Vara La Fey

RADIO FREE WORLD lyrics

Vara La Fey    35

Copyright 2017 Vara La Fey, but all fair use applies. Especially here.  :-)   I also posted a YouTube link to it in the song critique area.

I am the wild west
the hornets' nest
the thought you can't rewind
I am the unopressed
the wave crest
that breaks across your mind

I am the cuss-fest
the bare breast
I drive the censors wild
I am your freenets
your treasure chest
so don't you touch that dial

Just turn me on
You know you wanna, you know you wanna
Come, join the fun
You know you're gonna, you know you're gonna

I am Radio Free World
  I am Radio Free World

Ah, what are you craving?

Can you feel the heresy
the liberty
your masters warned about
I am discovery
an ecstasy
you cannot live without

So come taste the real me
the blasphemy
the lips beneath the veil
I am your setting free
the apogee
I am the holy grail

So turn me on
Come, join the fun

I am Radio Free World
  I am Radio Free World

If I offend you I don't care
I don't put black bars anywhere
I serve all comers with a smile
Once you get with me you ain't gonna touch that dial

Just turn me on
Come, join the fun

I am Radio Free World....

• Like 1

Richard Tracey    252

Vara - these are really good lyrics - they have a real kick ass attitude and would make a great song. The hook seems really strong. Well at least I hear it in my head that way.

what kind of style are you going for?

I kind of heard Muse when I read it.

Vara La Fey    35

Richard, I posted the song link in the Song Crit section. I dunno if the site admin would approve of me posting it here too. I'm curious if it matches up with what you hear in your head? Your version might be better, for all I know!! Not familiar with Muse (oh, I know I've heard some of their stuff somewhere). My direction is usually HR/HM. But sometimes I venture out into the wilds....

Vara La Fey    35

CherryColaLola, I'm glad you like it.  :-)

los peelos    120

hi Vara! wow.. that was a visual feast! great rhythm and flow, original, indie feel to it.. I think its kick ass material...

love to hear the end result..

Neil

Vara La Fey    35

Hi Neil. I'm glad you like it. You're not the first person to describe my lyrics as "Indie", and I'm happy with that. But I never thought about it. Do you suppose that implies a specific marketing strategy, if things ever get that far for me.....?

I posted my demo of the song as it currently stands here in Song Crit.  :-)

Nousevas    4

Interesting and rich lyrics. If I had to find something to critique, it would be that it's not quite clear what "Radio free world" means, is it a radio station or something like that? The thing the verses were describing sounded like some naughty business, and the chorus ells you it's Radio Free World. Or does it mean, that it's a World without radio, where the music roams wild? If that's the case, the song makes sence. But I had to stop to think about it, which could be a good thing in this genre.

The verses are interesting and drive the idea home. The bridge-line "I don't put black bars anywhere" is the weirdest in the song in my opinion, it feels like it could be replaced. But it still works as it is. 

Nice job! Liked the music too.

Vara La Fey    35

Hi Nousevas. The phrase "Radio Free World" has confused a quarter to a third of the people who have read the lyric. It is a take-off on "Radio Free Europe" from the Cold War era, which was actual radio station(s) in West Germany broadcasting Western news and freedom messages into the Iron Curtain. For decades after that, at least here in the USA, people would periodically use "radio free <n>" to mean any medium or effort spreading messages of freedom.

My lyric is about the seductiveness of what should be a totally free uncensored internet. "Black bars" are those little censorship strips put over breasts and such.

I've decided to keep the "radio free" theme because it's a fitting analogy and a spiffy little history lesson, but I will be a lot more careful about historical references in the future. I'm not trying to write history lessons anyway.