Your Ad Could Be Here

Artiphon Instrument One (new midi controller

While the video shows different methods to approach to the instrument there are actually more.  It's dare I say a very strong competitor to the linnstrument while not having the scale length capabilities

I think it looks quite intuitive! How is the velocity? Those controllers have a tendancy to feel a little "dead"...

I have no idea on how the velocity is.

I'll tell you a story though.   Back in 2007 I got a Baby Z.  I loved it to tears and rather than trying to work out velocity issues with tapping (which way more about me than the controller.  I did a few videos.  And the only thing was I wanted more.  The baby z only has 16 frets.

Anyway someone was interested in my thoughts about the instrument and I advised for it.   When the Babyz arrived he put no passion in his playing so none came out in the performance.  He blamed the instrument saying "It didn't feel organic".  Well they aren't guitar strings on a guitar.  as I told him before purchase.  I also stated that the organism was him not the instrument.   Eventually he adapted to his ztar.

With every technology advancement some considerations have to be made.  As well performance always begins and ends with the performer.   So far I'm impressed with the performances I've seen.  Will it answer all my prayers?  Will it have the fit and feel of my favorite guitar?  Will it make me a virtuoso?  Will I gain talent where I had not before?  Many of these questions are the same ones that keep players away from expanding their horizons.   The stick with what they've always done because they are afraid to venture out and explore new mediums and have to face the consequences of doing things differently.  

Believe it or not there was a time when a keyboard player wouldn't do a gig unless the keyboard was already provided and was one they enjoyed playing.  It would be in the rider for the contract to do the gig.  They would cry crocodile tears if they had to play a fender rhodes or a Wurlitzer student model.  They effectively lost gigs and those who made the most of what was already in them along with not being afraid to try new things surpassed them.  

I agree completely! To me music is a lot about curiosity. Not be afraid to meet new challenges, sit down with an instrument you've never tried and see what happens. I just started experimenting with the clarinet a couple of weeks ago and a whole new musical world opened up for me. I'm even changing my phrasing on the guitar 'cause of that:)