john

Proposed Board Re-org

Board Re-Org Proposal   17 members have voted

  1. 1. Make the changes associated with Proposal 1 - Critique Area

    • Yes - Make the change
      9
    • No - It needs changed, but this plan isn't right
      2
    • No - I like it as it is
      2
    • Do what you think is right
      4
  2. 2. Make the changes associated with Proposal 2 - Discussion

    • Yes - Make the change
      12
    • No - It needs changed, but this plan isn't right
      1
    • No - I like it as it is
      1
    • Do what you think is right
      3
  3. 3. Make the changes associated with Proposal 3 - Contests and Challenges

    • Yes - Make the change
      12
    • No - It needs changed, but this plan isn't right
      1
    • No - We don't need a dedicated board for these posts
      1
    • Do what you think is right
      3
  4. 4. Make the changes associated with Proposal 4 - Showcase

    • Yes - Make the change
      13
    • No - It needs changed, but this plan isn't right
      0
    • No - I like it as it is
      1
    • Do what you think is right
      3

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

23 posts in this topic

Hi Gang

 

OK so the critique board re-org hasn't been popular, so taking all that into consideration we have some proposed changes.

 

The hip hop boards are being dealt with separately.

 

Proposal 1 - Critique Area

 

Critique

|-Lyrics

|----Lyrics Archive

|-Scratch or 1+1

|-Full Production

|-Video

|-Artwork

|-Song Covers and Remixes

|-Poetry

|-Members Access Only

 

 

Proposal 2 - Discussion Area

 

Discussion

|-Songwriting

|-Music Production

|---VST and VSTi

|-Performance

|-Videos and Images

|-Music Industry

|-Musicians Lounge

 

All existing sub boards will be merged into their parent. In other words, boards for individual instruments will be removed, leaving only an overall Performance Board, Specialist Music Industry boards will be removed leaving only "music Industry" as a board etc. Only the boards above will be left.

 

 

Proposal 3 - Contests and Challenges

 

Contests and Challenges

|-Contests

|-Challenges

|-Rap Battles

 

 

Proposal 4 - Showcase

 

Showcase

|-Music

|-Lyrics

|-Video

 

________________________

 

If all 3 proposals are acceppted the Main Forums group will look like this:

 

Main Forums

|-Introduce Yourself

|-Showcase

|-Critique

|-Collaboration

|-Discussion

 

Cheers

 

John

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's my only suggestion.

 

|-Songs

|----Scratch or 1+1

|----Full Production

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Critique

|-Song Lyrics

|----Lyrics Archive

I- Song Recordings (including intrumentals)

I-----Minimal Production

I-----Fuller Production

 

I would prefer no recording production-level sub-forums, but if that is desired by others, I suggest the above descriptions.  I also hope the new tagging protocols remain in effect.  Perhaps the "Video" critique sub-froum should just be for videos unrelated to music.  Musically-related videos I think should  be in one of the Song Recording sub-forums - video is just the manner in which the recording is presented.  Otherwise, we may end up segregating posts by those who stream their music via audio-only sites like Soundcloud and those who stream music via video sites like Youtube.  If someone wants their music video posted in the Song Recordings critiqued for the video as well, they can tag it for video critique.

 

I think it would also be helpful if in the further descriptions for the Song Recording critique forum there was a mention that streamed content posted is likely to get more feedback that posted content one would have to download. I'm really tired of having to explain that to Noobs. :)

 

Thanks,

David

Edited by HoboSage
2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

I don't understand why you'd split 1+1 from 'full production'... a well recorded 1+1 is a full production (or at least is something that could be perfectly ready for 'release'...I'm not arguing the toss over what 'production' means). It sounds more like you're splitting depending on how many instruments are used... the world's gone loopy! And for that matter 'scratch' (presuming that means a rough recording) is often just the start of what will become a full production. As far as I can make out, the only sensible split would be 'unfinished songs/productions' (wanting critique to help finish) and 'finished, not touching it again, songs' (wanting review for future improvement or just to see what people think). 

 

A video area sounds good. Aside from that I think all the splitting up in the critique areas is getting silly. I don't suppose it matters but I just don't see the benefit, certainly not to split songs based on how many instruments are used.

 

I can perhaps see reason to have a 'roughly recorded into my phone' type area, but even those can be as good to listen to as a full production if they're done well...so really you're talking about a 'couldn't be bothered really' area ;) 

Edited by MonoStone

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MonoStone said:

I don't understand why you'd split 1+1 from 'full production'... a well recorded 1+1 is a full production (or at least is something that could be perfectly ready for 'release'...I'm not arguing the toss over what 'production' means).

 

That's why I prefer "Minimal Production," as that would include well-recorded 1+1's a as well as rough scratch tracks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Quick question,

Whats scratch and 1+1?

 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Leo said:

Quick question,

Whats scratch and 1+1?

 

 

Scratch can mean a lot of things, depending on who you are talking to. Generally speaking, it means a recording that has been brought to it's present state quickly, without the comprehensive treatment a fully engineered and produced track would normally receive. Usually the term "scratch" refers to a fast demo of a song idea, one that can be shown to other musicians that may then move forward to contribute to the more complete version of the song.

 

One plus One means ONE instrument and ONE voice. Typically, this means guitar and voice, but not always. Another often used one plus one format is piano and voice. Specifically, this format invokes a finished song where a singer performs with just one instrument in accompaniment, or maybe two, where the production has received only moderate, or minimal engineering. A video, shot with a Go Pro video unit, of a guy playing piano and singing, which can potentially yield a VERY effective presentation, would be a common form of a one plus one effort.

 

This, as opposed to a full band, with a dozen or more active tracks (sometimes MANY more), and intense, comprehensive engineering work, mixing, mastering, etc.

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, RobAsh15 said:

 

Scratch can mean a lot of things, depending on who you are talking to. Generally speaking, it means a recording that has been brought to it's present state quickly, without the comprehensive treatment a fully engineered and produced track would normally receive. Usually the term "scratch" refers to a fast demo of a song idea, one that can be shown to other musicians that may then move forward to contribute to the more complete version of the song.

 

One plus One means ONE instrument and ONE voice. Typically, this means guitar and voice, but not always. Another often used one plus one format is piano and voice. Specifically, this format invokes a finished song where a singer performs with just one instrument in accompaniment, or maybe two, where the production has received only moderate, or minimal engineering. A video, shot with a Go Pro video unit, of a guy playing piano and singing, which can potentially yield a VERY effective presentation, would be a common form of a one plus one effort.

 

This, as opposed to a full band, with a dozen or more active tracks (sometimes MANY more), and intense, comprehensive engineering work, mixing, mastering, etc.

 

Thanks mate. Now I know all my recordings are fast 1+1 scratch demos :)

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Proposals 2, 3, and 4 are now implemented

4 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

rap battles? :huh:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

John, I've noticed that all of a sudden the identity of the person who "Likes" a post are not shown to me, when before they were.  Was that a change you made on purpose in reorganizing the boards?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, HoboSage said:

John, I've noticed that all of a sudden the identity of the person who "Likes" a post are not shown to me, when before they were.  Was that a change you made on purpose in reorganizing the boards?

 

David, have they always shown for you? Sometimes I would see who it was and other times it would just show 1 person liked you (not that I get that very often :D).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Yeah, the member names were always shown.  How's Santa supposed to know who's been naughty and nice now?

Edited by HoboSage

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

I used to see names too on notification but lately it says "somebody" liked post. Checked somebody's profile..none... just somebody :)

 

 if I like a post it says you and 3 others liked.

 

But that's been like that for awhile.

Edited by Peggy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rudi said:

rap battles? :huh:

 

Young uns today, that's what they call it. Apparently. Like everything it depends on if it is used or not. As it stands I don't see it lasting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, HoboSage said:

John, I've noticed that all of a sudden the identity of the person who "Likes" a post are not shown to me, when before they were.  Was that a change you made on purpose in reorganizing the boards?

 

Nope. No settings change then. It was changed 18 months ago to not show them, but that was part of the major update, not me changing anything. It's been on my list to correct but something else always seemed to beat it... or I forgot about it lol. It's on my list of fixes to be done.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, john said:

 

Nope. No settings change then. It was changed 18 months ago to not show them, but that was part of the major update, not me changing anything. It's been on my list to correct but something else always seemed to beat it... or I forgot about it lol. It's on my list of fixes to be done.

 

Ok, should be fixed

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This has more to do with the way my eyes look across a web page. When I go to any page I see too much text initially and the headings spread too far apart..This applies to the individual areas. The home page is well laid out since we can see sub categories very well. The others are less intuitive IMO.

 

I think it would be easier to find and identify an area if descriptions were kept minimal with main headings being closer together in some way. Descriptions could then be longer after the user clicks the link.

 

I liked it when we had one area to submit songs for critique to. I believe having multiple areas tends to cause confusion. Also, it wasn't readily apparent when clicking the critique link that a person could scroll down and see the most used area. 

 

Unless you have hundreds of submissions, some categories are going to look very sparse indeed.

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, starise said:

Unless you have hundreds of submissions, some categories are going to look very sparse indeed.

 

Overall, there are less critique boards than there was when we started. The main categories are the same.

 

Across all the boards roughly 25 boards were removed.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The way things are right now I like. :) I get confused easily. The simpler the better.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Me too. Simplest it has been in a long time. :) all's well that ends well.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi John,  finding my lyrics in funny places, like showcase, songs etc.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK, lets see if we can sort this out asap. :)

 

If you can send me a PM with links to any songs you think are in the wrong place (rather than go off topic on detail) and we can get them moved.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.