Richard Tracey    252

Hi all - haven't managed to get on much lately due to work and family commitments, but I started this a couple of weeks ago and meant to have had it finished by now, but can't find the time to continue with it.

I am just looking for an overall feel from everyone to see whether the track seems to be working so far. The vocals are a temp at the moment just so I could get a feel for them. The lyrics were something I wrote for one of ImKen's tracks, but felt they worked with this piece. The drums were played by me for a change as I wanted something simple. The instrumental part is nowhere near finished instruments wise, but does it sound better with less and then build it up? What about the vocal harmonies? Any input would be much appreciated as it may give me the kick up the butt to get on with it.

Anyway, thanks for listening and I am going to try and devote some time over the weekend to have a listen to the stuff you have all been posting.

Cheers

Richard

https://soundcloud.com/moodman-1/guiding-light-25032017-2327/s-AVXXr

• Like 2

Chalter    6

Hi Richard

This is definitely working so far! Drums are nice but could do with some variation at some point. I like the build up although the vocals sort of overpower everything else so it makes the build up less noticeable in a way, maybe you could start with sparser, quieter vocals and then ramp it up towards the end of the build up. Or you could keep the instruments simple for a while and then suddenly bring lots of instruments in later. Not sure what would work best. Finally, your vocals are awesome, they work very well with the feel of the song. Keep at it!!

Chalter

• Like 1

bakerusc    8

I love the sound! Hello 80's, one of the best era's in music! It sounds like this is a starting point for you. Please keep us up to date when you finish this song!

Vocals, lyrics, vibe/feel are great!

• Like 1

Hi, Richard :)

I like it... reminds me somehow of Modern Talking... so that's a trip down memory lane :D

You're obviously building up this song more and my only suggestion for now is regarding the "huh-huh" hook. It sounds very catchy when the song starts, but when you start singing the main verses, the hooks seem to clash a little with them in some sections. So, you might consider playing around with the volume so that these are more of a background effect. I also feel that as the song progresses, you could have the hook branching out into 1-2 harmonies.

Looking forward to hearing the full song!

Sreyashi/Sumi

• Like 1

Richard Tracey    252
On 08/04/2017 at 0:24 PM, Chalter said:

Hi Richard

This is definitely working so far! Drums are nice but could do with some variation at some point. I like the build up although the vocals sort of overpower everything else so it makes the build up less noticeable in a way, maybe you could start with sparser, quieter vocals and then ramp it up towards the end of the build up. Or you could keep the instruments simple for a while and then suddenly bring lots of instruments in later. Not sure what would work best. Finally, your vocals are awesome, they work very well with the feel of the song. Keep at it!!

Chalter

Hi Chalter - thanks listening.

Yeah, you are right the drums could do with some variation, which will be done when I start fixing this track up. I think the vocals are probably sitting a bit to high, but that should be fixed during the mixing stage and I will definitely think about having it quieter then building it up, as I see the track going that way, or I hear it like that in my head anyway. I am going to be adding more instrumentation, I just haven't found the sounds I am looking for yet, as again, I can hear the song in my head and know what I want it to sound like.

Thanks for the compliment on the vocals, it is very much appreciated. These were a first take to make sure I am happy with how they sound and then I will re-do them once the music is finished and I have all the lyrics locked down.

R

• Like 1

Richard Tracey    252
On 08/04/2017 at 6:53 PM, bakerusc said:

I love the sound! Hello 80's, one of the best era's in music! It sounds like this is a starting point for you. Please keep us up to date when you finish this song!

Vocals, lyrics, vibe/feel are great!

Hi bakerusc - thanks for listening.

I love the 80's - that is my era for music and is still the strongest for the amount of interesting songs and experimentation in sound (in my view anyway).

I am trying to do that style, but bring it up to date a bit.

I'm glad to you like the vibe and I will definitely be continuing with this one.

Cheers

R

Richard Tracey    252
39 minutes ago, Sreyashi Mukherjee said:

Hi, Richard :)

I like it... reminds me somehow of Modern Talking... so that's a trip down memory lane :D

You're obviously building up this song more and my only suggestion for now is regarding the "huh-huh" hook. It sounds very catchy when the song starts, but when you start singing the main verses, the hooks seem to clash a little with them in some sections. So, you might consider playing around with the volume so that these are more of a background effect. I also feel that as the song progresses, you could have the hook branching out into 1-2 harmonies.

Looking forward to hearing the full song!

Sreyashi/Sumi

Hi Sreyashi - thanks for listening.

Modern Talking is a trip down memory lane, although not one I want to remember ;) ha ha

Yeah, this is a very quick snapshot of how I imagine the song going. I'll have a look at the parts you think are clashing, as it may just be a case of tweaking the volumes, which I will do once the song is finished and I look to mixing it (I normally mix as I go along now as it is easier). 

I am also trying to experiment with harmonies a bit more, as this is the area I feel lacking in for ideas, but I liked how I did it on this track, so will look and see what else I can add.

I hope to continue with this track, if I can get some time and stop coming up with new ideas for other songs - lol.

Cheers

R

outss    11

I like the drums and the piano that comes in (along with the airy vocals) give me off an 80s vibe indeed. The synth gives it a cool vibe too! I think the songwriting is pretty good, the way the chords transition makes for an effective pop contrast. Maybe for the climax u could add an electric guitar doing power chords, as u already have everything else pretty much nailing it. Maybe experiment with more harmonies on your vocals? Maybe high octaves for the chorus?.. Keep it up!

-Outss.

• Like 1

Richard Tracey    252
15 minutes ago, outss said:

I like the drums and the piano that comes in (along with the airy vocals) give me off an 80s vibe indeed. The synth gives it a cool vibe too! I think the songwriting is pretty good, the way the chords transition makes for an effective pop contrast. Maybe for the climax u could add an electric guitar doing power chords, as u already have everything else pretty much nailing it. Maybe experiment with more harmonies on your vocals? Maybe high octaves for the chorus?.. Keep it up!

-Outss.

Hey Outss - thanks for listening.

Glad you seem to like what is there so far - it was another one of my quick compositions that I didn't manage to finish due to other commitments, but I really need to finish this as I really like where it's going.

Unfortunately, there will be no power guitar on it as I don't know how to play, but I have plans for adding more instrumentation, so hopefully that might have the same effect.

I am going to look at adding more harmonies - the next bit that comes after what's there, will work really well for that. This song will seem a bit different with the structure as the next bit will feel like a chorus/bridge type thing - well in my head it seems like that.

Cheers

R

outss    11
10 minutes ago, Richard Tracey said:

Hey Outss - thanks for listening.

Glad you seem to like what is there so far - it was another one of my quick compositions that I didn't manage to finish due to other commitments, but I really need to finish this as I really like where it's going.

Unfortunately, there will be no power guitar on it as I don't know how to play, but I have plans for adding more instrumentation, so hopefully that might have the same effect.

I am going to look at adding more harmonies - the next bit that comes after what's there, will work really well for that. This song will seem a bit different with the structure as the next bit will feel like a chorus/bridge type thing - well in my head it seems like that.

Cheers

R

Nice let me know how it goes! Could u return the feedback at all? cHEERs. 

ImKeN    258
On 4/8/2017 at 6:29 PM, Richard Tracey said:

I am just looking for an overall feel from everyone to see whether the track seems to be working so far. The instrumental part is nowhere near finished instruments wise, but does it sound better with less and then build it up? What about the vocal harmonies?

Sounding great, Richard! A very retro feel to the vocals and the harmonies are sounding good to me as well. I think building it up might be a good approach, I'm sure you have some great ideas on that already. So far, I think the general idea of the song works really well. Looking forward to the next draft.

All the best, man.

Ken

• Like 1

Richard Tracey    252
7 minutes ago, ImKeN said:

Sounding great, Richard! A very retro feel to the vocals and the harmonies are sounding good to me as well. I think building it up might be a good approach, I'm sure you have some great ideas on that already. So far, I think the general idea of the song works really well. Looking forward to the next draft.

All the best, man.

Ken

Cheers Ken - I have an idea where I want this to go, just need to stop coming up with other ideas (i posted another song I wrote on Sunday 'Beyond The Veil', when I should have been working on this track).

Richard Tracey    252
On 09/04/2017 at 10:19 PM, outss said:

Nice let me know how it goes! Could u return the feedback at all? cHEERs. 

Outss - I've commented on your track - I was going to comment before you posted this, but got sidetracked with the new song I posted. You really don't need to ask members to listen and comment as they generally do if you listen to their music and do the same. It can sometimes take a few days as not everyone is on the site daily. Stick around and become a valued member and more people will likely comment. Cheers.

Mahesh    478

Hi Richard,

Loving the 80s vibe bud. A great starting point indeed. I'm interested to see how the arrangement will evolve with the song itself. Variation of the drums has been mentioned already and I agree. I'm sure you're on it. I'd look at experimenting with synth based sounds accompanying the drum track and its variations here and there to add to the dynamics. 

In terms of feedback, I'd suggest playing around with different melodic and rhythmic phrasings. With a nice and strong rhythm being expressed in the arrangement, the vocals have quite some freedom to play around without which there is a risk of the whole song being rigid or stale. The vocal harmonies can be worked on in the same way. 

The idea is still fresh and on its way to becoming a solid piece. I look forward to further evolutions :)

Thanks,

Mahesh

• Like 1

Steve Mueske    170

I think this is a cool sketch. Has a really nice 80s vibe to it, but doesn't sound dated in a bad way. Kind of like a cross between Depeche Mode and Tears for Fears. What you have works for me. The vocal timing will be tricky. My feeling is that you want to aim for more legato type phrasing. I like the minimal feel, would probably try to keep that the focus (at least early on). Always enjoy listening to your work, and I particularly like hearing work in progress to get insight into other people's creative processes.

• Like 1

starise    369

Hi Richard,

Really nice clean mix. Has a retro feel which I like.

I listened a few times to make sure I heard it correctly. A few things I would change. I wouldn't start out with the drums. I would  start with a nice pad fading up slowly and not bring the drums in until 6 or 8 measure later, maybe bring in the kick first and add the other drum parts over a few measures. 

I would keep the "huh oh" line off during the other vocal part so the two don't conflict. For me, this was a potential distraction away from the main vocal. I'm having trouble judging space on my headphones. I might play with panning some, but I might not be getting the best representation on headphones either.

• Like 1

Richard Tracey    252
On 11/04/2017 at 10:55 AM, Mahesh said:

Hi Richard,

Loving the 80s vibe bud. A great starting point indeed. I'm interested to see how the arrangement will evolve with the song itself. Variation of the drums has been mentioned already and I agree. I'm sure you're on it. I'd look at experimenting with synth based sounds accompanying the drum track and its variations here and there to add to the dynamics. 

In terms of feedback, I'd suggest playing around with different melodic and rhythmic phrasings. With a nice and strong rhythm being expressed in the arrangement, the vocals have quite some freedom to play around without which there is a risk of the whole song being rigid or stale. The vocal harmonies can be worked on in the same way. 

The idea is still fresh and on its way to becoming a solid piece. I look forward to further evolutions :)

Thanks,

Mahesh

Cheers Mahesh - I'm also interested to see how the arrangement is going to go:huh:

yeah, I'll need to look at the drums and will be looking at sounds that will compliment the track - I don't want to do anything too messy, so will look at counter melodies to what is there, but will try and use the vocal as the focal point. I think this will really suit lots of vocal melodies going on, so just need to work out how to make them work and not clash.

Richard Tracey    252
19 hours ago, Steve Mueske said:

I think this is a cool sketch. Has a really nice 80s vibe to it, but doesn't sound dated in a bad way. Kind of like a cross between Depeche Mode and Tears for Fears. What you have works for me. The vocal timing will be tricky. My feeling is that you want to aim for more legato type phrasing. I like the minimal feel, would probably try to keep that the focus (at least early on). Always enjoy listening to your work, and I particularly like hearing work in progress to get insight into other people's creative processes.

Cheers Steve - I like my 80's sounding music and always hoping that it sounds fresh and not too dated. DM and TFF are two great bands, so thanks for that. 

Yeah, I am going to have to work in the vocals on this one, as they will be front and centre and don't want them to get messy or buried.

I intend to keep it minimal to begin with and then a bit more later in the track.

I'm the same, I like to listen to a track from its inception through to what it becomes.

Richard Tracey    252
6 hours ago, starise said:

Hi Richard,

Really nice clean mix. Has a retro feel which I like.

I listened a few times to make sure I heard it correctly. A few things I would change. I wouldn't start out with the drums. I would  start with a nice pad fading up slowly and not bring the drums in until 6 or 8 measure later, maybe bring in the kick first and add the other drum parts over a few measures. 

I would keep the "huh oh" line off during the other vocal part so the two don't conflict. For me, this was a potential distraction away from the main vocal. I'm having trouble judging space on my headphones. I might play with panning some, but I might not be getting the best representation on headphones either.

Cheers Tim - I'm glad the mix sounds clear, as it means the plugins I'm using are doing their job.

I'll have a look at the drums at the beginning. I think my first draft before the lyrics was a synth intro, but I removed it for what you hear, so will go back and try that again. As per other comments, I am going to have a look at the drums and I'll look at your suggestion as well.

i'll need to listen to the parts that clash, as I couldn't hear that, but again, it's difficult when it's your song and your mind is tuned into it.

I don't think I have any panning on this as there isn't a lot going on yet, so I wonder if that might fix the issue.

IronKnee    23

Like the vocals, here! Nice song, man. Not too crazy with the drum percussion. Strong melody and the lyric is pretty good.

I'd say you are well on your way to a very good song!

good luck, and

Good stuff!

-Tom

• Like 1

HoboSage    1,915

I like the start and how it builds - the bass coming in - up until about the 0:29 mark, when, BAM!  . . . I think additional drums stuff needs to kick this puppy in full-bore - including something providing a sound representing a "snare" of some type.  Just my opinion.

• Like 1

Richard Tracey    252
8 hours ago, HoboSage said:

I like the start and how it builds - the bass coming in - up until about the 0:29 mark, when, BAM!  . . . I think additional drums stuff needs to kick this puppy in full-bore - including something providing a sound representing a "snare" of some type.  Just my opinion.

'Cheers David - I'll have a look at the drums, as I was doing my own playing, which is sorely lacking in imagination, it might help with the lead in to the next part of the song as well.

Steve Ather    6

I loved listening to this, it's got that 80s retro sort of feel to it, it's definitely inspired by that sort of era and I think that sort of music is definitely coming back in. I think the lyrics are definitely well written, and the music is fitting to the lyrics or vise versa.

Matthew76    232

The sound of the ryhthmic is great...

Like how you sing at the beginning... Very cool opening...

The singing is great too...

Hypnotic to listen... Very good stuff, Richard!

You have a great start there...