Jenn

Microphones under $100?

17 posts in this topic

So I'm growing tired of using my headphones microphone.. and would have so so so much fun with a real one. Any suggestions for one under $100? preferably closer to $50? I'm not looking for anything too fancy.. just something not attached to my head! Thank you!

I was going to reply. I see you've already got one. Congrats! 

4 minutes ago, starise said:

I was going to reply. I see you've already got one. Congrats! 

wait, what?

Didn't you say you just bought a mic on another thread?

Posted (edited)

13 minutes ago, starise said:

Didn't you say you just bought a mic on another thread?

no ahah.. my music program at school has a mic that you can hook up to a speaker.. but i'm looking for my own!

Edited by Jenn

Sorry!! I must have confused you with someone else. A usb microphone is probably best  to start. I only say this because it appears you're using a usb mic/headphones now. 

Here is my suggestion. Buy Blemished and save $$. If you have a problem with it you can send it back, Simply hang onto the shipping info. This one comes with cables so you can record into iphones, android MAC and PC. FWIW I've never had to send a mic blem back. It was usually just someone ordered it and decided to get something else.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/ik-multimedia-irig-mic-studio?rNtt=irig microphone&index=1&condition=used#used

You will still need your headphones or another pair of headphones so you can hear yourself.

The blue looks best....Jenn I was looking for something on the cheap for you since you had such a low budget. I would read the reviews on both mics you selected.

The Blue mics are really catching on with lots of home studio people. If you look at the specs they aren't really anything much different than anything else in the same price points. I personally think it's the new look of the blues that has mainly gained them appeal. I have a blue Yeti at home. It's a good usb mic that can potentially stand in as a vocal mic. There's a bunch of Blue Yeti's on ebay. I'm ever the bargain hunter, if you demand new, then I guess used isn't for you. I picked up my Yeti for about 30.00.

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, starise said:

The blue looks best....Jenn I was looking for something on the cheap for you since you had such a low budget. I would read the reviews on both mics you selected.

The Blue mics are really catching on with lots of home studio people. If you look at the specs they aren't really anything much different than anything else in the same price points. I personally think it's the new look of the blues that has mainly gained them appeal. I have a blue Yeti at home. It's a good usb mic that can potentially stand in as a vocal mic. There's a bunch of Blue Yeti's on ebay. I'm ever the bargain hunter, if you demand new, then I guess used isn't for you. I picked up my Yeti for about 30.00.

I'm a huge bargain hunter!!! I went to Guitar Center and the Blue was $100... when I've seen it as low as $40 online. Trust me.. the instant gratification of buying it was definitely there, but I couldn't justify spending $50 on it, let alone $100.. 

I don't have an Ebay and don't want to go through paypal and everything..

But I saw that even my music teacher has a Blue. 

Edited by Jenn

I have a Blue condenser mic and it is fantastic, but picks up everything in the house it is that sensitive. I ended up going for an AKG mic after reading a lot of reviews online and it is great. The Blue needs power to work, the AKG doesn't. It still has a great sound, but not as sensitive.

4 minutes ago, Richard Tracey said:

I have a Blue condenser mic and it is fantastic, but picks up everything in the house it is that sensitive. I ended up going for an AKG mic after reading a lot of reviews online and it is great. The Blue needs power to work, the AKG doesn't. It still has a great sound, but not as sensitive.

yeah i think i was reading that it was very sensitive... can i ask what model of AKG you have? i just did a quick search, and most of them are over $100... but i did find this one

https://www.amazon.com/AKG-Perception-Professional-Studio-Microphone/dp/B00160PRBU/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1492616926&sr=8-7&keywords=AKG+mic

11 minutes ago, Jenn said:

yeah i think i was reading that it was very sensitive... can i ask what model of AKG you have? i just did a quick search, and most of them are over $100... but i did find this one

https://www.amazon.com/AKG-Perception-Professional-Studio-Microphone/dp/B00160PRBU/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1492616926&sr=8-7&keywords=AKG+mic

Hi Jenn - this is the one I bought, although I'm sure it was reduced further when I got it:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/AKG-Dynamic-Handheld-Vocal-Microphone/dp/B000S5JKRQ

I think she has a laptop with no interface tho or no? 

1 hour ago, Richard Tracey said:

Hi Jenn - this is the one I bought, although I'm sure it was reduced further when I got it:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/AKG-Dynamic-Handheld-Vocal-Microphone/dp/B000S5JKRQ

ah... this doesn't look bad.. i'll have to compare this one to the one i found. does it need a pop filter??

10 minutes ago, starise said:

I think she has a laptop with no interface tho or no? 

i have a mac with garageband on it?? if that helps?

Ya, his mic needs an interface. The thingy that plugs into your computer that you need to plug it into. Nice mic though.

Yeah, sorry the mics I have require the interface. I think they possibly do a USB version, would need to check.