Your Ad Could Be Here

Do we need another teacher?

I'm the type of guy who is constantly seeking music video's on youtube.  And when I find myself really enjoying someone's music they are often offering lessons.  I often wonder why they simply can't play and that will be enough.  Obviously it's not for them.  Offering lessons gives them more views and allows them to supplement their income.  Sometimes I think that the only one's interested in instrument performance are musicians.

I say this as... I've been thinking of taking jazz lessons again.  Simply to have someone to jam with.  While I love playing with biab it will never replace playing with others and showing off my chops.

Hey Mike

I know several guitarists who offer lessons, Erik Mongraine and Jon Gomm, Ally McErlaine (Texas guitarist). They make less money than they used to and it's simple economics if you want to have professional musicians these days. Especially if they do not want to be pertually touring.

From everyone else's perspective I think it is great. Those guys all offer 1 to 1 lessons via Skype.

Then there are sites that offer tuition on video. For example 3.5 hours of video lessons by Christine Aguilera for singers.

Exposure to techniques directly from people you admire...  ideal.

Cheers

John

I love to be taught. I don't think I'll ever stop learning, However, I don't seem to take as well to some online learning resources.

In some cases it's probably the video production and/or a short attention span when being bombarded with a lot of technical mumbo jumbo. The main advantage to a flesh and blood in the same room teacher for me is, they can tell when I'm not getting it, actually approach me and show me how to hold my instrument or make other suggestions based on what they see. One on one Skype would be a close second.Still not a substitute IMO.

I believe learning styles have a lot to do with it. 

When I watch mixing videos I can't do that all day. I'll take in a video and give it a rest for awhile. After having a real teacher I wouldn't want to go back to computer videos as a replacement.

I would personally augment anything I did online with real musician interaction. I don't think anything can replace that. The craigslist musician scene here is just weird. It can be a challenge to find someone good to play with or take lessons from. If you're 30 or over, you can usually forget it if you want to join a band here. 

I'm thinking about  joining a local community orchestra. Age isn't usually a problem in those. Several local acoustic groups around here where you can just show up. If you know the tunes you can join in, if you don't know the tunes you can sit in the back ground and play while trying to learn the tunes so long as you stay out of the way :)

Jazz? I'm not sure. Around here there's plenty of jazz around. This genre tends to attract more seasoned musicians because of the things you can do in Jazz that you can't get away with in other genres. It's the melding of the western musical structure really.

On 25/03/2017 at 4:15 PM, TapperMike said:

I'm the type of guy who is constantly seeking music video's on youtube.  And when I find myself really enjoying someone's music they are often offering lessons.  I often wonder why they simply can't play and that will be enough.  Obviously it's not for them.  Offering lessons gives them more views and allows them to supplement their income.  Sometimes I think that the only one's interested in instrument performance are musicians.

I say this as... I've been thinking of taking jazz lessons again.  Simply to have someone to jam with.  While I love playing with biab it will never replace playing with others and showing off my chops.

It sounds like you need a collaboration rather than lessons. Are there any jam events etc. in your area?

Blues jams and I'm usually working.  So any collaboration would have to be done during daylight.

I got a little confused initially reading the heading and the matter, as I thought it had something to do with working with multiple teachers  <silly grin>.
Well, what I do feel we need is the enthusiasm and willingness to learn. It doesn't matter where the learning comes from – it could be from one of those online or offline classes by “yet another teacher” or by working with other musicians or even by one’s efforts of self-introspection.

As for those who decide to become trainers, they have their reasons to do so. But if it is for the love of teaching, then that is to be admired. A good teacher is one who is the embodiment of all that he/she preaches, making him/her a learner forever and an idol to look up to. So, more power to them!

Archived