Your Ad Could Be Here

Please Read - Board Changes?

Future Of The Rap & Hip Hop Board  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Do we merge the Rap & Hip Hop content, or keep a separate area?

• Yes, please merge
    • No, keep a separate area
    • Don't care, either way works for me.

Hi Gang

The Rap & Hip Hop board was created separately for two reasons:

• It was requested by members
  • Frequently lyrics were adut themed or some contained other parental advisory elements etc.

I thought I would ask you what you wanted and then try to give you that. :)

This board is meant to be non-public. ie only registered members can see it to at least stop young kids accessing it so easily.

I am open to suggestions but we either have

• a public rap & hip hop board that doesn't contain such topics plus a member only rap & hip hop board,

or

• we merge rap & hip hop into the main boards... ie non adult or other parental advisory posts would live in the main "mixed genres" board, and parental advisory posts would go in the "restricted access" board.

There are advantages and disadvantages to both approaches. On balance I think the merged option means you get more reviews.

Your choice!

Please vote asap.

Cheers

John

I would vote to merge, but I'd want a separate  lyric area and there's no option to vote for that so I've not voted..

If prolific lyric writing doesn't fill the board, kocking recordings off the page too quickly, then I'm ok with a merge of everything. 

Personally I'd prefer all recordings together, whether the content is parental advisory or not. I'd only separate if the law dictated... I don't know whether swearing or adult themed words on a forum break any law... but I'd put 'parental advisory' tags on to avoid offending anyone of a very sensitive nature. If it were possible, I'd restrict public access to individual songs based on tags rather than location.

Edited by MonoStone
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MonoStone said:

I would vote to merge, but I'd want a separate  lyric area and there's no option to vote for that so I've not voted..

If prolific lyric writing doesn't fill the board, kocking recordings off the page too quickly, then I'm ok with a merge of everything. 

Personally I'd prefer all recordings together, whether the content is parental advisory or not. I'd only separate if the law dictated... I don't know whether swearing or adult themed words on a forum break any law... but I'd put 'parental advisory' tags on to avoid offending anyone of a very sensitive nature. If it were possible, I'd restrict public access to individual songs based on tags rather than location.

tag based access restrictions are not possible with our software. I am not aware of it being possible on any forums.

The issue is not words, so much as themes and concepts involving things like sexual violence etc which some rap and hip hop (and other genres) songs have a lot of. We can't make absolutely sure kids cannot access such content, but we can make it less accessible. It isn't stopping our members writing that, or anything else, as a creative work, but it is trying to acknowledge it is an issue. We have no convenient watershed cut off.

• Like 1

On the subject of boards, I still don't understand why the lyric board and song board are merged.

If this was how the site was in its original state, I would have long ago suggested that lyrics and music be separated.  Not because I look down on lyrics or think of them in some lesser, opinionated, condescending way,  but for a mechanical reason.  

Its very difficult to rebuild a carburetor while it's still on the motorcycle.  But once it is removed, I have the accessibility and maneuverability to clean or replace the jets or slide without having to deal with any other part of the motor.  Ultimately, its the best way to go about it.

I would like to see all lyrics together, all songs together, and the addition of a melody forum.  Building blocks.  And yes, I separated songs as it's own identity.  

Theres was no point in a lyric critique in the song forum previously.  I know because I criticized lyrics there for years to no avail.  Perhaps one in fifty or so would ever change a single word of their song once it was posted.  I was actually ridiculed for suggesting it.  As if, once the words are in song form, they become untouchable.  I don't expect that to change because that's an attitude and not a function of song form or critique.  

Im not done, I just gotta go for now.  

Peace

No, I was wrong.  I am done.  Since words don't matter anyway.

Edited by McnaughtonPark

There may well be further changes, but after the reaction to the last lot of changes I want to make sure anything we do is supported. I do notice that so far lyricists have not voiced much of an opinion either way.

What would be good is if members spell out what they would like to see along with any reasoning. As ever we can't make everybody happy, but we do want to improve things. That some do not like the changes is apparent, but there have been a number of suggestions for change.

That aside, this poll is specifically about the rap and hip hop boards, which I think can be addressed outwith whether we have a separate lyrics board or not. That is why I asked it as a separate question. I had also asked that members try the current board structure while we sort out what we are going to go ahead with. Things are not set in stone but I think it right to at least take a few days to discuss and decide on future structure.

As much as it would be nice to get more views on this board and have more people taking out time to critique rap, I don't think rap would do well in the mixed genre category. It'd be too foggy for new members who are interested mainly in rap to post on boards where it's mainly singing and poetry. We've a small community on the rap and hip-hop board but it's easier for new members to join and understand "Ok this goes here, perfect!" that's how I started out and how I've enjoyed being on these forums. If other members cared enough for rap they'd check out this section every once and a while. Whoever really cares about this area of the forums is already here, and no merging would make a difference. Just my opinion I hope I made sense. 

I think this topic (in the contest thread) got a bit out off track. For those who don't know, this is what I said commenting on Hobosage who said he tried some rap/hiphop contest before:

@HoboSage too bad to hear this, but if Richard didn't tag me and the others I don't think he would have had too many replies either. The rap/hiphop forum seems something a bit distant (is this the right word??) From the rest of the forum.

I didn't mean to express that I felt that the rap/Hiphop forum didn't get as much attention as it deserved or that I felt it was left aside from the rest of the forums.

What I meant to say that I'm personally not going to read every topic there is on the site. As a hip hop writer I mostly visit this local forum and from time to time the other threads in the writing critiques. When I saw the contest thread only got comments after 4 days because Richard tagged some people from this local forum.

There was no intention at all to critique the way the site is structured or so, it was merely a statement.

As this kind of situations might have happened earlier, maybe an idea is to somehow 'follow' specific tags. For example I follow the tag hiphop and when a member of the site post a thread anywhere on the site and tags it with the hiphop tag I will get a notification. Off course you can make millions of different tags, but maybe there can be made a list with limited amount of tags and which then should be used to get other people involved in your thread.

• Like 1

I don't know that I have a preference for how the forum is set up.  Either way works for me personally as long as the person tags it rap when it's rap.  I have a confession to make:  I have no background of understanding HOW a rap song is formatted and therefore shy away from critiquing.  Rap is also not my preferred genre, though occasionally if the lyrics have substance that is of particular interest to me or has elements in its execution that draw me in, I will listen--not to offend, just not my preference.  What I have recognized is that rap is a great genre for getting the whole of a story across and I view it as having great advocacy potential.  In that light I have respect for the genre and my interest could be increased.  What I would like to see (if not already done and I've not yet discovered it,) is that if it becomes its own separate forum, is to have some sort of guideline for critique with an explanation of the variations (if there are variations) of what to expect in a rap song, how they are structured and what elements one looks for in a good rap song, so that someone like me could make the attempt at effectively giving feedback that would be helpful.  Also, no matter how you do the forums, it would be nice to have tags that indicate if they contain foul language, sexually explicit content, extreme violence, etc., but that should probably be any lyric/song.  Some labels I've seen that just makes one aware of the possibility is NSFW (not safe for work).  That way a viewer who prefers not to hear/see can just stay away from those tagged that way.

8 hours ago, john said:

tag based access restrictions are not possible with our software. I am not aware of it being possible on any forums.

The issue is not words, so much as themes and concepts involving things like sexual violence etc which some rap and hip hop (and other genres) songs have a lot of. We can't make absolutely sure kids cannot access such content, but we can make it less accessible. It isn't stopping our members writing that, or anything else, as a creative work, but it is trying to acknowledge it is an issue. We have no convenient watershed cut off.

Yep, well in that case I'd vote for a restricted area but I think only very strong stuff should be censored, unless you risk legal issues. It would be a shame for songs to be hidden away just because they contain a 'rude word' ;)  And no banning artists for having long hair or for playing the devil's music either!

Reading ahead to boombastic's post below, I have a question - Is there anyway to auto-duplicate topics from a main board to sub boards (and vice versa) based on an option selected by the person starting the topic? If so, everything could be on the main board AND on as many sub boards as you like (for the ease of anyone searching for a genre). Sounds complicated but if the forum is set up with such options it would be easy. 

4 hours ago, boombastic said:

As much as it would be nice to get more views on this board and have more people taking out time to critique rap, I don't think rap would do well in the mixed genre category. It'd be too foggy for new members who are interested mainly in rap to post on boards where it's mainly singing and poetry. We've a small community on the rap and hip-hop board but it's easier for new members to join and understand "Ok this goes here, perfect!" that's how I started out and how I've enjoyed being on these forums. If other members cared enough for rap they'd check out this section every once and a while. Whoever really cares about this area of the forums is already here, and no merging would make a difference. Just my opinion I hope I made sense. 

Something I said in another post (which I think must have been moved somewhere as I can't find it now) is that the split discourages involvement from anyone who's not strictly hip hop. I welcome your feedback on my songs, whatever genre I'm doing...and when hip hop songs were mixed with the rest I commented on them.... but now they're split, to be honest I don't feel like my feedback is welcome (I say that purely because apparently the split was requested by the people making hip hop. Or maybe just by you, I don't know). 

So I totally disagree with your line "Whoever really cares about this area of the forums is already here, and no merging would make a difference"

But here's the thing... IF EVERYONE making hip hop wants to be separated from other genres, fine! There's no point dragging you into the main board if you don't want to be there. 

So the vote should go out to just the people making hip hop, and the final decision should be John's based purely on how it affects the growth/health of the site. I'm not bothered anymore, if people post hip hop on the main board then I'll comment and I always welcome comments from those people on my stuff.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TheSylentType said:

There was no intention at all to critique the way the site is structured or so, it was merely a statement.

I have absolutely no problem with anyone making suggestions for improvements. Your comments and ideas are as welcome as any member :)

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, MonoStone said:

Yep, well in that case I'd vote for a restricted area but I think only very strong stuff should be censored, unless you risk legal issues. It would be a shame for songs to be hidden away just because they contain a 'rude word' ;)  And no banning artists for having long hair or for playing the devil's music either!

Reading ahead to boombastic's post below, I have a question - Is there anyway to auto-duplicate topics from a main board to sub boards (and vice versa) based on an option selected by the person starting the topic? If so, everything could be on the main board AND on as many sub boards as you like (for the ease of anyone searching for a genre). Sounds complicated but if the forum is set up with such options it would be easy.

There is certainly a balance to be had. I wouldn't be infavour of removing a song, but having things in the appropriate place.

I don't think there is an auto duplicate option, indeed most of what we do is about avoiding duplication... but I will look into what 3rd party add ons might yield some useful options.

That aside Dek, I plan to post up a few options for the critique are restructuring, and for other areas of the site tomorrow. :) Hopefully that will help us to have a board that is fit for purpose, in the ways that our members want to use the boards. :)

Thanks for all your input, it has been very useful. The same goes for all of you. Your ideas and comments have helped loads.

Cheers

John

I don't care for the name "restricted" but can't come up with anything better :)

How about

• We merge rap & hip hop into the main boards... All non adult or other non parental advisory posts
  • All parental advisory posts would go in the "restricted access" board.
Edited by Peggy