Your Ad Could Be Here

One Minute Song - member challenge

Hey all, so after posting a song that I imagined being used for background music and a recent topic Steve Mueske posted with a 60 second track, I wondered whether anyone would be up for a 1 minute track competition. It can be anything, instrumental, vocal, whatever, but it must be 60 seconds long (think of the tracks at the beginning of most TV programmes nowadays).

Would anyone be up for this?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Geesh Dave, I said I was sorry. ;)

To comply with the post I'll just say I don't care one way or the other. If it should happen, now that Dave pointed it out, analytics should be monitored to see if there is a decline in the other sections. I too have witnessed negative things from contests. Mainly people getting upset and all huffy about not winning or disagreeing with the person that won. I would not compete for the fact that I don't have enough time to work on music already. I have more than enough stuff I need, or want, to get done which just sits there, crying, waiting for me to come back. 

1 hour ago, HoboSage said:

For me personally, I'd prefer it if a competitive attitude was discouraged here, rather than encouraged.   We can say it's all in fun, and maybe it is - right now.  But, I've seen what "contests" can do to other online artistic communities, and it's not a good thing.  .  Challenges are different; they're between you and the challenge.  Contests are us against each other, and there are winners and losers.  Contestants start taking them seriously.  Contests become a regular thing, and many contestants become contest regulars who don't really participate elsewhere on the forums, and the critique forums suffer - It becomes all about the contests for them, and many of them become assholes, and factions of them form.  It divides the community.  I've seen it happen.  Well, I already take too much of the allotted asshole space here.  There's no room for any more. :)  But, what I fear is: "if you build it, they will come."

Just my personal feelings.

'I actually meant it to be a challenge, as there is no prize at the end of this, other than the joy of being able to do a fully fledged track that lasts one minute:D I didn't mean it to sound like we were going to be going up against each other and someone winning.

43 minutes ago, Just1L said:

Geesh Dave, I said I was sorry. ;)

To comply with the post I'll just say I don't care one way or the other. If it should happen, now that Dave pointed it out, analytics should be monitored to see if there is a decline in the other sections. I too have witnessed negative things from contests. Mainly people getting upset and all huffy about not winning or disagreeing with the person that won. I would not compete for the fact that I don't have enough time to work on music already. I have more than enough stuff I need, or want, to get done which just sits there, crying, waiting for me to come back. 

Sorry Randy - as I replied to David - it's not really a competition- I maybe used the wrong word as I posted this in the contest section - but I'm looking on it as a way of getting all members - who can - to get involved and see what can come of everyone putting their minds to the challenge.

Only me personally...

Contest, battle, challenge I always referred to them, off-line, as an "assignment"  from class. 

I surely have no experience with other boards or whatever. But I really do "learn" and test my skills and creativity with each participation however they occur.

:)

Peggy

13 minutes ago, Peggy said:

Only me personally...

Contest, battle, challenge I always referred to them, off-line, as an "assignment"  from class. 

I surely have no experience with other boards or whatever. But I really do "learn" and test my skills and creativity with each participation however they occur.

Peggy

Ha ha - we call it homework over here Peggy and I think this could be a good one for people to get their teeth into - writing a compete song in 60 seconds is harder than you think. 

Richard, for clarification, this is a hard and fast rule of 60 seconds? Meaning not 58 seconds or 63 seconds?  I bet that would be more complicated than it first sounds.  I'd have to test myself to see if I could even stay within or anywhere near that parameter before I could officially commit.  I really have no idea if I could do that.  One way to find out, I suppose....

Im in.

7 hours ago, Richard Tracey said:

- writing a compete song in 60 seconds is harder than you think. 

I have a 37 sec complete song.i don't mean it's finished, just when I sing it. I tried adding more words around it and was never happy with it like that. 

Peggy

10 hours ago, Pahchisme Plaid said:

Richard, for clarification, this is a hard and fast rule of 60 seconds? Meaning not 58 seconds or 63 seconds?  I bet that would be more complicated than it first sounds.  I'd have to test myself to see if I could even stay within or anywhere near that parameter before I could officially commit.  I really have no idea if I could do that.  One way to find out, I suppose....

5 hours ago, Leo said:

Im in.

5 hours ago, Peggy said:

I have a 37 sec complete song.i don't mean it's finished, just when I sing it. I tried adding more words around it and was never happy with it like that. 

Peggy

Ok - thanks Plaid/Leo/Peggy - would it help if we changed the rule where the track can't be anymore than 60 seconds, but can be less?

I can live with that.

23 minutes ago, HoboSage said:

You might want to address whether it has to be a track made from scratch for the "challenge," or if you can use a previously-made clip or extract a 60-second clip from something you've done previously.

As a challenge, I was hoping to go for a new track from scratch, get all the members who want to get involved, thinking about this. The only stipulation is that it needs to feel like a fully composed track, as in self contained within the 60 seconds.

I like holding contests...but not entering them ;) I do not like losing! I mean I reeeaaaally do not like losing! And anyone who thought I shouldn't win would just be so wrong ;)

1 minute ago, MonoStone said:

I like holding contests...but not entering them ;) I do not like losing! I mean I reeeaaaally do not like losing! And anyone who thought I shouldn't win would just be so wrong ;)

It's not a contest - it's a challenge!!!! ;)

3 minutes ago, Richard Tracey said:

It's not a contest - it's a challenge!!!! ;)

oh...  Challenges are ok. Could be inspiring sometimes. I'm not sure I'd enter this one but thanks for clarifying. I'll keep an eye out for what challenges go up.

All sounds a bit 'fun' though... I'll look on pretending I'm too cool ;)  

1 hour ago, MonoStone said:

oh...  Challenges are ok. Could be inspiring sometimes. I'm not sure I'd enter this one but thanks for clarifying. I'll keep an eye out for what challenges go up.

All sounds a bit 'fun' though... I'll look on pretending I'm too cool ;)  

It's meant to be a bit of fun and getting 'EVERYONE' involved (hint hint) :grindance:

it would be nice if someone set a contest for most complex lyric structure, i love being around people that are better because it gives me something to aim for its nice to be pushed beyond your known capabilities sometime

1 hour ago, ALOPRODUCTIONZ said:

it would be nice if someone set a contest for most complex lyric structure, i love being around people that are better because it gives me something to aim for its nice to be pushed beyond your known capabilities sometime

ALO - you might find that will come. John used to run lyric contests and was thinking about starting up the contests again.

4 hours ago, Richard Tracey said:

It's meant to be a bit of fun and getting 'EVERYONE' involved (hint hint) :grindance:

Fine!

Well... We had a power cut which taught me...ALWAYS save what you're doing! So I had to restart and was never gonna get much more than a minute done ;)

Although it is a BIT more than a minute... If that breaks the rules you can stick it up yer jumper! This is just an idea as far as I could get it anyway...it might turn into a full song or might go in the bin. I had fun playing my rusty ancient surf guitar anyway.

For any goody two shoes parkie types ...

Archived