• Announcements

• Songstuff

New Chat App   06/02/2017

We have a new chat app available. You will need to sign up for it. You can pick up the invite link at the top of your member hub page:   http://forums.songstuff.com/member/hub/   Remember to use your Songstuff registered email and user name when you sign up! Using the invite link will automatically add you to the Songstuff chat channel.
starise

Sea Of Glass

26 posts in this topic

This music had words but I decided to use those words on another song and make this an instrumental. Intended to be relaxing music. I caught several small things so far. The harmonica is slightly out of tune with the rest.I'm not sure why since it's a harmonica in D I played. I liked the effect of it being a little off. I haven't tried to tune it yet. Since I mixed multiple guitar parts I tried to mix in a way that they didn't get in the way. I may need to refine that some more.

For this genre, I didn't want to make the mix too overly loud, yet I wanted it to translate at say, a mid volume to comfortable hear it. 

Comments welcome.

2 people like this

Hey there Starise....this actually stands very well as an ambiance setter. Very rich, warm and soothing. Brings me back to my camping days out in the Arizona deserts....waking up to the fragrance of light dew in the early morning as the sun begins to wisp it all away.

Beautiful!

-Tom

Thank you Tom. I think i'll see about some of those minor tuning issues or at least try to minimize it in the mix. I really appreciate the feedback. Thanks!

I want to go to Arizona this year. I've never been there. Been an east coaster all my life. :)

Already listened on soundcloud lastly and it's always moving to listen...

Beautiful work again, Tim... Great emotion in this melody...

Thank you Matthew. I had a few things I wanted to do differently but I've been too busy. Hopefully I'll get back to it. I REALLY appreciate you commenting.

bach%20-%20Copy_zpssfnankoz.jpg

This is lovely - feel calmer with just one listen :) Thanks for posting. 

Very nice atmospheric composition.

I liked the interplay of the multiple guitar parts. Nice use of interdependent motifs to give it movement.

The mix seemed a tad bright. You can probably tweak the harmonica a few cents with the stock pitch correction plugin in your DAW. I don't mind it being dead on pitch-wise but I do think it could use a few cents to bring it a bit closer. I would warmup the EQ on the harmonica a little bit (cut 3K bring up 300Hz).

Sounds good!

Peace,

TC

Posted (edited)

FWIW, the only thing I don't like is the title.  No doubt the brightness of the mix has something to do with it.  But, I think it's more the fairly hard and loud guitar picking - the music is actually pretty dynamic to me, and imparts energy - positive energy - but energy.  For me, it's not calm or soothing.  But, I like it a lot nonetheless.  I just don't think the title reflects the way the music actually makes me feel.  But, that's just me. :)

Edited by HoboSage
1 person likes this

AlexVIII- Thanks for listening and commenting.

TC- Thanks for that detailed review. I still haven't had the chance to go back to it. I plan to do so this week sometime. I agree it does have a slight edge to it. I maybe need to back off of that brightness slightly. I have pitch correction in my software. Might be a good way to do this.

David- Thanks for listening and  for your comments. In hindsight maybe I should have looked at a different title for this. I wanted it to have a calm feel. One thing I've noticed, some acoustic guitar recordings really take a lot of high end off, almost to the point of it sounding muffled. I am seriously thinking about using compare software so I can make a good comparison to similar music. 

Here's the original tune before I decided to take out the words and use it for an instrumental. This was the rough draft and " Sea Of Glass" was a poetic comparison to " Still waters".

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0V4PTrhpWo_R2xIZmZVSEhwQ00/view

Lovely.  I've recently noticed how acoustic is often less bright as well, but I think it works here because the acoustic is the feature instrument.  In other songs with tamer acoustics, it is usually supporting a vocal or lead melody.

That said, it might be worth polishing off just a smidgen of brightness because it might stand a little too much in this mix.  Don't overdo it, though. :)

Soothing sounds Tim. Love the ambiance. A tiny bit too loud on the high frequency spectrum (Mainly the guitars) for my taste but other than that, nothing to nit at. 

Thanks for sharing !

Cheers

Posted (edited)

Oswlek, Thank you for listening and for your thoughts. After listening to other similar mixes I remixed the track. I tried to keep the dynamics and lose the excessive high end sheen.

Thank you Simon. Took some of the high frequencies down a bit. I'm glad I asked for comments. I like this last mix 4/5 much better. Thank you for commenting.

Edited by starise

I'm so glad I stumbled across this one Starise, and I'm so happy to see you posting again. This song is very beautiful, and so soothing, and uplifting at the same time :)

It stands on its own perfectly, but since you mentioned lyrics, I'm now curious as to what it would sound like, with them [smiley=hippy.gif]

Thanks Suzy! I try to get by and put something up when I have the chance. On lyrics-  I attempted lyrics on this and had the help of someone else. It seemed very difficult unless I trimmed it musically, things didn't fit correctly, but who knows? Maybe it still has that potential..were you hearing something lyric in it ?

Thanks for your comments Suzy! 

This is quite beautiful. Very soothing. Your work always has such a wonderful depth and clarity.

I really didn't notice an issue with the harmonica until the very last note. The only thing that I'd probably pick at would be the sound of the violin. It sounds a bit synthetic and could probably come up just a touch in volume because it is carrying the melody. I mention it because in an instrumental where every sound is authentically analog, it strikes me as being slightly out of place (in terms of "authenticity"). Do you have or have access to a sample library that uses switches between playing styles? If so, it would really be worth spending some time and focusing on that instrument.

beautiful song very calming 

On 3/28/2017 at 1:01 AM, IronKnee said:

Brings me back to my camping days

Wonderfully done.  Excellent musicianship.  It has a very open and airy feel to it.  It evokes emotion...an thoughts of good memories in the listener....well it did in this listener at least.:)  As one poster said the it made him think of his camping days.  

On 3/27/2017 at 9:34 PM, starise said:

.......had words but I decided to use those words on another song and make this an instrumental.

No words needed, Sometimes we just need to say "enough, it's finished" and in this case I believe that holds true.   I wouldn't touch it!

On 2017-04-13 at 5:10 AM, starise said:

Thanks Suzy! I try to get by and put something up when I have the chance. On lyrics-  I attempted lyrics on this and had the help of someone else. It seemed very difficult unless I trimmed it musically, things didn't fit correctly, but who knows? Maybe it still has that potential..were you hearing something lyric in it ?

Thanks for your comments Suzy! 

Hi Starise, I wasn't hearing anything in particular...I was just kinda curious as to what you had lyrically, but the more i listen to it, the more I like it just as it is [smiley=hippy.gif]

this is very beautiful Tim!

It is very relaxing and has this very meditative feel to it..I feel drawn into it and get very relaxed.

I like the harmonica that comes in sometimes.. I like it a lot

Tim - this is really pleasant and the production sounds good to my ears. But you know what... the whole time I was listening I kept wanting to hear vocals. The song is screaming out for a nice vocal over the top of it. It kind of had a Seasick Steve feel for me and that was the kind of vocal I heard in my head. Your playing of the instruments is excellent. 

Gry, I blush every time you come by and I don't know why. Thanks for coming by to comment. 

Richard, are you up for singing? 

4 hours ago, starise said:

Gry, I blush every time you come by and I don't know why. Thanks for coming by to comment. 

Richard, are you up for singing? 

I could give it a try if you want Tim. Might give me a break from my own stuff and John thinks it might help to collaborate with others.

I definitely like this, instrumental's are not normally my thing, but yeah definitely love this. Tuning? Sometimes it's the imperfections that make things perfect. :)

Thank you Steve. Richard this might be fun. I'll try and get you some more info soon. Thanks!

1 person likes this

I unlocked downloads on this track temporarily. Anyone who might like to have a go at it feel free. I'll probably leave it unlocked for a few days.

If you want instruments leveled to better fit voice I can do that. Richard if you try it and nothing comes of it no sweat. Sing to the track, record yourself and PM me. I'll get you a link to my google drive. If possible no mp3's. Wave files PLEASE. I only need the vocal recording, please don't  also record the music. Thanks!

1 person likes this

I think at around 2:05 the harmonica's volume peaks a bit too loudly.

I also think at some point bringing in a cello for some lower frequencies would sound sweet - even if the cello just bowed the root bass note, maybe droning for the first 4-count, pausing, then bowing the for the next 4-count, etc.