Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I have NEVER written a duet, but it's become a recent curiosity of mine.  The most recent duets that come to mind for me is the one with Cheryl Crow and Kid Rock and one by Tim McGraw and Taylor Swift.  I'm due for a study I suppose.  I think it might be kind of a fun experiment. Aren't most of them love songs?  What other topics besides love have been done as duets? And ...are there structure demands for duets? 

 

Please feel free to share the names of duet songs here.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ImKeN    258

Three duets came to mind, the first one isn't really a duet but I like it. :)

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mbjo7NjrV4M    

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UVNT4wvIGY

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9G4jnaznUoQ  <---- Famous duet about dancing.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love duets! Perhaps that’s because they aren’t as common as solos and group or band performances. Most are male-female combinations, so love/heartbreak would be the main theme. I can currently think of one non-romance themed duet song that has been covered by many opposite gender artists – The Prayer. As a reference, here’s a link of one such version:

 
 
Somehow, I like the male-female combinations more due to the complementary nature of the singers’ voices. When it comes to duets by singers of the same gender, there’s an element of comparison that tends to come up as to who did it better (my thoughts). Some examples :
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
But then, there’s no formula. So, anything can work  :) The other day, I came across a duet which was actually a competition (if you follow “The Voice”, you would know the format) but it sounded like heaven! Here’s the link :
 
 
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Sreyashi Mukherjee said:

Somehow, I like the male-female combinations more due to the complementary nature of the singers’ voices. When it comes to duets by singers of the same gender, there’s an element of comparison that tends to come up as to who did it better (my thoughts). Some examples :

 

I wasn't able to access the Celine Dion and Andrea Botecelli YouTube.  I can only imagine how fabulous those two must sound together.  I agree with you on the male/female duets.  I love the contrast between a really masculine voice and a really feminine voice.  I remember when Neil Diamond and Barbera Streisand sang, You don't Bring Me flowers Anymore, he had such a gruff feel to his voice and hers so clear and melodious that to me it was a perfect match.  Same with Kenny Rogers and Dolly Parton.  I also really liked the combo of Kid Rock and Sheryl Crow.  

 

I prefer if ladies sing together that they harmonize like when Linda Ronstadt, Dolly Parton and Emmylou Harris harmonized together.  That was pretty awesome.  Dixie Chicks is another good example as well as  Shedaisy.  The Traveling Wilburys and The Highway Men were the male counterpart to that and I like the male harmonies real well, too, but when it comes to duets, I have a strong preference for male/female like you do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Pahchisme Plaid said:

I prefer if ladies sing together that they harmonize like when Linda Ronstadt, Dolly Parton and Emmylou Harris harmonized together.  

 

I haven't heard this one but will check it out. I keep searching for good female voices to draw inspiration from :)  Coming back to duets and specifically Dixie Chicks, I do like them a lot (though technically, it's a group) and happen to recall a song of Stevie Nicks that they had performed together with her - Landslide :

 

 

 I'm not sure if this is technically called a duet format, since they all basically sing together but still feature two different individuals/entities. Maybe you can enlighten me on the same :)

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/4/2017 at 6:55 AM, Sreyashi Mukherjee said:

 

I haven't heard this one but will check it out. I keep searching for good female voices to draw inspiration from :)  Coming back to duets and specifically Dixie Chicks, I do like them a lot (though technically, it's a group) and happen to recall a song of Stevie Nicks that they had performed together with her - Landslide :

 

 

 I'm not sure if this is technically called a duet format, since they all basically sing together but still feature two different individuals/entities. Maybe you can enlighten me on the same :)

 

They aren't considered a duet. Linda, Emmylou and Dolly just happens to be a harmonizing trio.  They aren't current, but still great nonetheless.

 

Edited by Pahchisme Plaid
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sreyashi, some female voices I think are great are:

 

Colby Caillat

Eva Cassidy

Sarah McLaughlin

Linda Ronstadt

Susan Tedeschi (blues)

Alison Krauss

Jo Dee Mesina

Norah Jones 

Patsy Cline

Tricia Yearwood

Naomi and Wynonna Judd (the Judds)

Natalie Merchant

The Barlow Girls

Christina Aguilera

Tracey Chapman

Amy Perry ( in the band called "Selah")

Kathy Troccoli

Martina McBride

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ImKeN    258

Alison Krauss is amazing, absolutely love her voice - it's really too good to be true! Shania Twain is also a personal favorite of mine.

 

This is a duet that I came across a couple of years back and it has remained one of my favorites, since. Sreyashi also mentioned one of his duets and I must say, his voice is as amazing in duets as it is in his own performances.

 

 

Edited by ImKeN
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I couldn't watch that YouTube.  It says not available in my country.  That's the same message I got on the one Sreyashi posted with Andrea Bocelli and Celine Dion.  I'll have to google search them. :P

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 07/04/2017 at 7:44 PM, Pahchisme Plaid said:

Sreyashi, some female voices I think are great are:

 

Colby Caillat

Eva Cassidy

Sarah McLaughlin

Linda Ronstadt

Susan Tedeschi (blues)

Alison Krauss

Jo Dee Mesina

Norah Jones 

Patsy Cline

Tricia Yearwood

Naomi and Wynonna Judd (the Judds)

Natalie Merchant

The Barlow Girls

Christina Aguilera

Tracey Chapman

Amy Perry ( in the band called "Selah")

Kathy Troccoli

Martina McBride

 

Whoa... super excited to see this list! Some I know of and some I don't. But will check them out in detail and revert with my observations. Thanks a lot! Oh... And I just loove Tracy Chapman.. been a while since I've listened to her songs. Will definitely go back there again :)

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×