• Announcements

• Songstuff

New Chat App   06/02/2017

We have a new chat app available. You will need to sign up for it. You can pick up the invite link at the top of your member hub page:   http://forums.songstuff.com/member/hub/   Remember to use your Songstuff registered email and user name when you sign up! Using the invite link will automatically add you to the Songstuff chat channel.
MonoStone

Lost Now RECRUITING MULTIPLE SINGERS!

25 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I did this bit of a song quickly earlier today for the challenge Richard started. I suppose I broke the 60 seconds rule but I think I like what I started so maybe I'll work it into a bigger BIG kind of track... I dunno. Interested to hear what people think so far anyway.

UPDATED - I've extended the song (I kicking the arse out of the same progression counts)...did some new stuff. I wanted to try something different, so instead of using lots of synths I just used an X-705 Space Organ for all the keyboards. Seemed like a good idea at the time... 

This is freshly put together so maybe a mess... I'll know tomorrow but I like posting when I've just done something so this is what I got... If anyone says it sounds like Air Supply, I will find you and I will kill you.

Following Randy's mention of 'Polyphonic Spree'... I'm recruiting singers for this. I'll do a new mix/version when it's all together... I'm not totally happy with many elements of it yet.

If you'd like to sing along...anyone who can get a reasonably clean vocal recording and sing pretty much in tune is invited to join in and send me a dry vocal wav (or multiple wavs) to mix in. The plan is... sing along with the 'Burn em all, burn em all, light up our eyes, burn em all, burn em all, be warm tonight, their souls are hollow, their souls are hollow' part. I'm looking for a group vocal effect, not lead vocals.... have a listen to some Polyphonic Spree to get what I mean. 

If you're interested just PM me. The track is now downloadable. If it doesn't work out... my apologies in advance...I just want to try the idea if anyone is interested to join in. No worries if not.

https://soundcloud.com/monostone-1/lost-now/s-PjpgM

We're lost now 

Baby don't frown

We're lost now

We're lost now

Baby don't run

The trees around us 

Won't make a sound

Free the fire

Burn them down

Burn them all

Burn them all

Light up our eyes

Burn them all 

Burn them all

Be warm tonight

Their souls

Are hollow

Their souls

Are hollow

Edited by MonoStone
2 people like this

I dunno if Hobo will come in and burst your reverb bubble again :P, but once again, I really love what you did with it here.

My favorite part of the song is the little organic panned static-y perc. sounds.

I feel like if you redid the prosody on "free the fire" to where the word "fire" was held just a *little* more it would sound nice.

Anyway, mainly just really liked this one.

8 minutes ago, cutaia said:

I dunno if Hobo will come in and burst your reverb bubble again :P, but once again, I really love what you did with it here.

My favorite part of the song is the little organic panned static-y perc. sounds.

I feel like if you redid the prosody on "free the fire" to where the word "fire" was held just a *little* more it would sound nice.

Anyway, mainly just really liked this one.

He'll be too busy singing into a wind machine  ;)

Glad you like it... just a quick thing. I might try to develop it, and if so...yeah more of the glitchy beat stuff. 

It's cool. I heard epic spacey loneliness. I was reminded of "Astronaut" by One Eskimo. I would take it up a few steps - singing the title phrase down low where you have it now loses some of the potential power of the lyric and the soundscape you've started.

57 minutes ago, Jim of Seattle said:

It's cool. I heard epic spacey loneliness. I was reminded of "Astronaut" by One Eskimo. I would take it up a few steps - singing the title phrase down low where you have it now loses some of the potential power of the lyric and the soundscape you've started.

Thanks Jim. Sing it higher? Hmmm... I'll experiment with that but I heard it wanting to be lower. I was wishing I had a deeper voice for it!

Have to see where it goes from here... 

I'll check out Astronaut, I don't know it.

Nice and short ! Has a Peter Gabriel vibe to it so of course I love the tune :)

Dig the flix too !

Cheers !

i love this

Posted (edited)

You had me up until The Edge circa 1978 electric guitar sound.  But, at least it's not Air Supply.  :P

But seriously, it might be really cool if the next 1.5 minutes was something very different - dry, punchy, powerful, and maybe even industrial with an apocalyptic screaming vocal - and then you closed going full circle back to this.

Edited by HoboSage

25 minutes ago, HoboSage said:

You had me up until The Edge circa 1978 electric guitar sound.  But, at least it's not Air Supply.  :P

But seriously, it might be really cool if the next 1.5 minutes was something very different - dry, punchy, powerful, and maybe even industrial with an apocalyptic screaming vocal - and then you closed going full circle back to this.

The Edge circa 1978 sounds the same as The Edge circa any era. The guy hasn't changed his style or sound.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

I like the way this song builds, with the open emptiness at first, and then the slow rush and build of the rhythmic pulsing and chords swelling. 

The next chorus should be sung an octave higher for drama. Nice start! I hope I can hear the rest when you finish it!

Edited by emilyandersonmusic

Posted (edited)

On 14 March 2017 at 1:15 AM, Simon Darveau said:

Nice and short ! Has a Peter Gabriel vibe to it so of course I love the tune :)

Dig the flix too !

Cheers !

On 14 March 2017 at 10:02 PM, ALOPRODUCTIONZ said:

i love this

On 14 March 2017 at 10:11 PM, HoboSage said:

On 14 March 2017 at 10:37 PM, Richard Tracey said:

The Edge circa 1978 sounds the same as The Edge circa any era. The guy hasn't changed his style or sound.

On 17 March 2017 at 11:28 PM, emilyandersonmusic said:

I like the way this song builds, with the open emptiness at first, and then the slow rush and build of the rhythmic pulsing and chords swelling. 

The next chorus should be sung an octave higher for drama. Nice start! I hope I can hear the rest when you finish it!

Thanks all! Sorry for the short reply...I'll go though all your feedback and comments properly soon, it's very late (early) here so I'm just posting my updated version then off to sleep. Like it or not, it's kind of doing what I imagined I wanted...nearly... so I'm happy...but I doubt I'm done with it yet. I want to make a video but it'll take ages...so please watch someone falling through space or someone driving through a forest fire or something whilst you listen ;) 

Edited by MonoStone

I like this a lot!

I thought I would like the vocals to be dryer but warmed up to it as the song progressed. Maybe throw in some "dryness" in parts.

I do think its pretty long with very similar sounding loops/measures.

I really think you need to have a higher energy bridge to break this up a bit...that's what I think I would do. I also hear some high harmonies floating out there like angels.

Very very good though...nice work.

Ricky

Dek, this is brilliant. I am so glad you went back to the beginning part for the end, cause if you didn't, I was going to hunt you down!!!!! This is by far the best thing you've done and is probably ('in my mind) the best thing I have heard on this site (sorry everyone, again my mind) and I would definitely buy this. Haunting, beautiful and your vocals are excellent. All the sounds go well together and it just makes me feel something when I listen. With a good master on this track, it might take it further. I bought ozone 7 elements, so if you want me to fire the song through a master chain, just let me know.

I need this song, so hurry up and finish it, so I can buy it. :D

On 14 March 2017 at 10:11 PM, HoboSage said:

The Edge thing was kind of deliberate-ish, I didn't want to sound like U2 and I can't play like him but it was roughly the effect I was after for background guitar. 

It ended up more than another 1.5 but I might shorten it yet. Dry... I'll work on ... I don't want the guitars dry (tried it and they sound crap) but I'll likely keep tweaking the reverb away from some of the vocals as I work on the mix more. And yeah, I wanted to get a bit epic with it, but what I've done is the highest I could sing it (after a few takes I struggled to even get there!)... and yep, full circle, thank you for putting that in my head!

Didn't want to go industrial, I wanted to go dreamy epic.

On 17 March 2017 at 11:28 PM, emilyandersonmusic said:

Thanks Emily. I did go up with the vocals... high as I could get :)  Can't say it's finished yet but I'll keep posting.

6 hours ago, Ricky Layne said:

I like this a lot!

I thought I would like the vocals to be dryer but warmed up to it as the song progressed. Maybe throw in some "dryness" in parts.

I do think its pretty long with very similar sounding loops/measures.

I really think you need to have a higher energy bridge to break this up a bit...that's what I think I would do. I also hear some high harmonies floating out there like angels.

Very very good though...nice work.

Ricky

Thanks Ricky, I'll work on tweaking the reverb/dryness... difficult balance, I maybe need to choose a better reverb.

I honestly don't plan to add a bridge, I want it to stay to the same progression but I will look at ways to keep it more interesting. I'd like some angels too.... but I can't get any higher without pitch shifting. Maybe I'll find an angel to join in... anyone here get another octave up and sound like an angel? Shout me!

6 minutes ago, Richard Tracey said:

Dek, this is brilliant. I am so glad you went back to the beginning part for the end, cause if you didn't, I was going to hunt you down!!!!! This is by far the best thing you've done and is probably ('in my mind) the best thing I have heard on this site (sorry everyone, again my mind) and I would definitely buy this. Haunting, beautiful and your vocals are excellent. All the sounds go well together and it just makes me feel something when I listen. With a good master on this track, it might take it further. I bought ozone 7 elements, so if you want me to fire the song through a master chain, just let me know.

I need this song, so hurry up and finish it, so I can buy it. :D

Thanks Richard, I'm glad you like it. I'm certain it's NOT the best thing from this site... but only you know what goes on in your mind :) 

The version you heard is mastered, but I'll try other settings before it's done and it would be interesting to hear what ozone does to it. I might get Ozone myself as I think I'd need to tweak the mix to suit (the Reason mastering suite is doing a LOT on this, maybe too much)

I'm glad it makes you feel something, when I listen to it against the right video images it works for me. I think I have something but not sure it's fully developed yet. It's too new for me to know.

Thanks all,

Dek

8 minutes ago, MonoStone said:

Thanks Richard, I'm glad you like it. I'm certain it's NOT the best thing from this site... but only you know what goes on in your mind :) 

The version you heard is mastered, but I'll try other settings before it's done and it would be interesting to hear what ozone does to it. I might get Ozone myself as I think I'd need to tweak the mix to suit (the Reason mastering suite is doing a LOT on this, maybe too much)

I'm glad it makes you feel something, when I listen to it against the right video images it works for me. I think I have something but not sure it's fully developed yet. It's too new for me to know.

Dek, I got Ozone essentials off of plugin boutique last week and it was £58 if I remember correctly. It was reduced for a short period of time. I've tried it on tracks I am working on and you can really hear the difference. If I was you, I would think about using another DAW for mastering. Pro Tools is meant to be the best and I am sure you can get a free version, as I downloaded it when it was.

the vocals could be a little higher in volume

2 hours ago, ALOPRODUCTIONZ said:

the vocals could be a little higher in volume

Thanks Alo, Since you liked the short version... I'm wondering whether you like the new part too?

yeah its amazing

Posted (edited)

Really nice Dek! It reminds me a bit of the Polyphonic Spree with a touch of the Vasolines' "Jesus don't want me for a sunbeam" (or more like the slower Nirvana version." To me something could take more of a lead in that instrumental section. I like it but feel there could be something added. Other than that I dig it.

Edited by Just1L

On 3/19/2017 at 4:02 PM, ALOPRODUCTIONZ said:

yeah its amazing

Thanks Alo. I'm really glad you like it so much!

5 hours ago, Just1L said:

Really nice Dek! It reminds me a bit of the Polyphonic Spree with a touch of the Vasolines' "Jesus don't want me for a sunbeam" (or more like the slower Nirvana version." To me something could take more of a lead in that instrumental section. I like it but feel there could be something added. Other than that I dig it.

I love that Polyphonic Spree stuff... just listened after you said that, I couldn't remember who they were but now I remember. I agree it's missing something in the instrumental part... still thinking what to add, it can't be a lead guitar or anything like that. Maybe a load of voices, now I've heard the PS again, maybe it can get bigger again before dropping back down at the end. Glad you like it, thanks Randy!

11 hours ago, MonoStone said:

Thanks Alo. I'm really glad you like it so much!

I love that Polyphonic Spree stuff... just listened after you said that, I couldn't remember who they were but now I remember. I agree it's missing something in the instrumental part... still thinking what to add, it can't be a lead guitar or anything like that. Maybe a load of voices, now I've heard the PS again, maybe it can get bigger again before dropping back down at the end. Glad you like it, thanks Randy!

if you want ideas  for extra instruments

bongos

shaker

that australian wooden thingy

xylophone

harp

maybe high female choir voices

or low male tribal like chanting

or you could add special effects to go along with imagery in your words (trees are burning example)a crackling fire. just something to build the atmosphere up more

On 19/03/2017 at 4:33 AM, MonoStone said:

Thanks all! Sorry for the short reply...I'll go though all your feedback and comments properly soon, it's very late (early) here so I'm just posting my updated version then off to sleep. Like it or not, it's kind of doing what I imagined I wanted...nearly... so I'm happy...but I doubt I'm done with it yet. I want to make a video but it'll take ages...so please watch someone falling through space or someone driving through a forest fire or something whilst you listen ;) 

ill make you a cool video if you send me the audio

Wow... this sounds amazing! And it's very clearly a visual song... so good luck with the cool video production :)

I'm totally getting the Coldplay vibe here but can also feel the song supplying quite some air ;)

Following Randy's mention of 'Polyphonic Spree'... I'm recruiting singers for this. I'll do a new mix/version when it's all together... I'm not totally happy with many elements of it yet.

If you'd like to sing along...anyone who can get a reasonably clean vocal recording and sing pretty much in tune is invited to join in and send me a dry vocal wav (or multiple wavs) to mix in. The plan is... sing along with the 'Burn em all, burn em all, light up our eyes, burn em all, burn em all, be warm tonight, their souls are hollow, their souls are hollow' part. I'm looking for a group vocal effect, not lead vocals.... have a listen to some Polyphonic Spree to get what I mean. 

If you're interested just PM me. The track is now downloadable. If it doesn't work out... my apologies in advance...I just want to try the idea if anyone is interested to join in. No worries if not.

https://soundcloud.com/monostone-1/lost-now/s-PjpgM

Wow!  Great job, Dek.  Start to (almost) finish, the song held me in its grip.  Absolutely wonderful.

My minor nit.... and it's minor indeed, is that the ending stuck around a hair too long for me.  If this were my song, I'd start a fade out almost immediately after bringing the beginning back in, and I would just keep repeating "we're lost now, we're lost now baby don't frown" without ever hitting the trees and certainly not hitting a finite ending.  

But that is just a feeling after a first listen.  Probably by #20 I'll be fine with how you did it. :)