Klingsor

Main Theme for a fantasy film - not sure about the mix

6 posts in this topic

Hi there,

I spent the last days working on this little tune...

https://soundcloud.com/dustin-naegel/journey-onward

...a somewhat rhythmically driven (almost march-like) medieval/fantasy theme soundtrack theme. It's build upon a (hopefully) heroic melody and is intended to accompany the travel montage of a fantasy epic (game/film). But it's not really complete since I am not satisfied with the overall sound. If you have some handy tips, especially concerning the mix, please do not hesitate to share your insights. :) 

Best regards

Dustin

2 people like this

14 minutes ago, Klingsor said:

Hi there,

I spent the last days working on this little tune...

https://soundcloud.com/dustin-naegel/journey-onward

...a somewhat rhythmically driven (almost march-like) medieval/fantasy theme soundtrack theme. It's build upon a (hopefully) heroic melody and is intended to accompany the travel montage of a fantasy epic (game/film). But it's not really complete since I am not satisfied with the overall sound. If you have some handy tips, especially concerning the mix, please do not hesitate to share your insights. :) 

Best regards

Dustin

Dustin, for what you are trying to achieve, I think you have succeeded. Apart from some of the instrumentation, the general feel for a fantasy game soundtrack is there. Some of the instrumentation could do with a bit more body to it, maybe try doubling/tripling up with a slight bit of delay to give it more depth. What are you using for recording? Which DAW/instrument packages? 

1 person likes this

Hey Richard, thanks for your feedback, really appreciate it. Glad you like the piece. :) I certainly will dry doubling some of the main melody voices when I am going to rework the piece.  As a software sequencer I am using Ableton Live and Cubase AI 8, VST-plug-ins (run with the Kontakt Player) consist of 88 Ensemble (Sonivox), Xpand2 (Air) , Fx Suite (Steinberg) plus some stuff from my Giga Nemesis v1.5 library by Nemesis as well as sf2 files from http://www.hammersound.net/  For the final mix and the mastering process I am still using Audacity... :D

Musically, I think this is very good! I quite enjoyed it. Instrumentation-wise, the harpsichord felt a little thin and the French horns are a little dark. What's missing, for me, are dynamics -- changes in volume, attack, emphasis. The music is amazing. Working on dynamics (which will be tedious and hard) will lift this to another level. Obviously, you have the talent. I'm excited to hear more work from you!

1 person likes this

I think this is really pretty nice! I like your main theme, it's interesting and memorable.

I think it loses steam a little in the middle theme. The oboe or english horn or whatever instrument you have for lead in the second theme is awfully synthetic sounding. Maybe you have a better one, or maybe you can breathe life into it with some reverb/EQ. Also, it's too obviously being played on a keyboard, so I'd mess with the note durations and such to make it feel more natural. Also, that middle theme isn't as inevitable as the main theme, it tends to wander trying to find its way and seems to go on a long time. I kept expecting the main theme to return again in big rousing fashion at the end, but I didn't get that big finish, and so the piece feels like is sort of peters out in an overly tuneful noodling fashion. Coming back with the main theme will drive it home and could be nice and satisfying. Good work!

BTW, I used to be able to click around within a SoundCloud track to revisit different parts of a track, but it doesn't seem to let me do that now. I can't even start it over, I have to completely re-load the page. Did SC change something? 

1 person likes this

Steve, Jim, thanks you very much for your acknowledgement, especially concerning the synthetic sound of the oboe in the middle part. It's extremely useful information for me since I listened so often to this track that I lost in a way my power of justice when it comes to the sound of particular instruments. I'll definitely work on that for a revised version!