• Announcements

• Songstuff

New Chat App   06/02/2017

We have a new chat app available. You will need to sign up for it. You can pick up the invite link at the top of your member hub page:   http://forums.songstuff.com/member/hub/   Remember to use your Songstuff registered email and user name when you sign up! Using the invite link will automatically add you to the Songstuff chat channel.
emilyandersonmusic

Haunting Me/Rescue You

14 posts in this topic

Hello! 

So, I'd like some advice on this song. I had written it first with certain lyrics, and it was called "Haunting Me." (Lyrics below)

https://soundcloud.com/emily-anderson-277030101/haunting-me-12316-904-am/s-EGpB0

Later, I changed the lyrics because I thought the words were too depressing, so I thought about a way to make it equally appealing to me, but with lyrics that might be more attractive to more people. This version is called 'Rescue you.' The recording is better quality, and has some more production value to it, but ultimately, I'm concerned about the song itself. Is the first version better because it's more "genuine" or is the second better because it's more artful, and possibly more appealing to a larger group of people?

Here is "Rescue you" https://www.reverbnation.com/emilyanderson/song/27376604-rescue-you

Haunting me Lyrics:

Haunting Me

I feel the weight of the world taking off again

A wiry bird with a song singing out I feel

The eye of the storm in my head behind my lashes

Like a tinge or a spark, shooting from the ashes

What I get is what I see

And what I see is haunting me

I fill the void with sea salt and vinegar

A Palace full of goods from all around the hemisphere

But nobody knows me, I wear my heart inside my throat

Their side-eyed glances say I’m not a regular folk

What I get is what I see

It won’t be very easy, but it will be true

Somewhere there is a reason for all of this that you do

and it’s haunting me

It’s haunting me.

What a mystery are we and all we are and

Everything that we want to be

if it means that we only live and breathe

to bend our knees, cry, smile or sing

What I get is what I see

It won’t be very easy, but it will be true

Somewhere there is a reason for all of this that you do

and it’s haunting me

It’s haunting me.

RESCUE YOU LYRICS:

I feel the weight of the world taking off again

A wiry bird with a song singing out I feel

The eye of the storm in my head behind my lashes

Like a tinge or a spark, shooting from the ashes

In one fell swoop of clarity

The phoenix comes to rescue me

I burn my tongue with sea salt and vinegar

I fill my house with goods from all around the hemisphere

But nobody knows me, I wear my heart inside my throat

Their hard eyes press against me, I panic and take to the spokes

In one great wave of ocean tide

The chariot is at my side

... You don’t have to worry, you’ll find all that you lose, and

Even though, we’ll run around in circles, I’ve come, to rescue you

to the rescue…………………..to rescue you……...

Carry me across the yellow sea

It’s a mystery, this blazing epiphany

There’s no time to waste, your avenue is waiting

Where it takes you, no one knows; but there’s comfort in escaping

At once descending from great heights

The golden staircase spreads its flight

2 people like this

Haunting me, no doubt!!
I must say I really admire Your voicecontroll. Outstanding!!

1 person likes this

Wow, I think both versions are fantastic. For my taste, you have something special there.

Lyrically, I prefer the 'Haunting Me' hook, but that might just be my taste.

The 'Haunting Me' version does have something more 'genuine' about it, as you say... it feels darker, not just lyrically, it feels haunted. And the hook 'Is Haunting Me' is fantastic not only lyrically.

At first Rescue Me won me over with the more 'pop' kind of vibe, still unusual but more candy....

...but I think Haunting Me is a better song overall, it needs polish (without losing the vibe) but I definitely prefer that one. The hook is way better than Rescue Me in many ways...and although I like the electronic vibe of Rescue Me, I LOVE the piano on Haunting me even more.

Incredible vocals on both.

Brilliant.

Dek

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Both versions are really good, Emily. But if I could only listen to one of those versions, I would choose 'Rescue Me' since the vocal melodies had more going on. Plus the arrangement and harmonies sounded really good, as well.

Beautiful vocals as always!

All the best,

Ken

Edited by ImKeN
1 person likes this

On 3/16/2017 at 6:28 PM, Tambarskjelve said:

Haunting me, no doubt!!
I must say I really admire Your voicecontroll. Outstanding!!

Thank you!  And thanks for stopping by and letting me know which one you prefer!

7 hours ago, ImKeN said:

Both versions are really good, Emily. But if I could only listen to one of those versions, I would choose 'Rescue Me' since the vocal melodies had more going on. Plus the arrangement and harmonies sounded really good, as well.

Beautiful vocals as always!

All the best,

Ken

Thanks for your input. Yes, I'm going to spruce up the haunting me version soon and see if that makes a difference overall. 

8 hours ago, MonoStone said:

Wow, I think both versions are fantastic. For my taste, you have something special there.

Lyrically, I prefer the 'Haunting Me' hook, but that might just be my taste.

The 'Haunting Me' version does have something more 'genuine' about it, as you say... it feels darker, not just lyrically, it feels haunted. And the hook 'Is Haunting Me' is fantastic not only lyrically.

At first Rescue Me won me over with the more 'pop' kind of vibe, still unusual but more candy....

...but I think Haunting Me is a better song overall, it needs polish (without losing the vibe) but I definitely prefer that one. The hook is way better than Rescue Me in many ways...and although I like the electronic vibe of Rescue Me, I LOVE the piano on Haunting me even more.

Incredible vocals on both.

Brilliant.

Dek

Thanks, Dek! Yes, something about those words, "haunting me," just ring better with the flow I think, too. I'm plan to spend some time with that one, to bring it to a quality of production that supercedes the Rescue You one, now that I've had some time to let both versions sink in, and have a bit of feedback.

Hi Emily - damn, I find it hard to pick which version I like, but I am going more towards Haunting You. I think your piano playing and singing are lovely and have a lot of Tori Amos and Kate Bush going on. I love that kind of weirdness that they are known for and I can hear that in your songs. It is very much a niche, but one that is liked by a lot of people who are fed up with how every female singer nowadays sounds the same. 

The lyrics are are really nice as well and you use some lovely descriptive words, that set this out from the norm. Well done.

1 person likes this

Kate Bush...absolutely similar.

I really like the way you sing.  Nice piano playing. Great lyrics on both.

Personally I really like dark songs so the Haunting Me is more up my alley. But I have to say I might listen to Rescue You more readily. It could be the better mix and production but I also like how that one comes across and it does have a more positive message. I have always felt it's easier to come up with something a little dark and depressing than something positive or happy. Might just be me though!

Can't go wrong with either one.

Not very helpful...sorry. 

Ricky

1 person likes this

I like both, because both are cool and "outside the box."  I wish the titles were too.  I think these titles are pretty lame in comparison.  I think the titles should be cool and outside the box too.  One I think would fit that bill for both songs would be Sea Salt & Vinegar, and . . . there's no law prohibiting you from doing both as S.S. & V. 1 and S.S. & V. 2.  They would make cool and outside the box opening and closing bookend songs for a CD.  Just sayin' . . .. :)

1 person likes this

6 hours ago, HoboSage said:

I like both, because both are cool and "outside the box."  I wish the titles were too.  I think these titles are pretty lame in comparison.  I think the titles should be cool and outside the box too.  One I think would fit that bill for both songs would be Sea Salt & Vinegar, and . . . there's no law prohibiting you from doing both as S.S. & V. 1 and S.S. & V. 2.  They would make cool and outside the box opening and closing bookend songs for a CD.  Just sayin' . . .. :)

Ahh, there's an idea!

I just might do the bookends thing whenever I come out with an actual album...

1 hour ago, emilyandersonmusic said:
8 hours ago, HoboSage said:

Oh, and it just occurred to me that when I was first writing this song (the first version, 'Haunting Me'), the working title was actually "Sea Salt and Vinegar," and I based the entire song off of that phrase. I was eating sea salt and vinegar chips when the inspiration hit. I only changed the title to something more searchable.

Posted (edited)

I must confess that, believe it or not, when I was listening to your songs, I was also eating such chips - truth. The universe is telling you to make that the title!  LOL :)

You could use parenthetical titles for each song: Sea Salt & Vinegar (Haunting Me) and Sea Salt & Vinegar (Rescue You).  Just an idea.  In terms of searches, I think those would be good titles as well.

Edited by HoboSage

Lyrically, "Haunting Me" is much more appealing to me but "Rescue You" sounded better. As many are suggesting here, you could retain both versions... just some more polishing, that's all :)

1 person likes this