Your Ad Could Be Here

Know Songtradr?

Hi guys,

I just came across a company online called Songtradr(https://www.songtradr.com). They're kind of like an A&R company. Is anyone familiar with their services?

I'm considering signing up in the near future but I just wanted to ask around first for more first hand information. Forgive me for spamming!

Thanks.

Edited by ImKeN

On 3/21/2017 at 1:17 AM, HoboSage said:

I have no first-hand experience with them, but I've read their legal stuff, and I wouldn't describe them as an A&R company.  They're a music rights broker, putting indie artists together with music rights purchasers, and acting as the middle man to consummate those legally-binding transactions - transactions for mechanical licensing, and for the assignment of publishing copyrights and master sound recording rights.   That's how I see it, anyway.  It seems to be a valuable service in the industry.  But, you should have a good understanding of what you're getting into legally by uploading your stuff to them before you do.  

Thanks, David! I will check the legal stuff.

I did hear some of the talent that's already with Songtradr and they sound REALLY good at what they do. It made me wanna work harder with my own music!

Thanks again for the advice.

Ken

Edited by ImKeN

• 6 months later...

So Andy(my collaborator/lyricist) submitted a pop/country song(we wrote back in 2011) to 3 different licensing opportunities(non-exclusive), and we got 3 for 3! It's not a perfect song but we're glad it has some use ;)

Here's the link to the song: https://www.songtradr.com/songs/ken-fukuda/high-school-day-dream/1

Ken

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

When dealing with copyrights, you really need to understand the terminology – and the fine print.

We happen to own the rights to a few songs that are extremely obscure except for the fact that a household-name artist recorded them (along with ten-bezillion other songs, on several new records a year, as was the custom ...).  We get those royalties because of a songwriter credit on the original marketing contract.  Although we do not own the US Copyright itself, we are entitled to royalties each and every time the song is used, anywhere in the world.  And a Performing Rights Organization (PRO), in this case BMI, monitors those world-wide uses and pays us.

Every few years, another company sends us $50.  These are the (worthless ...) "mechanicals," which cover physical sales of physical media which includes the recordings.  Back in the day, many artists were suckered into giving away their copyrights and their songwriting credits in exchange for these.

These days, there are two things to remember most:

1. Register your copyright (in the United States), and never, ever sell it.  As you will see on http://copyright.gov, you can register a "collection" of songs for a single $35.00 online payment.  (The concept and purpose of "a collection" is simply administrative, to make the physical work-flow of the Copyright Office more manageable.)  No one will touch your song unless they or their lawyers can look-up your record and verify that you, in fact, own the song that you are peddling.
  2. Sign up with a Performing Rights Organization (PRO), such as BMI, ASCAP, or SESAC, both as an author and as a publisher.  These are the organizations which handle licensing and payments.  No one will deal with you directly.

And maybe one more thing:  "Build up a catalog of songs."  Sears & Roebuck, back in the day, didn't really care which product you bought from their catalog, as long as you bought from their catalog.  And they did everything that they could to make their catalog thicker . . . 

Yes, "Sears & Roebuck" was the world's first Amazon.  You could buy everything from a blanket to a house(!) to a skillet to a tombstone(!) in their catalog.

Edited by MikeRobinson
  • Like 1