w8

Ken - this is really good - I like the retro style and I had so many vocal ideas floating about listening to it. Can't critique too much on the song as it is still a work in progress and you are obviously looking to add more, but it has a lovely melody going on and the chorus is excellent. Well done.

1 person likes this

10 hours ago, brycebad said:

Dude I honestly love it! I definitely don't think its too "dated" and even if it does kind of have those vibes, they may be making a comeback. I mean look at Katy Perry's "Chained to the Rhythm"... That is screaming retro haha!

Well done man!

Brycebad, thank you so much for taking the time to listen and comment. I'm glad it didn't sound too retro to you! Thanks :)

I just heard that Katy Perry song and it was pretty heavy on the retro side - it reminded me of a remix by TRONICBOX(attached).

Thanks for the feedback, man.

Ken  

PS - I really liked your pop/dance song idea, as well!

4 hours ago, Richard Tracey said:

Ken - this is really good - I like the retro style and I had so many vocal ideas floating about listening to it. Can't critique too much on the song as it is still a work in progress and you are obviously looking to add more, but it has a lovely melody going on and the chorus is excellent. Well done.

Thank you for the feedback, Richard. I'm glad you enjoyed it! 

The general rhythm/vibe came from a guitar riff idea for a lyric I was working on. However, I can't help but think that Lana Del Ray's song, 'Love,' which I heard the night before(repeatedly) influenced this track a little. My friend tells me that it sounds nothing like it, so I might be over thinking a little bit lol

Yes, I will continue working on this and might even change up the bass rhythm a little in some sections but I'll wait 'till after I get a few more critiques here.

Thanks for the listen, man.

Ken

Edited by ImKeN

Cool atmosphere on this track, Ken...

Really like the sound of the drums and the harmony with the bass...

It sounds cool for me...

Nice start, I find...

1 person likes this

Like the sound so far..needs a song on it!! who cares if it sounds dated? which it doesn't  IMHO..good stuff!!

1 person likes this

It's only gonna sound dated if the vocal you add to it is too retro.  With a nice modern sounding vocal on this, it's gonna sound really awesome.

1 person likes this

I don't believe good songs and music are dated just like a good whiskey you keep going back and having a dram or two

1 person likes this

On 2017/2/27 at 3:21 PM, Matthew76 said:

Cool atmosphere on this track, Ken...

Really like the sound of the drums and the harmony with the bass...

It sounds cool for me...

Nice start, I find...

22 hours ago, shadowfax said:

Like the sound so far..needs a song on it!! who cares if it sounds dated? which it doesn't  IMHO..good stuff!!

14 hours ago, cutaia said:

It's only gonna sound dated if the vocal you add to it is too retro.  With a nice modern sounding vocal on this, it's gonna sound really awesome.

6 hours ago, Stacey said:

I don't believe good songs and music are dated just like a good whiskey you keep going back and having a dram or two

Thank you guys so much for the feedback! I'm gonna go back to the lyrics that inspired all of this(the track) and work on a vocal melody.

Matthew: The drums is from LogicX's Drummer Plug-in. The, fullstrings-cinemastrings-cello-deepwavebass harmony, was added to the chorus to give it a fat and heavy, presence. I'm impressed that you picked it up right off the bat, most of it was quite subtle, stuff! Good ears, bro :)

Shadowfax: I'll get to working on the vocals, now! Thanks for the feedback :)

Cutaia: A nice modern sounding vocal is the key ingredient! I'm gonna pray tonight, to the god who gave Paul McCartney the 'Yesterday' vocal melody! Just kidding...Hahaha.......Hmm :eusa_think:

Stacey: Uh... I don't like hard stuff... Thanks for the compliment? :D

Thanks again, all.

Ken

I like this, and started writing a chorus lol! 

With a one line pre as well.

good luck Ken post the finished song.

Les

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, Skin said:

I like this, and started writing a chorus lol! 

With a one line pre as well.

good luck Ken post the finished song.

Les

Thanks, Les! Yeah, I'm still trying to fit some lyrics to this track. I've been focussing on other songs that I'm working on, so things are a little slow for this one. If things don't go well, I just might come back to you and others for some vocal ideas :)

Thanks for the luck, I'll be needing it.

Ken

Sent a pm.

Hi Ken, listened to your track and really liked it... especially the chorus :)  I can sort of picture deep, haunting vocals with the synth. Don't know about the "dated" part; and it's best if we don't treat music as fashion, which is also pretty cyclical in nature :D

I just felt that the first verse starts a little abruptly after the first 2-3 seconds.. could be the beats used. Maybe you can choose a softer beat in the first quartet that slowly builds up the crescendo towards the chorus.. just my thoughts :)

Wish you all the best!

1 person likes this

12 hours ago, Sreyashi Mukherjee said:

Hi Ken, listened to your track and really liked it... especially the chorus :)  I can sort of picture deep, haunting vocals with the synth. Don't know about the "dated" part; and it's best if we don't treat music as fashion, which is also pretty cyclical in nature :D

I just felt that the first verse starts a little abruptly after the first 2-3 seconds.. could be the beats used. Maybe you can choose a softer beat in the first quartet that slowly builds up the crescendo towards the chorus.. just my thoughts :)

Wish you all the best!

Thanks for the critique, Sreyashi! I'm glad you enjoyed the beat, I have updated it since and Im also working on the vocal melodies now - I will post it up for further critiques in the near future. 

Verse one starts around 0:23 and everything before that is the intro but I understand what you mean and I think it is an idea that is worth trying. The only problem is, my skills are pretty limited so I don't know if I can make it happen. I will try, though :)

Thanks for the great, feedback!

Ken

Thanks for the critiques so far, everyone!

I will close this thread for now to work on further developments of the track/song, and will come back for more critiques later on!

Thank you so much,

Ken

this instrumental is epic bro! id love to rap over this. the drop with the crash could be a tiny bit tighter maybe 

best beat iv heard in a while!! please please please can i use this?

I think you owe me royalties for using "Back In The Lab."  :)