Your Ad Could Be Here

My First Attempt At A Rap Beat

So here's a track I made yesterday for the fun of it. I don't know much about the modern rap stuff so I watched a few youtube vids before making this track.

Is there anything I should adjust in the mix/arrangement, like is the bass and kick loud enough?

Thanks in advance,

Ken

https://soundcloud.com/imken-2/hiphop_track-masterattempt1/s-8PMeC

• Like 3

Ken - I take it you used the Logic Drummer for this? I did the same thing last week after lol the discussions and used the same drum beat!!!:D

My track ended up a lot darker than yours though.

Was going to try another one this week.

• Like 1

Sounds like a genuine rap beat to me! Maybe more bass?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Richard Tracey said:

Ken - I take it you used the Logic Drummer for this? I did the same thing last week after lol the discussions and used the same drum beat!!!:D

My track ended up a lot darker than yours though.

Was going to try another one this week.

Thanks Richard,

Yes, I did use the drummer plugin lol  I'm still trying to figure out the rhythm/timing for trap beats, I'll start making my own stuff once I do. I'll probably dismantle this track and give it a new beat and some structure - I didn't take the 'rap-song-structure' into consideration before, so I'll have to find out what it is.

Looking forward to hearing your tracks, man.

Ken

4 hours ago, chumpy said:

Sounds like a genuine rap beat to me! Maybe more bass?

Thanks for the feedback, Chumpy.

I'm also thinking that it lacks a heavier bass sound. I'll go back and adjust the sub bass settings to make it "boom" a little more and maybe increase the attack for an extra kick.

Thanks so much for the listen,

Ken

Thanks David, I'll make some adjustments to the bass & kick drums. For a louder kick, I'll add an extra layer or two. I don't know about dub step but for this track I was going for trap hip hop or trap music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzjwdbk-DBM

Yeah, I think I'll simplify the beat a little more and try to make sure I get the number of bars right in each section, as well. 

Thanks for the feedback, man.

Ken

Edited by ImKeN

And another thing to take in mind is, a rap song can feel like it is the same song all the way through, with very little change. The change comes in the dynamic of the rap itself. There can be other instruments added, but again they don't normally change up the music too much, just compliment it.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, HoboSage said:

He again, Bro.  I'm not sure if you intended that as a response to my suggestion about leaving out that one synth until the rap is laid down.  Anyway, I just wanted to clarify that suggestion - not because I'm trying to bully you into following it or anything - but just because I want to be clear with it.

The staccato synth that comes in for the first time at about 0:33 and plays what is essentially the primary musical melody for the track right now, is very "busy," and it sounds to me like it's taking up a lot of the same rhythmic space in the arrangement where the rap's rhythm and and flow may want to go.  A rap is also a kind of busy staccato arrangement needing rhythmic space, and it should have priority in the arrangement.  The other musical sounds - the more legato background synths and the occasional electric guitar broken chords - are not so "busy" and don't take up so much rhythmic space, and they along with the drums+"bass" provide a solid musical background to rap to.  I was just suggesting initially keeping out the potential rhythmic competition to a possible rap from that busier staccato synth arrangement so the rap will have more rhythmic options, and then after the rap's arrangement is determined, go back in and work out the arrangement for that that staccato synth sound to best compliment the rap.

Hey David, sorry for the misunderstanding. I was in a hurry to leave for work so I went with the quick response.

Yes, I did mean it as a general response to your comment on how the rap vocals need to be formed first before any extra sounds. I think I'll just lower the volume on it or something to push it further to the back of the mix, or, substitute it with something much simpler. I won't be adding any rap vocals to it though, I'll keep it an instrumental.

This is all good practice more than anything else, really. I've come across new tips&tricks from hip hop producers who're using LogicPro and I'm learning their approach to mixing as well, so it's quite the rewarding experience.

Thanks again and sorry for the misunderstanding.

1 hour ago, Richard Tracey said:

And another thing to take in mind is, a rap song can feel like it is the same song all the way through, with very little change. The change comes in the dynamic of the rap itself. There can be other instruments added, but again they don't normally change up the music too much, just compliment it.

Noted! I'm in sponge mode right now, just soaking up all that I can, as much as I can. Thanks Richard!

Out of curiosity, what kind of rap artist(s) are you guys listening to, today? I've listened to a few artists during my early teens but the moment I started learning the guitar, I switched to rock music.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, ImKeN said:

Out of curiosity, what kind of rap artist(s) are you guys listening to, today? I've listened to a few artists during my early teens but the moment I started learning the guitar, I switched to rock music.

Dont really listen to rap at all now - I liked it when it was Ice Cube / Dre / Eminem and some Snoop. Not really feeling a lot of the new stuff.

Every time I try something now with the thought of doing a rap/trap track, it always ends up really dark sounding... even when I play major keys/chords!!!

• Like 1

The only rap album I ever bought and bothered to memorize the lyrics was 'My Soul,' by Coolio: the beats sounded quite funky. Another rap song I really liked was Warren G's, 'Regulate.' That's about it.

On 2017/3/8 at 7:35 PM, Richard Tracey said:

Every time I try something now with the thought of doing a rap/trap track, it always ends up really dark sounding... even when I play major keys/chords!!!

Don't judge it, just let it flow. B)

Ken

I grasped the flow of the instrumental almost immediately. Definitely a great freestyle beat man, keep it up!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

pretty cool drum beat the snare has some snap to it.. the hats have a cool trap flavor (along with the snare roll) .. I feel maybe the actual instruments are too quiet.. turn everythng up or use a slight limiter on the master to squash it a tad (calm down mix engineers lol) .. Keep it up its good for a first timer! Peace . OUTSS.

• Like 1

Thanks for the feedback, @outss. I don't know that trick so I'll do some research on it - I got a lot to learn. 

Thanks a lot for the tip, man.

Ken

Your Ad Could Be Here

• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $1,040.00

Important Information

By continuing to use our site you indicate acceptance of our Terms Of Service: Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy: Privacy Policy, our Community Guidelines: Guidelines and our use of Cookies We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.