Hey! So, I hope it's okay that I submit another Control Freak post because my other one got so crazy with pages of remixes and complete overhauls, and going in circles. I have spent some time to re-evaluate the production of this song and am submitting a fresh post after starting from the beginning, and letting this version sink in for a while, and still confirming to myself that I'm happy with it and would like to see it come to completion. I still may send this to a professional mixer/masterer, especially if the feedback from this forum suggests to me that I need another over-haul, but if I can avoid doing that, I would like to. 

So, this is what Control Freak is now, and I'm pleased with it, though it might be a bit busy in some spots, and I am forever grateful to you for your wonderful feedback, primarily regarding the production and mixing of this one.

Edited by emilyandersonmusic

Richard Tracey    275

Hi Emily - still like this track and your vocals sound really good, but could be a smidge higher in the mix, not a lot, but it would send better just above the music a bit more.

I think the drums during the verses are really good, but don't think they suit for the chorus part. Did you put them to follow one of the instruments on the chorus part? If not, I would maybe give that a try

The mix sounded really good and there was a lot of spacial depth going on.

On 3/19/2017 at 6:55 AM, Richard Tracey said:

Hi Emily - still like this track and your vocals sound really good, but could be a smidge higher in the mix, not a lot, but it would send better just above the music a bit more.

I think the drums during the verses are really good, but don't think they suit for the chorus part. Did you put them to follow one of the instruments on the chorus part? If not, I would maybe give that a try

The mix sounded really good and there was a lot of spacial depth going on.

I did not have the drums following anything, so I set it to follow the bass in the chorus, and I put my vocals forward a tad.

Thanks for your suggestions!

• Like 1

Ricky Layne    33

Nice work on this. I like the song.

The mix sounds pretty good and balanced to me. I was really wanting the music to ramp up during the chorus...crazier drums etc...

Would make a great synth rock song...its a little too laid back musically but the vocals are very cool.

Ricky

• Like 1

Emily, you have such a nice voice! With an eclectic touch, too :)

I just felt that your voice stood out and the rest of the music fell a little into the background... maybe the sounds can be made a little sharper, so that the song sounds a bit more cohesive. Also, the backing vocals you provided at the end are really soft.. maybe you could turn up the volume there? 

• Like 1

TCgypsy    114

Your production skills have improved dramatically since you first posted this song. You've accomplished major improvement in a short time; just keep doing songs, and you will continue to get better.

The song sounds nice now with a good balance. I don't think the vocals necessarily need to be louder, just 'bigger' for this type of song. It needs more punch, too, but it's worlds better than the first version you posted. I wouldn't spend a ton more time on this particular song at this point. Do some more songs and circle back to this one after a bit of a break. You will learn new things with each song, and it will give your ears time to reset.

Nice job!

Peace,

TC

• Like 2

Something else I was wondering about; Does the phrase "I'm a control freak, it keeps me classy" in the chorus sound odd and out of place?

I am wondering if it should be "I'm a control freak, don't need your critique" or...something completely different.

On 23/03/2017 at 1:53 AM, emilyandersonmusic said:

Something else I was wondering about; Does the phrase "I'm a control freak, it keeps me classy" in the chorus sound odd and out of place?

I am wondering if it should be "I'm a control freak, don't need your critique" or...something completely different.

The contradiction in the sentence itself is very catchy  (guess I'm odd, too... so don't mind some eccentricity ;) )

So, no, for me, that phrase works. 

• Like 1

Mahesh    485

Such a wonderful voice you have Emily.

I think the song is super catchy. In terms of the mix, I would agree that it is on the sharper side. It's mostly the synth and the hi hats and crashes that is making it seem like that, at least in my opinion. But you're definitely getting there with the mix. I'll keep an eye out for further updates.

Thanks for the lovely listen.

Mahesh

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Sreyashi Mukherjee said:

The contradiction in the sentence itself is very catchy  (guess I'm odd, too... so don't mind some eccentricity ;) )

So, no, for me, that phrase works. 

Thanks for your opinion. When I first wrote the song, it was "I'm a control freak, but I am tres chic" but I thought it was just too silly, so I changed it to "I'm a control freak, it keeps me classy" which was similar in meaning with the contradiction, but I felt more comfortable with it because it is less trendy sounding, which might help the song's longevity. Now, I've received feedback that it was odd and sounds like it is just there to make a rhyme, so I'm thinking of changing it again. Right now, top on my list is "I'm a control freak, won't miss a heartbeat" to suggest that I'm so much of a control freak I can't even let my heart beat go unnoticed. Then again, maybe I should just go back to the original version! I'm happy with every other lyric in this song, but this one has given me problems from the get go! Anyway, thanks again! I'm glad this one doesn't feel out of place to you.

1 hour ago, Mahesh said:

Such a wonderful voice you have Emily.

I think the song is super catchy. In terms of the mix, I would agree that it is on the sharper side. It's mostly the synth and the hi hats and crashes that is making it seem like that, at least in my opinion. But you're definitely getting there with the mix. I'll keep an eye out for further updates.

Thanks for the lovely listen.

Mahesh

Thank you! Yes, I hear that too, and will definitely spend some time softening it. I may enlist the help of a professional to finish this one off for me. Appreciate your input!

On 3/21/2017 at 3:51 PM, TCgypsy said:

Your production skills have improved dramatically since you first posted this song. You've accomplished major improvement in a short time; just keep doing songs, and you will continue to get better.

The song sounds nice now with a good balance. I don't think the vocals necessarily need to be louder, just 'bigger' for this type of song. It needs more punch, too, but it's worlds better than the first version you posted. I wouldn't spend a ton more time on this particular song at this point. Do some more songs and circle back to this one after a bit of a break. You will learn new things with each song, and it will give your ears time to reset.

Nice job!

Peace,

TC

Thank you! Indeed, I think I have this in a good spot to leave it be for a while and focus on some other things. I appreciate your feedback!

On 3/17/2017 at 4:01 PM, emilyandersonmusic said:

Hey! So, I hope it's okay that I submit another Control Freak post because my other one got so crazy with pages of remixes and complete overhauls, and going in circles. I have spent some time to re-evaluate the production of this song and am submitting a fresh post after starting from the beginning, and letting this version sink in for a while, and still confirming to myself that I'm happy with it and would like to see it come to completion. I still may send this to a professional mixer/masterer, especially if the feedback from this forum suggests to me that I need another over-haul, but if I can avoid doing that, I would like to. 

So, this is what Control Freak is now, and I'm pleased with it, though it might be a bit busy in some spots, and I am forever grateful to you for your wonderful feedback, primarily regarding the production and mixing of this one.

Ok, it's possible that I am totally off on this, but I wanted to share my thought anyway since I kept thinking about it as I was listening.  In the choruses, it sounded like maybe you were standing close to the mic when you were recording it, which gives it a more intimate sound.  However, given all the produced, driving electronics, it didn't strike me as a super intimate song, so I think it may sound better (and I know rerecording is a pain) to record it standing a little further away from the mic, so it makes it easier to make it sound like you are on a stage rather than right next to the listener.  It felt like the vocals needed some kind of effect, like reverb or echo or something else along those lines, to match the electronics.  

By the way, I LOVE your voice and think the harmonies are beautiful.  Also, in verse 1, the instruments sounded slightly overpowering over the vocals, but in verse 2 it didn't, so that could be something to look at.  Also, the way your recorded the vocals in the bridge and the balance with the instrumentation sounds great to me.  Just some things to think about :)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, emilyandersonmusic said:

Thanks for your opinion. When I first wrote the song, it was "I'm a control freak, but I am tres chic" but I thought it was just too silly, so I changed it to "I'm a control freak, it keeps me classy" which was similar in meaning with the contradiction, but I felt more comfortable with it because it is less trendy sounding, which might help the song's longevity. Now, I've received feedback that it was odd and sounds like it is just there to make a rhyme, so I'm thinking of changing it again. Right now, top on my list is "I'm a control freak, won't miss a heartbeat" to suggest that I'm so much of a control freak I can't even let my heart beat go unnoticed. Then again, maybe I should just go back to the original version! I'm happy with every other lyric in this song, but this one has given me problems from the get go! Anyway, thanks again! I'm glad this one doesn't feel out of place to you.

I like this line "it keeps me classy."  Every time it came around I thought, hmm that's cool :)  It puts a positive spin on being a control freak, so it's a nice little "I like me and you better not have a problem with it" kind of song.  It didn't strike me as unnatural, so just my input on that :)

• Like 1

On 3/24/2017 at 10:40 PM, Teresa Anderson said:

Ok, it's possible that I am totally off on this, but I wanted to share my thought anyway since I kept thinking about it as I was listening.  In the choruses, it sounded like maybe you were standing close to the mic when you were recording it, which gives it a more intimate sound.  However, given all the produced, driving electronics, it didn't strike me as a super intimate song, so I think it may sound better (and I know rerecording is a pain) to record it standing a little further away from the mic, so it makes it easier to make it sound like you are on a stage rather than right next to the listener.  It felt like the vocals needed some kind of effect, like reverb or echo or something else along those lines, to match the electronics.  

By the way, I LOVE your voice and think the harmonies are beautiful.  Also, in verse 1, the instruments sounded slightly overpowering over the vocals, but in verse 2 it didn't, so that could be something to look at.  Also, the way your recorded the vocals in the bridge and the balance with the instrumentation sounds great to me.  Just some things to think about :)

Thank you, Teresa for your helpful input and for letting me know your thoughts. I'll definitely work on these things!

• Like 1

Oswlek    88

Sweet!  It's not exactly my style so I must confess I'd probably have clicked away had this come on the radio.... but I'm so glad I stuck with it.  Everything from the change at 1:40 on was totally on point, simply divine.  It wasn't just the big movements, either, little things like the backing vox at 2:23 all added to a perfect sonic landscape.  Great vocals as well during that part.

You should be proud of this.  Well done.

• Like 2