Steve Mueske

Aletheia (final version of 11 edphi piece - 3.11.17)

27 posts in this topic

Hi, here is the final version of my song Aletheia (11 edphi electro xen, etc.) I say "final" because it is the final end-to-end version, though I can and most likely will tweak things in the mix and/or master).

Edited by Steve Mueske
Updated file and link
1 person likes this

This is the one and only time I'm going to bump this. I suspect this may have been missed due to the recent board moves.

Hi Steve - I've tried to listen to this, but it says it has an error when trying to play.

Hmm, I just clicked on the link and it played. Maybe try again? Is anyone else having this trouble?

I'm still getting a loading error. Could you attach the SoundCloud player to the post and I can see if it plays in the browser. Cheers

I don't know how to do what you are asking. I normally just post the URL and it automatically just inserts a player. This time, for some reason, it didn't. I'll try editing the post and adding the link again to see if it will produce a player.

I deleted the embedded link and added the URL manually. This time it generated a player. Does it work now?

Impressive work, as always...

This sound is so brilliant...

Really love the way you built your pieces...

The passage at 1:11 is great...

Congrats for this track, Steve!

1 person likes this

Works now, thanks.

going to review while I'm listening.

Wow, that start is amazing... really good. Kind of reminds me of the music Depeche Mode would do on their b-sides when they did experimental type instrumentals.

The sounds are fantastic and it sounds so crisp and clear.

After the second part, I was hoping you would go back to the beginning part again, is this your intention?

This sounds really promising and at 3 minutes sounds far too short.

Listened again as I absolutely love the part at the start. It wouldn't sound out of place on a soundtrack.

The drums sound really good, are they a loop or did you program them yourself?

What package did you use for the sounds, they are fantastic?

meant to add the arrangement and sounds, have an almost Aphex Twin vibe to it. Is this going to be part of an EP/album?

Okay, I can't stop listening... I really wish that beginning part was a lot longer as it feels like it switches way too early.

Now, this is my kind of music and you have given me a bit of inspiration for a piano pice I started a couple of nights ago and didn't know what to do with.

Man, that is brilliant. I can only agree with the other comments saying it could use more of the same (longer please).

Posted (edited)

Matthew:

Thank you so much for your comments! Glad you like what I have so far.

Richard:

Thanks for pointing out the loading error and for hanging in there with me. I'll try to answer your questions, if I can.

"After the second part, I was hoping you would go back to the beginning part again, is this your intention?"

I've done that several times in the past, usually with a key or mode change. I have some ideas. At the least, I'll reintroduce some of the earlier sounds. I have an idea for some radical glitching and sound design, but I don't quite know yet, architecturally speaking, how to approach it.

"This sounds really promising and at 3 minutes sounds far too short."

It will be longer, but I have no idea how much longer yet.

"The drums sound really good, are they a loop or did you program them yourself?"

I program everything. I never use loops.

"What package did you use for the sounds, they are fantastic?"

Not sure what you are asking. I use Reaper for a DAW. The synths are Predator 2 and Blue 2, tuned using a Scala file, with a base of 432 Hz. Reverb is Aether. Delays are Sonitus and Unfiltered Audio. Filters are Fabfilter Volcano and Simplon. EQs are Sonalksis. Compressors are Cakewalk and Nomad Factory. Drums are Battery, Tremor, and Reason. Multi-band distortion is Ohmicide.

"Meant to add the arrangement and sounds, have an almost Aphex Twin vibe to it. Is this going to be part of an EP/album?"

Hopefully it will be on an EP or album at some point. I work very slowly, however, so unless it shows up on a compilation, it will probably be a few years. My last album, which you can download for free, if you want, is here.

http://split-notes.com/muesk-eventual/

"Okay, I can't stop listening... I really wish that beginning part was a lot longer as it feels like it switches way too early."

I will probably come back and think more about the beginning after I work through the next section. I'm trying to work as organically as possible.

"Now, this is my kind of music and you have given me a bit of inspiration for a piano pice I started a couple of nights ago and didn't know what to do with."

Thank you so much! I am so happy to hear this. I'm really looking forward to hearing more of your work.

Leo:

Thank you very much for listening and commenting! I do intend to keep working on it. My last piece was just over five minutes. I'd like to ballpark this for the same length, but we'll see. It's just whatever feels right.

Steve

Edited by Steve Mueske
typo
1 person likes this

Cheers for the update Steve. I'll have a look at Predator 2 and Blue 2 - the rest of the stuff you do is far too technical for me at the moment, I hardly look past the presets.

great song i love the first part id like to rap over it, its deffo my style of beat. if i was making a rap over it i gues the second part could be used for a talking segment, which then drops back in.

im quite surprised i found two incredible beats today that id like to use, im usually so fussy that i could skip through 50 beats just to find one i like lol

Hey, thanks for listening and commenting! Glad you like the beat.

Steve

wow - this is really nice Steve. I love that slightly off key air to the intro section - very cool.

Thanks for listening! Very much appreciated.

I have added a new render, 3.6.17. Link in original post.

Sounds fantastic Steve. I especially like the atmosphere when it comes back in... whatever you're doing to get that feeling of depth is very trippy, I feel like I'm right in the scene. I really like the kind of trip hop vibe it hints at sometimes too....although it made me wish it would lead into a song with some soulful female vocals. You really changed my listening mood. Inspirational actually.

Excellent as always. Sorry I have no useful critique... I just couldn't think of anything to nit pick about.

Very cool, Steve.  I confess that the pad in the intro that just hints at locking in on key kind of tortures me and my musical ear - no doubt, as intended.  :)

Is there any way you can adjust the opening reverse-sounding synth so that when it ends and echoes there isn't so much of of click/pop at the end?  I think that might sound "better."  I dunno.

Good Stuff, Bro - as always.

Fantastic track Steve, but still feels too short for my taste and the beginning part needs to be longer.

Have you tried changing it about and moving the beginning part further into the track and have the part about 1.10 as the beginning? That way you could extend that lovely beginning part for another 2 or 3 minutes ;)

Dek:

Thank you so much for dropping by and having a listen. I appreciate your time and the good words.

David:

Ha! I hear you. This is a weird temperament, there are no true octaves. There is a lot of shit going on to mess with timing and timbre. The lead reverb synth (which is the one I think you're talking about, unless you mean that very first rising chord, which is a pad) just sounds so incredibly sad to me. I don't know what that click is; it certainly shouldn't be there. It must be some kind of problem with audio not cut at a zero crossing. Thanks for listening and commenting.

Richard:

Back again, eh? I appreciate it. I haven't thought about changing the arrangement because the parts are in different time signatures and have different feels. I do think the piece should be longer, but am unsure what to do right now. Trying to finish it up to send to another microtonal comp. We'll see what happens. Thanks much!

1 person likes this

Final version posted in original thread.

1 person likes this

Mind, blown! What a cool piece of music.

I can easily imagine the different sections(I hear at least 4 sections) in this piece being used in separate scenes for a sic-fi, "Alien" type of film, or, TV shows about the supernatural(there are lots of those, I believe), or, something game related. Not only bgm, it could easily work as an experimental type song as well! Loads of potential, yeah.

All the best with the mixing/mastering, I know it'll be great!

Ken

1 person likes this

ImKen, thank you for listening and commenting. Much appreciated. Just as an FYI, I never write with a movie, game, or BG idea in mind. I do hope that the music stands on its own and that listeners are "intentional". Having said that, I do hope that the music is useful in freeing the imagination to daydream.

On 11 March 2017 at 6:43 PM, Steve Mueske said:

Final version posted in original thread.

Not sure what you've changed since I last listened...but I checked it out again and it still sounds great!

2 minutes ago, Steve Mueske said:

I never write with a movie, game, or BG idea in mind. I do hope that the music stands on its own and that listeners are "intentional"

Noticed this reply to Ken. And just wanted to say... for me, you achieved that! Absolutely takes me into a dream world and keeps my interest. And with instrumental/ambient music I think it's not so easy but really crucial that it works with headphones on and eyes shut!  :) 

Dek, I worked on the tone of the lead synth, made a lot of little automation adjustments, added a tiny amount of reverb on the main drums, and added the reprise at the end (in a different key). Thank you for coming back, and for letting me know your thoughts. I am grateful for so many people here!